Quantcast

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Quackshot Starring Donald Duck

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lion View Post
    Very true. I think it's pretty neat seeing just how much the team improved while working on those three games too. I'm not sure, but it was mostly the same guys working on all of them, right? Either way, they would have done remarkable things in those later years, for sure. Certainly something more enjoyable than those Virgin games, which were nice to look at but didn't play all that well imo.
    You don't like The Jungle Book, Aladdin or The Lion King?! I think they are superb games but each to their own...

Wildside Expert

I liked The Lion King, but didn't care that much for the others. Not saying they're bad, but they weren't for me, and I'd have been much more interested to see what Sega might've done with the licenses.

To be clear, I haven't played these games much since the 90s, so I'm going from memory here, whatever that's worth. As I recall, I didn't like the floaty feel of the controls in Virgin games in general. I also felt that the elaborate sprite animations, while gorgeous to look at, made it difficult to determine the location of hitboxes and such, and it made for more sloppy gameplay. Stages had great artwork and looked stunning, but all the effort went into that artwork, not into the layout or structure of the stage. As I recall, especially Aladdin seemed mostly like a series of semi-random obstacle courses, with little real thought behind them. They didn't have any build up to moments that made a strong impression, and were ultimately forgettable. To illustrate what I mean, here's an example of a moment that impressed me in SNES Aladdin:

In the Agrabah stage, there's a place where you scale some walls up to the roof tops, and when you reach the top a great view of the palace is revealed. It was a little thing, but it made a great impact on me.

To me, this kind of stuff represents that bit of extra thought that elevates a production. The game itself may not be anything special, just another platformer, and the artwork on characters and backgrounds is not on the same level as the Genesis game, but at least it had that one memorable moment. The Genesis game had nothing like that, and I barely remember any of it.

I liked The Lion King, but didn't care that much for the others. Not saying they're bad, but they weren't for me, and I'd have been much more interested to see what Sega might've done with the licenses.

To be clear, I haven't played these games much since the 90s, so I'm going from memory here, whatever that's worth. As I recall, I didn't like the floaty feel of the controls in Virgin games in general. I also felt that the elaborate sprite animations, while gorgeous to look at, made it difficult to determine the location of hitboxes and such, and it made for more sloppy gameplay. Stages had great artwork and looked stunning, but all the effort went into that artwork, not into the layout or structure of the stage. As I recall, especially Aladdin seemed mostly like a series of semi-random obstacle courses, with little real thought behind them. They didn't have any build up to moments that made a strong impression, and were ultimately forgettable. To illustrate what I mean, here's an example of a moment that impressed me in SNES Aladdin:

In the Agrabah stage, there's a place where you scale some walls up to the roof tops, and when you reach the top a great view of the palace is revealed. It was a little thing, but it made a great impact on me.

To me, this kind of stuff represents that bit of extra thought that elevates a production. The game itself may not be anything special, just another platformer, and the artwork on characters and backgrounds is not on the same level as the Genesis game, but at least it had that one memorable moment. The Genesis game had nothing like that, and I barely remember any of it.
    OK and like I said, each to their own. Aladdin on the Mega Drive is, to me, a stand-out game. A watershed moment that showed just how good a licensed game could be in the right hands. Yes it's way too easy to complete, but the journey, music, gameplay and style of the game is worth every second of your time. It's a superb achievement and there is a very good reason that it went down in history as the console's best selling game of all time.

Wildside Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Drive Bowlsey View Post
    OK and like I said, each to their own. Aladdin on the Mega Drive is, to me, a stand-out game. A watershed moment that showed just how good a licensed game could be in the right hands. Yes it's way too easy to complete, but the journey, music, gameplay and style of the game is worth every second of your time. It's a superb achievement and there is a very good reason that it went down in history as the console's best selling game of all time.
    If you enjoyed it, great. I have no wish to take that away from you. Just calling it how I see it.

If you enjoyed it, great. I have no wish to take that away from you. Just calling it how I see it.
    And I completely respect that. We all have our own tastes and opinions. Welcome to Sega-16 by the way!

Wildside Expert

And I completely respect that. We all have our own tastes and opinions. Welcome to Sega-16 by the way!
    Thanks, man! Happy to be here!

Road Rasher

Hey guys, I really love this game! It looks great, sounds great and plays great. It's just as good as Castle of Illusion and World of Illusion I think. Having said all that the fact is...I'm stuck! At the risk of sounding really stupid can somebody tell me how to get passed the room that keeps repeating itself in Transylvania? I assume I'm missing something obvious. That bloody ghost keeps killing me!
    I love this game and can get past this area easily

Quote Originally Posted by knicksfan89 View Post
    I love this game and can get past this area easily
    lol good for you!

The Genesis game had nothing like that, and I barely remember any of it.
    So you're saying seeing Aladdin with a sword up his arse chasing Abu after every level isn't memorable? Ludicrous!
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by Zebbe View Post
    So you're saying seeing Aladdin with a sword up his arse chasing Abu after every level isn't memorable? Ludicrous!
    I don't recall seeing that in aladdin

Quote Originally Posted by knicksfan89 View Post
    I don't recall seeing that in aladdin
    https://youtu.be/uWhJOIFKtm8?t=14m45s
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by Zebbe View Post
    now I remember

Randomly decided to play through this game tonight out of boredom. This was freaking difficult. I had to use save states for the Viking Ship boss levels and after...quite challenging game. Agree with the guy on page one regarding the forgettable music for an otherwise great game though. That platforming stage of the disappearing blocks a LA Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade was completely unfair though.

Underrated gem...I flashed this and played it on my Genesis Mini. Surprised this did not make it to the final cut alongside Castle and World of Illusion.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

Same, I was really bummed they didn't complete the Disney trilogy from Sega Japan. I absolutely love QuackShot, I think it has become my favorite Mega Drive game. I play it about twice a year, but yeah some stages can be pretty hard if it's been a while since you played. Music could be better on some stages, but there are still some great ones for me. My favorites are Transylvana and the temple in Mexico.

Yeah, I think the soundtrack is quite good with just a couple of sour notes. I think that's mostly due to the arrangement not playing to the sound chip's strengths when it starts trying to bring in horns, cymbals, and other loud wind or atmospheric sounds. That hideout theme is pretty bad and a sad way to go out, but I can hum most levels' songs from memory. It's definitely one of the system's better games.

Thread Information