Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Predator 2

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by NeoVamp View Post
    Finally bought this game and booted it up, Jesus who thought this soundtrack was a good idea? Its like someone hacked the rom and inserted tunes ripped straight from Puggsy.
    I swear Matt Furniss must just have had a big catalog of original tunes that he once composed and he'd just pick stuff out whenever they needed a music track for a game.
    The music in this game completely fails to make the player feel like he/she is playing a game based on the movie, it loses like 50% of the Predator movie feel.

Don't get me wrong, I think Furniss composed some great tunes. but they should have been used only for original creations like Puggsy.
    They just don't fit for movie games like these.

Someone on youtube said this music makes him picture the Predator going to town, but only to buy groceries and smoke a blunt.
    Oh wow, yeah, I see what you mean. That has to be the weakest soundtrack I've heard from Furniss. No atmosphere at all, to the extent that it actually makes the game feel worse. It's a shame too, as his Alien 3 soundtrack was rather good. That soundtrack was upbeat to match the gameplay, yet managed to retain a fitting atmosphere.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Aleste's Avatar

Hey, this game is good. "XenoCrisis" levels of good, really, given it's 1992 and 8mbit.

I mean, for starters, it's beyond hilarious that they really did a mashup between isometric Arcus and Smash TV shooting, and have the policeman shoots junkies and collect all kind of drugs. If you think about it, even if it's tame on gore, this is the most outrageous game you can get on genny. More than Technocop. More than Outlander. Definitely more than the cartoonish Mortal Kombats. And have you seen that high score table? That screams "home computer" from every pixel, and I mean it in a very positive way.

Aesthetics aside, this manages to follow the movie's plot, while being a simple affair of shooting and saving hostages, however simple doesn't mean poorly done. Since you can't have Alien Syndrome or Alien Breed on Megadrive, I wouldn't disdain this one too much. This getting 4 while True Lies gets an 8 doesn't seem consistent at all.

Genny owners should feel lucky that this one was conceived for the console, instead of porting the rather anemic Dynamite Duke clone that was developed on the home computers.
    Last edited by Aleste; 12-23-2021 at 09:05 PM.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Fozzy's Avatar

I had fun with Predator 2... but yeah, the music sucks. Everything else is pure Predator. The triple laser sight following you around and pushing you forward added just enough tension without becoming ridiculously difficult.
    The last level takes a bit of memorizing the layout but it's not an impossible task to complete. The countdown can be easily beat.

There's also short and simple passwords at the end of each level. That means I don't have to enter 50 frustrating characters just to jump back into the game.

Meh, an average run n' gun. Very hard at first, but once you get the hold of it, it can be playable. Kind of like the music, but this is because I love Matt Furniss's works: it's true it's not one of his best soundtracks.

I just rewatched the movie (for the first time in years), pretty good sequel in my opinion. The game isn't ground-breaking, but I still have a soft spot. I like the music as well

The move is IMO even better than the 1st and I remember getting this game in a trade for my PitFighter in the local ads and to my amazement its actually a really good and well made game / Also the quality of the gun sample was some of the best sampled effect, I ever heard off the MD
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

I decided to give it a second chance and I'll stand for my former post: it's average. Once one knows what to do, it gets more enjoyable, but still, man, that truck on the 3rd level! I had to use passwords to see the rest of the game.
    Last edited by bigladiesman; 06-03-2022 at 02:50 PM.

Thread Information