Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rolling Thunder 2

I'm not familiar with the arcade version of RT2, but I have no problems with the soundtrack of the MD version; in fact, "across the tube" and ( especially ) "view of dynamism" sound particularly great to me. It's a tough, hard game but it's never unfair, which goes to show the excellency in the level design of the game. Rounds 5 & 7 are expertly design IMO.

One aspect that wasn't mentioned before here is the game's score system; having a password system is great, but I think that RT2 shows all of it's greatness when played for the 1 credit clear. Also, the 2nd mission allows you to have a deeper understanding of the game's mechanics in order to stand a chance of clearing the game. Do I kill that henchman or do I hide from him in order to save precious ammo?

I'm thinking about writing a review for this game to put it on Gamefaqs ( since there are none there ), at least as a testimony of - perhaps - Namco's finest effort for the MD.
    Last edited by Bottino; 05-06-2016 at 10:42 AM.

In for real challenge? This game will break you!

But with such pleasant anime visuals, colorful backgrounds easy listening music (which you can listen to in an outrageous sound test with an alien band and a CD-like control panel. Only in Namco (and Data East) and a bit o' Bond copycat sense of humour, I think you won't want to throw your pad into the nearest wall. It's an enticing and inviting game, rather than frustrating, and you'll be playing it for hours and hours.
    The password system is the funniest I've ever seen in a game: you'll have to create a sentence with the words the game gives you. And the results are hilarious, like "A Natural Fighter Created The Genius".

On a bottom line: anyone of you guys now why Namco published as Namcot on their Sega releases? Something to do with not wanting to lose their contract with Nintendo?

8 & 16 bit guy Outrunner Bloodreign's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bigladiesman View Post
    In for real challenge? This game will break you!

But with such pleasant anime visuals, colorful backgrounds easy listening music (which you can listen to in an outrageous sound test with an alien band and a CD-like control panel. Only in Namco (and Data East) and a bit o' Bond copycat sense of humour, I think you won't want to throw your pad into the nearest wall. It's an enticing and inviting game, rather than frustrating, and you'll be playing it for hours and hours.
    The password system is the funniest I've ever seen in a game: you'll have to create a sentence with the words the game gives you. And the results are hilarious, like "A Natural Fighter Created The Genius".

On a bottom line: anyone of you guys now why Namco published as Namcot on their Sega releases? Something to do with not wanting to lose their contract with Nintendo?
    They published Famicom games in Japan with the Namcot logo as well, I've heard it's something to do with their home console division making games, but don't quote me on that.

Thanks. I'll check it out.

Edit: Seems you're quite right, Bloodreign, so you didn't need to be modest , but, holy shit, people, check this thread on AtariAge. It seems that the Namco/Namcot issue stirred some [civil] debate there.
    Last edited by bigladiesman; 02-15-2017 at 01:53 PM.

Bring on the noise! WCPO Agent Bones Justice's Avatar

This is another game that I missed out on. I have seen Rolling Thunder in the arcade once a long time ago. I never realized that there were three of them for Genesis! Not sure how I missed out on these but I will check them out.
    Slayer-1: "Minus 210 degrees...minus 215...minus 220. Why are you still standing?"

Bones: "My will...will not die."

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ-iQfP3mFs

Road Rasher

This game is pretty near perfect. It is so close to the arcade version in terms of gameplay that it really is a better playing game, if only due to the added levels. The arcade version has better sound and graphics, but that is to be expected anyway. The one gameplay item from the arcade i wish they kept was the ability to exit doors while collecting ammo, as this is great for 2 players, you dont both have to enter together to get the ammo, you can get your share then leave the rest for the other player.

Its f***en brilliant, end of story.

Quote Originally Posted by Bones Justice View Post
    This is another game that I missed out on. I have seen Rolling Thunder in the arcade once a long time ago. I never realized that there were three of them for Genesis! Not sure how I missed out on these but I will check them out.
    Only 2 on the Mega Drive, the first one was on NES. The 3rd one is rather shit compared to the second one, which is a real shame that it went that way. No good reason to make it single player, the 2 player mode was awesome. All they had to do was make the game play the same as RT2 and have two characters for 2 player action, but they seem to have made a bit of a mess of it really.

Road Rasher

The review is flawed in that it states there is no way to get more health, there certainly is, just check all doors and shoot certain parts of the screen where boxes are, for example, the boxes before the truck in the first stage, not at the back of the truck, but before it. Duck and shoot, get a special.

Toejam is a wiener. Master of Shinobi SEGA-Jorge's Avatar

This game is so insanely good. It's a really sharp, well designed and constructed game. I need to revisit it soon.

Quote Originally Posted by SEGA-Jorge View Post
    This game is so insanely good. It's a really sharp, well designed and constructed game. I need to revisit it soon.
    Yeah, like I've said in a previous post here, it's Namco's finest game on the MD and probably one of their best efforts in that era.
    2nd mission (hard) mode is where you see their expertly game design really shine and learning the intricacies of each stage is equally fun, challenging and rewarding.
    Last edited by Bottino; 12-18-2017 at 07:21 PM.

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

I need to get this game back, I sold my JP version foolishly when I needed some fast cash and I regret it. I still have part 3, which is solid but probably not on the level of 2.

Live and learn, eh?

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by OverDrone View Post
    I need to get this game back, I sold my JP version foolishly when I needed some fast cash and I regret it. I still have part 3, which is solid but probably not on the level of 2.

Live and learn, eh?
    Its not even close to the standard of RT2.

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

On the plus side, I like the strategizing with the new weapon selection in RT3. Opting out of taking a weapon gives you a potential health bonus IIRC, and you can still find the stage default weapon in the field anyway.

The angled firing is nice and doesn't make the game the cakewalk you think it would, although 2 is still tougher from what I remember. There's a couple of hidden 'shortcuts' revealed by blasting the scenery too.

Certainly dropping co op play was a peculiar decision though.

Road Rasher

The lack of 2 player mode totally killed it for me.

I love all three in the series. I put a lot of time in on 2 on Genesis and 1 on Famicom especially.

Thread Information