Quantcast

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Streets of Rage III

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

I like the "experimental Japanese techno" as well as the other parts of the music. The major difference in comparison to Streets of Rage 2 is that the sound engine sounds slightly tinnier, which is too bad. But the compositions are just mindblowing.

Btw, thanks for the link but the problems I have with SoR3 are not limited to being unable to execute the moves. It's that they're taken away from me when I earned them. It's just frustrating, it's tedious, it sucks.
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

I remember reading an article long ago that stated Yuzo Koshiro purposely inputted sound effects into a cpu program that created the compositions we hear in SOR3. He was looking for a new sound for the third game, and in this sense he succeeded. The similarities between SOR & SOR2 musical scores are undeniable, but other than maybe a few tracks on SOR3, the sound is unique.

As much as I have enjoyed the SOR series, I believe the music in 3 is flawed for most part. Yuzo Koshiro had the opportunity to compose many memorable tracks but instead let technology take the reins for the third trek through the Streets of Rage.

The 6 button controller allows you let go of that frustration of earning and losing your stars. Its obvious SoA realized the difficulty was intense for the third outing, so they created this work-around. As soon as I knew I could perform the upgraded blitz attacks at will, I was satisfied.

Quote Originally Posted by Iced Snowman View Post
    I remember reading an article long ago that stated Yuzo Koshiro purposely inputted sound effects into a cpu program that created the compositions we hear in SOR3.

[...] As much as I have enjoyed the SOR series, I believe the music in 3 is flawed for most part. Yuzo Koshiro had the opportunity to compose many memorable tracks but instead let technology take the reins for the third trek through the Streets of Rage.
    I hear this a lot. But what Koshiro actually did was using the machine (random key generator he programmed himself) to come up with "melodies" which he then used as a base to create the actual composition.

It's very similar to what you'd do when composing yourself, but asking the machine for ideas which you then can accept and work with, or discard in favor of the next random melody.

He was looking for a new sound for the third game, and in this sense he succeeded. The similarities between SOR & SOR2 musical scores are undeniable, but other than maybe a few tracks on SOR3, the sound is unique.
    If you take a closer look at SoR2's soundtrack you'll hear that 1/3 of the tracks are remixes from the 1st game, the second third are some rather memorable tunes like Dreamer or Under Logic, and the final third is the same hardcore techno as you'd hear in BK3: Expander, Spin on the Bridge, or Alien Power. - I am not sure I always liked these tracks but during the past few years I remember enjoying them a lot.

The main difference to BK3 is that these tracks are not as prominently placed as in BK3 where you're thrown into the game's first stage with Fuze playing, followed by Cycle I. - But at least half of the game's tracks are rather memorable even if you're not into this kind of music: Beat Ambience, Moon, Shinobi Reverse, Poets I & II - all of these are awesome, especially on a model 1 Genesis.

The 6 button controller allows you let go of that frustration of earning and losing your stars. Its obvious SoA realized the difficulty was intense for the third outing, so they created this work-around. As soon as I knew I could perform the upgraded blitz attacks at will, I was satisfied.
    Nah, there's not a tiny little thing that SoA did to improve the game. BK3 even comes with a poster listing the button combinations for all the special moves - including the upgraded blitz attacks.

Also the original game is as easy as Streets of Rage 2. SoA just totally fucked up by turning a perfectly balanced game into a frustrating, tedious, and censored pile of shit. I can't believe they actually paid people for that! And if Streets of Rage 3's credits are anything to go by, then there were more people involved in butchering the game than there were programmers and artists involved in creating it.
    Last edited by retrospiel; 08-23-2009 at 08:09 PM.
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Random key generator, sounds spot on to what I was trying to remember.

I agree that the sound from an original Model 1 is always awesome.

SoA could've not included the blitz attacks to be used at will. You get your 1st star, try out your new attack, die and its gone. Trying to stay alive, especially on harder difficulty levels, to get all the stars would drive one mad, as you can attest to.

The whole star concept was flawed, but thankfully you didn't need it to perform the multiple blitz attacks.

SOR3 definitely got thrown through the meat grinder. I'm glad it exists, I just wish it was the next best thing after SOR2, which it is not.

SOR2 will always blow my skirt up!!!!!! <--- Iced Snowman stands by this statement

SoA could've not included the blitz attacks to be used at will. You get your 1st star, try out your new attack, die and its gone. Trying to stay alive, especially on harder difficulty levels, to get all the stars would drive one mad, as you can attest to.

The whole star concept was flawed, but thankfully you didn't need it to perform the multiple blitz attacks.
    Again, in Bare Knuckle 3, the star concept works perfectly. You earn your stars and are able to keep them.

Oh, fascinating. I may just pick up BN3 if the price is right.

Quote Originally Posted by Christuserloeser View Post
    Again, in Bare Knuckle 3, the star concept works perfectly. You earn your stars and are able to keep them.
    Uhm if you die you loose a star to same as it is in SOR3.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoltor View Post
    Japan on the other hand is in real danger, if Japanese men don't start liking to play with their woman, more then them selves, experts calculated the Japanese will be extinct within 300 years.

Well, someone who never ever played a video game before would still loose them but at least it's possible that you keep them at all if you're trying.

Let me start off by saying I love this game. To me it's better than (do I say this..) SOR 2.

Japanese Sonic CD FTW!!! Master of Shinobi Ecco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bablefish View Post
    Let me start off by saying I love this game. To me it's better than (do I say this..) SOR 2.
    *GASP!*

Banned by Administrators

Quote Originally Posted by Christuserloeser View Post
    I like the "experimental Japanese techno" as well as the other parts of the music. The major difference in comparison to Streets of Rage 2 is that the sound engine sounds slightly tinnier, which is too bad. But the compositions are just mindblowing.

Btw, thanks for the link but the problems I have with SoR3 are not limited to being unable to execute the moves. It's that they're taken away from me when I earned them. It's just frustrating, it's tedious, it sucks.
    The only track that stands out to me as memorable and in fact incredible is "The Poets II." Sadly, I believe this is the shortest played track in the game.

The GamesMaster Master of Shinobi JDB's Avatar

Dammit, I want to love SoR3 so much, but I can't. It's a bastard child who calls you names.

Music and new power-up gameplay mechanics aside (which I can overlook), the difficulty is screwed up... It's just too damn hard!

The series went downhill after the first one.

</vent>
    Cyber-Razor cut sir? - To be this good takes AGES - Raśl be with you.

Quote Originally Posted by JDB1983 View Post
    It's just too damn hard!
    Try Bare Knuckle 3 - it is MUCH easier / better than SoR3.

Quote Originally Posted by 17daysolderthannes View Post
    The only track that stands out to me as memorable and in fact incredible is "The Poets II." Sadly, I believe this is the shortest played track in the game.
    Actually, that track is played twice during the game: the backyard alley and the security field before entering the lab.

It's a case of 'more of the same' really, but with a few tweaks as has been mentioned. I enjoyed all 3 in the series but would recommend the first 2 titles over this. Strangely this sells for a lot more than the other 2, it doesn't seem to be a rare title so not sure why that is.

Not as good as the other Streets of Rage games but still a pretty good Beat'em up game

Thread Information