Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone else have problems with Carnival Night act 2?

Brandi Chastain?

That's all I've got.

Banned by Administrators

Quote Originally Posted by Aarzak View Post
    The Carnival Night Zone Act 2 barrel is one of the most infamous and unintentional traps in all of video gaming, right up there with "X-Men"'s reset thingy.

I myself was trapped in that barrel for a couple of months back when I got that game until I went with my copy of Sonic 3 to a friend's house. He used to own S3, and they effortlessly went through the barrel and to Ice Cap Zone as I stood there, slacked jaw and all.
    what is "X-Men's" reset thingy?

Quote Originally Posted by Zebbe View Post
    This is my story of this hateful barrel:

Being stuck for what seems to be forever, I'm at it with my stepsister also there. Without knowing how to get past the barrel, I do everything I possibly think of, which leads to a bug (!) that has me jump through the barrel. All is well and I want to continue play, but no, my stepsister somehow takes the controller and won't let me play anymore. She plays a little in what is one of the easiest games on the system, except for that barrel. Being past it, nothing can go wrong, right? No, she DIES - BEFORE touching a starpole!!! That saviour of a bug from heaven was gone forever and we were now still stuck where we had been since the dawn of man!

How did I finally get past it then? Some schoolmate helped me with it, sometime later...

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Venture View Post
    This Off-Topic enough for ya?

thank you sir.

The worst part about that barrel is it takes you at least like 6-8 minutes to get to it and you're almost out of time already, so if you don't know what to do you just die from time expiring and then have to do all that crap again. Its terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by 17daysolderthannes View Post
    what is "X-Men's" reset thingy?
    I believe he refers to the first X-Men game released for the Genesis. If you never played it, I recommend you give it a try. Just don't check any walkthroughs before you do it...

Banned by Administrators

Quote Originally Posted by Kollision View Post
    I believe he refers to the first X-Men game released for the Genesis. If you never played it, I recommend you give it a try. Just don't check any walkthroughs before you do it...
    I've played it, I have it in fact, but I still don't know what he's talking about.

Still not afraid of Y2K Shining Hero Rusty Venture's Avatar

You mean the part where it says you have to reset the machine and you actually have to reset the Genesis system?

Join the USA/NZ strike force team!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantar View Post
    a swedish android, awakened by the touch of Raśl Julia...

Banned by Administrators

You mean the part where it says you have to reset the machine and you actually have to reset the Genesis system?
    really? there's a part in the game that makes you reset the Genesis? WTF? the worst part is that I can't because my Sega Genesis Reset button doesn't work .

I'm dead serious.

I have no idea how they programmed it to know that you were at the end of that specific level when you hit reset. My best guess is magic.

I got caught in a section even yesterday when playing Sonic 3, looked in the instruction booklet while I let the time get to 10 minutes, and saw that you can apparently reset the game and get back to where you were. I didn't dare trust it, though, especially because I was playing in no-save mode.

Pity rep is still rep. Raging in the Streets Mr Smith's Avatar

I'm dead serious.

I have no idea how they programmed it to know that you were at the end of that specific level when you hit reset. My best guess is magic.
    Maybe each game comes with a small Gnome or Pixie inside which monitors progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamahl
    You my lord, are a poet and a scholar. Of death.

Raging in the Streets

I'm dead serious.

The reset button only 'tells' the Mega Drive to unload the game from RAM and start over; like the power button on a TV remote won't fully turn off the set. I'd imagine the X-men game just replaces this signal with something the game understands.

Banned by Administrators

well, if you notice, most (some?) games will keep options the way you left them if you hit reset, most likely getting to that point in the game is stored the same way as the options are stored and so boots it from that point. Still, this really sucks because that means I can't play through all the way until I track down a Genesis with a working reset button .

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Smith View Post
    Maybe each game comes with a small Gnome or Pixie inside which monitors progress.
    This makes the most sense to me.

If I may just drag the carcass of this thread back on topic, I fail to see why there a numerus people on here who struggles with the so-called 'hateful barrel' on Carnival Night.

I never once had a problem with it.

Raging in the Streets

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dilks View Post
    If I may just drag the carcass of this thread back on topic, I fail to see why there a numerus people on here who struggles with the so-called 'hateful barrel' on Carnival Night.

I never once had a problem with it.
    Because you've been 'trained' how to play the game 'correctly' up to then - then POW you're stuck in one tiny area with something you can't jump onto to proceed. It seems obvious in retrospect, yes, but it's really bad level design. Same goes for those spinning pointy platform things in Marble Garden; it's great the level is massive and all, but it's never made obvious how you're supposed to use them and even where to go. I never saw Knuckles' or Tails' version of the Marble Garden boss (the diagonal chain bot) until I watched a speedrun, because I'd always followed Sonic's route.

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Elusive View Post
    Because you've been 'trained' how to play the game 'correctly' up to then - then POW you're stuck in one tiny area with something you can't jump onto to proceed. It seems obvious in retrospect, yes, but it's really bad level design. Same goes for those spinning pointy platform things in Marble Garden; it's great the level is massive and all, but it's never made obvious how you're supposed to use them and even where to go. I never saw Knuckles' or Tails' version of the Marble Garden boss (the diagonal chain bot) until I watched a speedrun, because I'd always followed Sonic's route.
    I thought those flying platform things were pretty obvious. I guess it's not crystal clear where you're supposed to go, but it is obvious how to use them. I "got it" the first time I tried.

I didn't even think Knuckles could follow Sonic's route in Marble Garden. I know Tails can go either way. I did originally always take Tails through the "Sonic route" and to the flying boss, and I only discovered that Tails could go the other way after I played through it as Knuckles and ended up at the other boss. Then I tried several times to make Knuckles go to the "regular" boss and I was never able to. I always thought he couldn't.

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

Thread Information