Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flink

Megadrive Flink

Some of today's younger gamers might not know the name Henk Nieborg, and that's a shame. As one of the most pronounced pixel artists in gaming, his work has adorned such classic titles as Lionheart (Amiga), Shadow of the Beast (multi-platform), and The Adventures of Lomax (Playstation). The first game he designed himself was a little platformer for the Mega Drive/Sega CD called The Misadventures of Flink. Incredibly detailed and bathed in some of the most gorgeous artwork of the era, Flink was equally remembered for being very, very long - and hard (damn hard, if I do say so myself). Fortunately, a brave non-scrub has stepped up and done his civic duty to the Genesis community by braving through the great Flink to bring us a complete review. Read it and learn why this one simply must be in your library.
    Last edited by Melf; 07-28-2011 at 02:28 PM.

Lomax the Lemming (which is a redesign of this game) for the PS1 is soooooo much better. It doesn't crawl along like a slug like this game does.

I could never get very far in this game. I either die very quickly or become bored. By the way you used the Sega CD box when the review is for the cart. The CD soundtrack sucks for the most part.

Wildside Expert

I recently bought the MD version and i liked it a lot. Some of the most wonderful graphics i've ever seen on the console. It's true that it's a bit slow, but it doesn't affect it to a disastrous degree because almost everything moves slow in this game. 8/10 for me as well

Road Rasher

I can't find a copy anywhere to buy

Mastering your Systems Shining Hero TmEE's Avatar

I briefly tried the game and while it looks not bad at all, the "music" made my ears bleed
    Death To MP3, :3
    Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa "Gnirts test is a shit" New and growing website of total jawusumness !
    If any of my images in my posts no longer work you can find them in "FileDen Dump" on my site ^

Quote Originally Posted by otaku View Post
    I can't find a copy anywhere to buy
    Found you one at amazon Three copies, actually. Snag 'em.

Looking around and searching for Sega Genesis got LOTS of hits from Amazon. Worth looking into if wanting to beef up your collection. You simply have to see what one seller is asking for Phantasy Star IV.
    I'm not gonna go get humped by a giant red ape in space.
    -Carl

Rebel scum Shining Hero MrMatthews's Avatar

Really good review! Is this author a member?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Redifer View Post
    By the way you used the Sega CD box when the review is for the cart. The CD soundtrack sucks for the most part.
    The review is for the Sega CD version. Was there anything that referred specifically to the cart? I've only played the CD game, so I don't know if he said something that could apply to both.

How about this:

Quote Originally Posted by Review
    The music is some of the tinniest, whistliest stuff on the Genesis, and not in an endearing, Tinhead-like way.

He might have been referring to the collective Genesis/Sega CD/32X/toaster oven/microwave/Transformer combo, since the Sega CD music is pretty lame. I'll ask him to make sure.

Road Rasher

thanks. I've been blowing tons of money on gaming lately and need to scale back (especially with some upcoming neo geo purchases) but maybe I'll buy this

Quote Originally Posted by MrMatthews View Post
    Really good review! Is this author a member?
    I am indeed.

die very quickly
    That's weird, I always thought that it was almost too forgiving, with the way that you constantly find bottles of magic and the way that dead enemies give you magic, not to mention the way that lost magic after a hit stays onscreen.

By the way you used the Sega CD box when the review is for the cart. The CD soundtrack sucks for the most part.
    Well, if you think that the CD/cartridge soundtrack is bad (they're identical), you should hear the CD32 version. Those samples make the whiny YM2612 stuff sound beautiful in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    He might have been referring to the collective Genesis/Sega CD/32X/toaster oven/microwave/Transformer combo, since the Sega CD music is pretty lame. I'll ask him to make sure.
    Since the CD and cartridge versions are identical, it applies to both. There's no 32X port to my knowledge.

Well, if you think that the CD/cartridge soundtrack is bad (they're identical),
    Somehow I don't think the cartridge version has "CD quality" music.

Somehow I don't think the cartridge version has "CD quality" music.
    The CD version is just the cartridge version on a CD. In an emulator, you can even use save states from the two versions interchangeably.

CatThatCollidesWithThings Wildside Expert Collision Cat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lockett View Post
    The CD version is just the cartridge version on a CD. In an emulator, you can even use save states from the two versions interchangeably.
    Wikipedia sez...
    "Flink, sometimes referred to as The Misadventures of Flink, is a 2D scrolling platform game developed by Psygnosis, reliant on the then still fairly new CD-ROM media to store large levels, highly detailed graphics and atmospheric music (with the obvious exception of the Mega Drive/Genesis version, which is a cut-down version of the game since it was released in a cartridge)."
    Does this mean the CD version was cut down like the cartridge version? That's bad.

Thread Information