Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Genesis ROMs...on a Sega CD?

Banned by Administrators

Default Genesis ROMs...on a Sega CD?

This is either the best or the most blatantly stupid idea ever, but here it goes:

Genesis ROMs on a CD-R to play through a Sega CD.

I mean, you could probably fit all or almost all the Genesis cartridge games on 1 CD (or at least 2 or 3) and since most don't use any special chips (right?) I don't see any reason the Sega CD couldn't run ROMs through its access to the Z80 and 68k with some special boot software. Has anyone tried this? this would be 1000X better than a flashcart to the average user and would theoretically have the ultimate benefit of 100% accuracy because its on actual hardware. The only downside I can think of is that there probably couldn't be any extra features (save states, etc. including battery backup) and you would probably need to reset to play a different game (unlike emulators), but it would still be unbeatably convenient.

Angry Liberal Arts Major Hero of Algol Iron Lizard's Avatar

I can't tell you why but this has been talked about a few times but it can't be done for one reason or another. I wish someone would figure it out.

Raging in the Streets KnightWarrior's Avatar

I don't think it's possible....But I wish

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

How did the 5 in 1 thing work? I always thought they were just Genesis ROMs slapped on a disc.

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

Angry Liberal Arts Major Hero of Algol Iron Lizard's Avatar

Not exactly. Golden Axe for example had the arcade soundtrack on it playing off the cd for example.

You'd be limited to games with only 2 MEGA POWER. While that is still insanely awesome, you'd have to literally reprogram the ROMS for bank-switchin' in order to take advantage of games as large as 6 MEGA POWER. If you wanted games larger than 6 MEGA POWER (which is almost an unfathomable amount of sheer power) you'd have to reprogram them even more so that they load every so often from the disc. Not fun times.

Banned by Administrators

I could deal with 2 MEGA POWER, if I knew wtf "MEGA POWER" was...

Banned by Administrators

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Lizard View Post
    Not exactly. Golden Axe for example had the arcade soundtrack on it playing off the cd for example.
    but that was for "an enhanced experience." IIRC Streets of Rage was pretty much unaltered. If nothing else, those games were just ROMs with a CD soundtrack, which means you could probably make the ROMs work but just without sound, which really isn't all that bad all things considered if it runs at normal speed.

They were retrofitted to be compatible with the Sega CD format, even if they were similar to the cart versions. "Super Monaco GP" for example takes advantage of the CD's sound suite for better sound/music than the Genesis cart version.......I think.

Mastering your Systems Shining Hero TmEE's Avatar

Basically, already done my the MegaCart, you burn a CD with ROM on it, and you can update MegaCart with some of the ROMs at any time on the MD+MCD combo. This is as good as it gets, and there's no real other way to do so.
    Death To MP3, :3
    Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa "Gnirts test is a shit" New and growing website of total jawusumness !
    If any of my images in my posts no longer work you can find them in "FileDen Dump" on my site ^

Banned by Administrators

I guess you're right, only, couldn't you at least play games small enough to fit in the RAM of the Sega CD? I don't see any reason that wouldn't be possible since it would act more or less like a flash cart (at least the way I'm looking at it).

Mega-Dorky Nerd God WCPO Agent nissling's Avatar

I don't think it's possible. And besides..

Cart = No loadtime
    :'D

Extreme Procrastinator Master of Shinobi Flygon's Avatar

I'm pretty sure it could be doable... if you could find a game smaller than 192kb to allow enough RAM to tell the drive to use the Mega Drive?

I am not really sure to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by 17daysolderthannes View Post
    This is either the best or the most blatantly stupid idea ever, but here it goes:

Genesis ROMs on a CD-R to play through a Sega CD.

I mean, you could probably fit all or almost all the Genesis cartridge games on 1 CD (or at least 2 or 3) and since most don't use any special chips (right?) I don't see any reason the Sega CD couldn't run ROMs through its access to the Z80 and 68k with some special boot software. Has anyone tried this? this would be 1000X better than a flashcart to the average user and would theoretically have the ultimate benefit of 100% accuracy because its on actual hardware. The only downside I can think of is that there probably couldn't be any extra features (save states, etc. including battery backup) and you would probably need to reset to play a different game (unlike emulators), but it would still be unbeatably convenient.
    If you are 22 years old and too lazy to switch carts, then you should reconsider your lifestyle.
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Those guys at Sonic Retro boards ported Sonic the Hedgehog 1 and 2 (first acts of both only) to the Mega CD if just for the sake of easily testing mods on real hardware.

It can be done, but I believe it would be more of recoding the cartridge game to the Mega CD format than just placing ROMs on a CD and forcing the system to run them.
    http://www.sega-16.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=154&dateline=15683853  53

Thread Information