Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rolling Thunder 2

Default Rolling Thunder 2

Rolling Thunder 2 takes just about everything the original did well and does it better. Sharper and more detailed graphics, a greater variety of weapons, smarter and more plentiful enemies; all make for a great sequel. Namco adopted an "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality here, leaving the game play intact.

Read the review.
    Last edited by Melf; 08-21-2011 at 12:20 AM.

great game even part 3 is great

I also loved this game.
    Fast action, great graphics and a very cool leading lady.

What? Shir is gone? Raging in the Streets StarMist's Avatar

Three for three: this is a great game. Too bad changing characters makes no difference and Namco ceased working with Sega later on.

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

I think this is easily my favorite Namco game.
    "... If Sony reduced the price of the Playstation, Sega would have to follow suit in order to stay competitive, but Saturn's high manufacturing cost would then translate into huge losses for the company." p170 Revolutionaries at Sony.

"We ... put Sega out of the hardware business ..." Peter Dille senior vice president of marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment

Good review and good game. But contrary to what the review says, there IS health power ups in this game, labeled as "special". They sometimes add to your timer, but more often they heal or give you a third hit point.
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

A very intelligent platform shoot-em-up from Namco with very nice graphics and sound. I plug it in my Mega Drive for a play every now and again but bloody hell it's tough! The password based levels do help you overcome the challenge to some extent but it's definitely one of those games that I would have probably mastered as a kid when time wasn't a problem but as a busy adult it just kicks my arse every time.

Social Justice Ninja Master of Shinobi IrishNinja's Avatar

easily in my top 10 genesis games, great write up as usual!

Sports Talker

Music conversion is terrible. What's there has been torn to bits and there's very little of it actually there. Rolling Thunder 2 is a game where the music is a very large part of playing it, so yes, this does matter.

I'd rather not talk about the actual article, which has such "gems" as the author's fake rant over what he sincerely believes to be a serious problem (not being able to shoot when jumping).

Super Robot Raging in the Streets Obviously's Avatar

I think the music is fantastic personally. It's one of my favorite soundtracks on the console. Of course the arcade soundtrack is better, but when is this ever not the case?

Not being able to jump while shooting is kind of expected in Rolling Thunder. It's not Contra and it's not meant to be played that way.

You'd probably be more pleased with Rolling Thunder 3 which adds more abilities like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Despatche View Post
    Music conversion is terrible. What's there has been torn to bits and there's very little of it actually there.
    I am only familiar with the Genesis port so learning that is a shame. I didn't think the music sounded particularly good (the instruments feel weak) but what is there sorta fits the mood at least.

The jumping/shooting thing doesn't bother me, mainly because the game's methodical pace discourages flinging yourself forward without thinking about the consequences. For some people though, less control = bad control I guess.

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Obviously View Post
    Of course the arcade soundtrack is better, but when is this ever not the case?
    Plenty of times. Off the top of my head: Snow Bros, Zero Wing, Dangerous Seed, Midnight Resistance, Chelnov, Darwin 4081, Gauntlet (actually has stage music), Strider and Slap Fight are all arcade ports with better music than the source material. Double Dragon 2 is probably better overall as well IMO.

I wasn't a fan of Rolling Thunder 2's (MD) soundtrack either, I like 3 better though in this area.

Nameless One

Had no issues with the music, but could have been definitely better. Another Namco game, Dangerous Seed, had such a fantastic remix of the original tracks, so I think there's some wasted potential here.

Now what can't be stressed enough is that they actually included extra stages and bossfights. At least I couldn't spot them in a longplay of the arcade version. New/returning enemies include panthers and big red robots (the ones that take over and fire). My memory is a bit cloudy here but I believe the made at least 3 extra stages: the one with the robot boss, the one with the enemy rush at the end and the one with the big cannons in a cave.

Would have been great if Namco continued their support when other companies raised the audiovisual bar on the system.

Nameless One

Any extra's in the genesis version that's absent in the arcade?

Super Robot Raging in the Streets Obviously's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by loempiavreter View Post
    Any extra's in the genesis version that's absent in the arcade?
    The post above you already said it. There's three extra stages, more weapons and more bosses. Also the Genesis has the in-between level pictures to tie the level progression together. It feels like a more complete game overall than in the arcade.

Thread Information