Quantcast

Thread: Toki: Going Ape Spit

Default Toki: Going Ape Spit

Everyone loves monkeys, especially when they spit stuff at people. The two are the chocolate and peanut butter of the animal kingdom. And what do you know? We happen to have a review for a game that features both them. Toki: Going Ape Spit was a an original game, instead of a straight port of the arcade hit, but you'll have to read our full review to see how it holds up.
    Last edited by Melf; 09-05-2011 at 10:11 PM.

Death Adder's minion CamelMan420's Avatar

It's good to see that your not at all bias when it comes to these games.
    A lot of people hate toki but i have always liked it and still to this day ill pop it in and have a go at it.

Level 6 Rocket Knight Raging in the Streets jerry coeurl's Avatar

I liked this game a lot when I was younger. I'd like to find a copy.

Banned by Administrators

A solid game. A must own for platformer game fans.

I just picked this up off Ebay. Used to love the arcade.

Road Rasher

The music is extremely repetitive.

I quit video games ESWAT Veteran

It's a pretty fun platformer. I'll have to pick this up on eBay during my next haul.

I'm a orange werewolf!!! Road Rasher Sly Wolf's Avatar
    If you discovered me, I will rip you apart...

one of my friend's dad has this game CIB, but he has crapload of games laying around and buys box full of games from time to time, so I really don't think he plays it because it has been sitting in same spot under 32x add on for years.

I think I should buy it from him, however he only sells extras.

P.S. Mr.Smith, your guts is STILL mine! As a orange werewolf, I should rip out your guts the most painful way that you'll ever imagine! I guarantee this will happen one day! I should eat it like a king.

They had the coin-op in a bar near my house, and I liked it a lot. So when I discovered this in a classmate's house, I asked him to loan it for my copy of... I don't remember what game...

I was a little disappointed to see that beyond part - the 3rd stage's is re-arranged in reggae style, here - of the BGM, the game bore almost no similarity to the arcade, and that the colour palette was watered-down. However, soon I started to like it: the different layout of the stages created a sense of adventure in me, and, morover, while they weren't true to the original, the gameplay was: the enemies and their patterns, the types of spit, the slow moving main character and the one-hit, sometimes cheap deaths. Even the anime-style "Continue" screen with the girl saying "Heruppu Mii" in her best Engrish was there. To sum up: it may not be close to the original, but Toki for MD stands for itself, working more like a sequel of sorts than as an ouright port.

On a sidenote there's an excellent port of this game for the Atari Lynx, quite close to the original.
    Last edited by bigladiesman; 02-22-2017 at 03:16 PM.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert OmegaMax's Avatar

Only played the arcade,will give this a try later today.

I like this to be honest and it may not look as good as many of the later titles but to me it does play better and as a retro gamer that is what I see as important, I like a slower pace for platformer (more Kid Chameleon and less Gunstar) and this fits the bill ,it is also one of the few Megadrive games I have completed.
    I may stretch the score from 7/10 to maybe 7.5/10!

Toejam is a wiener. Master of Shinobi SEGA-Jorge's Avatar

The recent rerelease has me interested in this game again. Might do a few runs on this version then grab it for the Switch. It's looking really nice.

The Switch remaster seems to be a port of the Arcade version with new handdrawn hd graphics. I wonder if they have any additional levels/content included.

Toejam is a wiener. Master of Shinobi SEGA-Jorge's Avatar

I recently got a copy of Toki on the Genesis, and I'm liking it. It's a remix of levels for sure, but I still like it. It has some additional difficulty levels that are absolutely hard as nails. I don't see what all the hate for the game is. It's a console port, it plays well, controls well, the levels are a bit on the long side, and the Hard/Hardest difficulties are quite possibly some of the down-right complicated 2D action platforming I've played from that generation. That alone is enough to make me want to play it. I seriously was getting slaughtered by that game on Hardest. It's just more unforgiving than anything I've played on the console.

Thread Information