Quantcast

Thread: OutRun 2019

Default OutRun 2019

The most controversial of the OutRun games has been reviewed!
    Last edited by Melf; 08-14-2011 at 06:28 PM.

I don't know why the controversy!

-Multiple Tracks
    example: You can jump to a bridge over you!

-A good Sountrack

-plays MUCH BETTER than the Outrun port!!!

A 7/10 game.
    Last edited by LinkueiBR; 12-28-2014 at 11:56 AM.
    VISUAL SHOCK!
    SPEED SHOCK!
    SOUND SHOCK!
    NOW IS TIME TO THE 68000 HEART ON FIRE!

Prince of Persia 2 - The Shadow and the Flame Remastered Edition v1.5

My favorite racing game for the Genesis.
    Top 5:
    Outrun 2019
    Super Hang-on
    Chase H.Q. 2
    Virtua Racing
    Race Drivin

Super Robot Raging in the Streets Obviously's Avatar

Only a 5? Blah. OutRun 2019 is fantastic. It runs smoothly, looks great and sounds great. Yeah it's not the laid-back tunes of the original Outrun but the pulse-pounding rock of this game fits with the rocket-boosting futuristic theme. There's multiple levels to choose from and the elevated highways are really cool, especially the ones you can jump onto from below. I can't think of many OutRun style games that do that.

I like some of the little touches like not every crash not forcing you to stop. Sometimes you can recover from a spin or land on your wheels in a flip and keep going. It's really awesome to see in action.

The complaint about a lack of two-player mode is puzzling. It's not a feature I expect from an OutRun game. It might be one of my favorite driving games of the era for home consoles.

Nameless One

Agree on the criticism concerning the music as I can't remeber most of the tunes despite spending quite some time with this. On the other hand, they never became a nuisance either (unlike many games from that period running with GEMS audio drive *shuders*).
    Perhaps this would have been better off as a Mega CD game, as it was originally planed according to rumors. That would have also brought true sprite scaling.

Slightly unbalanced difficulty (course 2 is harder than the final one) and grayish color scheme are the only other issues I could think of. So not a bad game at all.
    I like that one can't use the boost all the time without flying off ourse or crashing. That's good game design in my book.

Overall the game came out pretty nicely. Surely there were technically better games, such as the Domark published F1 Racing, from the same year actually. That one gave a better sensation of speed & height also feature sprite scaling and polygons. Outrun 2019 was better in the design and music department however. I really wish there would have been more technology exchange back then. Imagine this game running on F1's engine for example (drools)

So um, I'd recommend this game. Great for a short session now and then. Just like Golden Axe, Altered Best, the Original Outrun etc.

Thread Information