Quantcast

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Lightening Force: Quest for the Darkstar

Thumbs up Lightening Force: Quest for the Darkstar

King of shmups? Best on the Genesis, or best overall? You'll have to decide for yourself whether or not Lightening Force (Thunder Force IV) truly is all it's been hyped up to be, and to help you out, we've cooked up this handy little review!
    Last edited by Melf; 08-05-2011 at 10:23 PM.

WTF

In my whole life playing Thunder Force IV I never knew that it was possible to adjust the ship speed in units.
    Today I was having dinner and I left my precious MD on for a dessert TF4 session. So what do I see? The computer changing the speed to 66% on the Daser stage!

I know it's not really that useful, but I never cease to be amazed of how much I still have to learn about all the games I love!

Wildside Expert

Some levels of this game I just downright suck at, dunno why if get a game fart and die AGAIN at the samw spot.

kinda tipsy Nameless One ott0bot's Avatar

Ha! I though this was a new review! still decent overall. such an awesome shmup, and one of the best 16 bit hori's out there. for those who find the diffuculty taxing go to the options screen (hold a, b, c and press start) and change your lives to 0. Now you have 99 lives. helps you get the hang of the stages and boss patterns. then go back without the code and give it a real run.

Are You OKAY?!?! Road Rasher JackieBogard's Avatar

game is awesome, i'm not the best at this genre, but i love it. this is probably the best i've played on the genesis thus far (followed by truxton and bio-hazard battle)

So's your old man! Raging in the Streets zetastrike's Avatar

Excellent shmup and one of the first games I got with my Genesis. That 99 lives code should come in handy.....
    Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon
    Nope. Bloodlines is the problem, not me. I have no trouble with Super Castlevania IV (SNES) and Dracula X: Rondo of Blood (TCD), and have finished both games. Both of those are outstanding games, among the best platformers of the generation. In comparison Bloodlines is third or fourth tier.

No, it's unbiased analysis. The only fanboyism is people who claim that Hyperstone Heist and Bloodlines are actually as good as their SNES counterparts.
    My Collection: http://vgcollect.com/zetastrike

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

I think there's also a weapons cheat.

I played this game for a year or so with cheats and then could beat it without loosing a single life.
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

Mastering your Systems Shining Hero TmEE's Avatar

I can play no-hit untl 8th stage, then things start going downhill... I need real TF4, flashcart is not the same :P
    Death To MP3, :3
    Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa "Gnirts test is a shit" New and growing website of total jawusumness !
    If any of my images in my posts no longer work you can find them in "FileDen Dump" on my site ^

I can't say it's my favorite overall, too many good shooters on saturn/dreamcast.

Actually not even my favorite on genesis, musha gets that title for me. However I am partial to vertical scrollers.

I've beaten this game without cheats. You love it even more when you have done so.
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Definitely. In case you are referring to my previous post: I meant that I practiced it for a year with cheats until I could beat it without cheats and without loosing a single life.
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

For years I always wanted Thunder Force 4. The high price and the import factor with the region lock have kept me away. I've only played on rom from time to time. Now I find out that Lightening Force is Thunder Force 4 and is available for little money. Why has this stayed a secret?

Quote Originally Posted by PHANTOM2040 View Post
    For years I always wanted Thunder Force 4. The high price and the import factor with the region lock have kept me away. I've only played on rom from time to time. Now I find out that Lightening Force is Thunder Force 4 and is available for little money. Why has this stayed a secret?
    Because few magazines at the time bothered to mention that Lightening Force was actually Thunder Force IV. The name change cost the game name recognition, and without the info about the name change, the game was basically cast aside by a lot of people.

God only know how many times I've mentioned that one is in fact the other, and how many times I've read, "Really? I didn't know that!" in response.

Currently Reviewing: Galaxy Force (SMS)
    Coming Up:TF3 Side by Side
    Done:

You inevitably get the impression that there's some kind of master plan that Sega of America had to fool people into buying their own crappy games like Talespin and Barbie: Vacation Adventure instead of proper localizations of Bare Knuckle III, Golden Axe III, Monster World IV and Thunder Force IV - but it might as well just have been incompetence! An incredibly mind boggling amount of incompetence.
    Last edited by retrospiel; 11-03-2010 at 03:20 AM.

finally got this cart! It's a cool game, but it doesn't deserve a 10. The score is too high. I'll give it a 8 to 8.5.

Thread Information