Quantcast

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: Streets of Rage III

Raging in the Streets

I think the BK3 box art is actually a bit hideous.

Sports Talker

Quote Originally Posted by retrospiel View Post
    Some Japanese games look VERY American as far as box art goes, Golden Axe 1 and 3 or BK 1, 2 and 3 being prime examples, but also Dynamite Duke or Sword of Vermilion.
    yeah those games have more western themes so it makes sense that the box art would follow suit. I don't think SOA ever had the mechanism in place to consider the use of the japanese artwork. I seriously doubt there was any communication between the japanese and american marketing teams. it seems like SOA were just handed the finished game and expected to do everything necessary to bring it to market in North America.

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BA Black View Post
    it seems like SOA were just handed the finished game and expected to do everything necessary to bring it to market in North America.
    You'd think that, sadly as it turns out the American side were mostly the aggressors when it came to the marketing department.

You should read this sometime, I will quote a part that for me sums up all the hideous artwork we got over the years.

Tom Shiraiwa:

Back then the developers were not so familiar with overseas projects, so whatever the U.S. people said
    the developers felt like they had to do; otherwise the game wouldn't be accepted overseas. And I kind of
    believed in that too. But after a few years we started to realize, "Hey, this is just their ego." ... They
    wanted to change everything they could [so they could say they played a role in the development].
    Even the titles, right? Like Biohazard to Resident Evil. [After] we learned that, developers actually often
    refused to listen to their suggestions, or tried to get a second opinion from someone else.
    But back then on Street Fighter 2, whatever Americans said was the absolute truth we had to follow.

BKIII had a perfectly good cover, but SOA just wanted to act like they had something to do with it as well.
    no wonder they butchered the game when they turned it into SOR3, they were on a huge ego high.

Sometimes a cover change is understandable, especially when its super kawaii SD manga style.
    (which wasn't very accepted in the early 90's)

but stuff like Street Fighter and Bare Knuckle? that's just ego talking.
    (except for BKII, that's clearly Jean Claude Van Damme on the cover)

Sports Talker

there's definitely an element of ego in it but I also really don't think that they were comparing the artwork the way we are now. they did not hold the japanese packaging in one hand and the american packaging in the other, looking back and forth at both, hemming and hawing. there's just too many games where there's no way you could be satisfied with the american artwork if you had done that. if anything, maybe a couple people looked at the japanese stuff early on before they tossed it aside (probably crumpled it up and shot it basketball style into a corner trash bin) and then just went ahead with their normal marketing plan and never looked back at the japanese product ever again.

but yeah, as soon as I read in this thread that it was SOA who did the localization for SOR3 and not SOJ who had done it for the two previous, that pretty much explained everything for me. back in those days SOA thought everything they touched turned to gold so I bet they were massively excited to get a crack at the next streets of rage game and just went overboard with arbitrary unnecessary changes.
    Last edited by BA Black; 09-17-2014 at 08:43 PM.

My favorite BK!!!

10/10 for me!!!
    VISUAL SHOCK!
    SPEED SHOCK!
    SOUND SHOCK!
    NOW IS TIME TO THE 68000 HEART ON FIRE!

Prince of Persia 2 - The Shadow and the Flame Remastered Edition v1.5

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

Man, reading through this thread, one could get the impression that SoR3 is a steaming pile of crap, but, in my opinion, that could not be further from the truth. In several ways, the gameplay in SoR3 is actually an improvement on its predecessors. However, that's not to say that the game is without its share of flaws. Let me begin by addressing some of negative aspects of the game.

The music is not up to the standard set by the first two games. It's not terrible, and it's often interesting. Some of the upbeat techno rhythms can get rather crazy at times, but the epic quality of the previous SoR soundtracks is no where to be found here, and considering that the first game has one of the greatest soundtracks in video game history, this is a major let down. The sound effects are also not of the highest quality, and even glitch out on occasion. Considering the game used a 24 meg cartridge, there isn't an excuse for this.

Now, the biggest issue that most people seem to have with the game is its high difficulty level. But considering the relatively low difficulty of SoR2 as well as SoR3's Japanese counterpart Bare Knuckle 3, I welcome the heightened difficulty. And with the additions of new moves for the characters which make them quicker and more powerful, Bare Knuckle 3 became embarrassingly easy. Therefore, it's easy to understand why SoA felt the need to raise the challenge level.

The censorship issues regarding the costume changes are purely cosmetic, and while I'd prefer that they had kept the original designs from Bare Knuckle 3, it doesn't affect the gameplay and doesn't really bother me. The new character Dr. Zan is decent, but I preferred Max from SoR2, and was disappointed that he didn't return. But I felt the same way when Adam from SoR wasn't in SoR2, so that's just how it goes with these sequels.

Someone here mentioned that the characters in SoR3 are smaller than those in SoR2, but unless I'm crazy, I think it's actually the opposite. The first thing that jumped out when I began playing SoR3 was the large size of the character sprites. Not to say that they were small in SoR2, but they certainly appeared larger to me in SoR3. But as I said, maybe I'm just crazy. At any rate, I don't think it's necessarily a huge difference between the two games. Also, it appears that the character animations seem to be a little smoother in 3 than they were in 2, and it appears as though there are additional frames of animation in the movements.

The gameplay itself got a bit of a facelift in 3 as there are now more attacks for each character as well as a lunge. This comes in handy frequently when you are ganged up on, and are able to quickly role to either the top or bottom of the screen. There is also a running dash now which can be used not only to avoid being attacked, but also as part of your own attack. A visible gauge on the screen is now used and when filled allows you to use a special move at no cost of life. And the grab move from the first SoR is back here as well. All of these upgrades to your character's arsenal make beating up the baddies much easier which is why the higher AI difficulty in SoR3 is welcome to me.

Now, the level design often feels uninspired throughout the game in comparison to the SoR2, and this was a bit of a letdown. However, there are different ways to go through several of the levels which adds some replay value. Along those same lines, there are multiple endings in the game just like in the first SoR. And I like the fact that they put more into the story this time around with periodic cut scenes between the action.

So, all things considered, SoR3 is a mixed bag for sure, but I feel as though the good far outweighs the bad, and it should be at least played by (if not owned) by all 16-bit beat 'em up enthusiasts. All of the negative hype surrounding this game is just that, hype. It's a worthy entry into the series and a cut above most of the 16-bit beat 'em ups out there.

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

BK3 is too easy, you're right. And most of that is due to the massively overpowered special moves, which you can spam over and over, collecting whole groups of enemies in one hit (at least with Axel and Blaze, I don't use the other two because I think they're a bit crap). Blaze's is especially ridiculous, where three or for thugs walk into the last part of her max special. Also those moves are so easy to execute it makes the whole 'power up for one button specials' method redundant, and to me that's just poor design. I one credited the game on the hardest setting with many lives in reserve. BK2/SOR2 is perfect in terms of difficulty since Hardest is a nice challenge to 1CC, and the unlockable Mania setting is there for when I do, which is pretty much nuts.

I haven't played SOR3 yet but any increase in difficulty would be much appreciated. I'm not to worried about Ash being missing or the silly colour palette changes to the main characters clothes, although some of the censorship to the female enemies is annoying for sure.

The review is definitely wrong about the characters being smaller than SOR2.

My pet hate about BK3/SOR3 is the sound glitchiness you mentioned, along with the fact that the samples for the most part just don't have the impact of BK2/SOR2's.

It's still a good game, but the first two are more polished experiences IMO.
    Last edited by OverDrone; 01-22-2016 at 12:17 AM.

Funny thing is, I always thought SOR 3's characters were smaller too. When going from one game to another they always feel smaller even though they aren't.

I'm beginning to think that maybe background objects are scaled differently so as to make characters in SOR 2 seem bigger than they are.

Hero of Algol

Bare Knuckle II and III characters are of the same size:

In BKIII the sprites are more detailed and there are more frames of animation.

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    Bare Knuckle II and III characters are of the same size:

In BKIII the sprites are more detailed and there are more frames of animation.
    Yes I know, which is why I'm saying: could it be that the background objects are scaled differently which makes the characters look bigger than they are? I know it's a general myth that SOR III has smaller characters. It could be due to the relative scale of the objects.

Hero of Algol

My post wasn't a direct reply to yours, stika. Much less a correction or something.
    Just a general addition.

About the scale of things, I don't know, I have to look carefully and compared both games; but I feel like BKIII's screen is usually more filled with objects than BKII's.

My post wasn't a direct reply to yours, stika. Much less a correction or something.
    Just a general addition.
    Oh whoops! My bad

About the scale of things, I don't know, I have to look carefully and compared both games; but I feel like BKIII's screen is usually more filled with objects than BKII's.
    Mmm... that may be it

Nonconformist Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent EyeDeeNo76's Avatar

I was inspired by the sight of this thread to go play and beat Streets of Rage III for the umpteenth time just now using Blaze on normal. Such a short game but like it. The SOR series is one of my fave.

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

I think it was a good idea to revisit the idea of pits from SOR1 in the construction site, and the wind blowing you around was interesting. Grand Upper a bunch of thugs and watch them fly into a hole from half a screen away!

Level wise I also enjoyed the ninja hideout with the hidden rooms, despite the fact it was pink. The less said about the railway section with those periodically appearing train things the better. It's a good idea and baiting enemies into it's path is a nice change of tactics, but it overstays it's welcome IMO.

I'm one of those guys that likes the soundtrack, whether you're a fan of the sound or not though it can't be denied that it just isn't as consistent as the first two games. There's a lot to like, but a couple of misses here and there bring it down - the Ash and nightclub tracks spring to mind.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by retrospiel View Post
    And like its predecessors the artwork covers both sides of the sleeve:
    That's actually pretty common for Japanese MD games, from what I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Gogogadget View Post
    SOR2 music plays at the correct speed on a 50hz console
    Not if you play a bootleg region free USA version! The music gets absolutely crazy on that one, it plays at 5x the tempo.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoVamp View Post
    Streets of Rage 3 (Eur) - A gigantic steaming SLOWER turd.
    For what it is worth, it was lightning fast compared to the PAL version of SOR2 that most people were used to.
    Last edited by zyrobs; 01-26-2016 at 09:36 PM.

Thread Information