Quantcast

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Shining Force: The Legacy of Great Intention

Default Shining Force: The Legacy of Great Intention

It remains one of the true classics of the 16-bit era, and Genesis fans owe it to themselves to play it through at least once. We are, of course, talking about Shining Force: The Legacy of Great Intention, and it is one heck of an adventure. Our full report inside!
    Last edited by Melf; 08-28-2011 at 03:55 PM.

Hey.... Ive played this, but on snes. Is it the same as the genesis verion?
    Euro... Trash... Girl

Nope. Shining Force is a Sega game and a Genesis exclusive.

Ah then it was played on a super wild card machine.
    Euro... Trash... Girl

Master of Shinobi ary incorparated's Avatar

ahah,You can also play MD games very cheap by rom with the magic drive,And I tought you also could play some snes games on the MD,dont know for shure.

This game is overrated, and it's mostly a ripoff of fire emblem for the nes. The battles are very addicting, but the AI sucks and there's not a lot of depth to it.

It didn't ripoff Fire Emblem. In order to rip it off then Fire Emblem would have needed the same circumstances as this. And this was localized while FE on the NES wasn't. The AI can be kind of stupid, but not always and when you say that there's not much depth to it I assume that's because you don't speculate?

Or you haven't tried other games in the series? And why do you say it's overrated specifically?
    weasels you pansy

uh...

Well, if I understand you correctly, that doesn't make sense since both were created in japan, FE came earlier and they even start out with the same scene! There are a lot more similarities but I haven't played through FE yet.
    What I meant was that there isn't much detail put into the battle system, just the basics. It's still fun to play, but compared to other 16-bit titles (or by todays standards) it's subpar. When the battles is about the only good part of the game, then they'll have to be better than that to deserve as much praise as the game gets.

Yeah, I've recently bought SF2 and I love it. So far, it's much better in every way. I've also played the CD and Gamegear titles and they're pretty good.

FE did indeed come out first. But it wasn't very well localized in the western market compared to SF. So for many people SF was the first game to play that way rather than FE because of poor marketing.

And the simplicty is what I like about the game. It's a strategy game but it doesn't feel like a strategy game. And I think that the other parts of the game are fine, I like the story. Fairly mediocre, but if you play all of the series put together and speculate... well then it's glorious.

Anyway I'd advise you to keep collecting the games, at least through the Saturn if that's available to you. The GBA games and PS2 ones are a bit more controversial and I don't like them as much. Although a couple are decent.
    weasels you pansy

uh...

i really dont like rpgs but this one grabbed my attention because of the battle system its better to me than any other rpg ive played on any system its one of the only genesis games i can just kick back relax and zone out for a couple of hours. this seems like a really good game to have on a portable system

Solid review, really makes me want to play it. I've been trying for some time now to find one at a decent price. I love me some Shining the Holy Ark, Landstalker and Dark Savior, but have never done the strategy RPG thing before. I've wanted to play SF3 for forever, but refuse to touch it until I've played the previous games. So the Legacy of Great Intention waits...
    "Enduro" is a symbolic journey through life via the media of a race.

I really tried to like this one, especially since I love Shining Force II, but I just can't. I don't have any complaints about the graphics, sound, or setting, I like those, but the AI is quite terrible and it's a bit slow and has clunky menus, which kills the fun for me. It's a shame.

The GBA remake did fix the speed and menu problems (and added in some nice things of it's own)... but didn't fix the poor AI and added more problems of it's own, so it's hard for me to really recommend either, sadly.

Extreme Procrastinator Master of Shinobi Flygon's Avatar

The AI is terrible, the graphics quite literally only use half of what the Mega Drive has to offer but yet...

I love this game, sure, some of it is childhood nostalgia, but the sheer simplicity of it earns a major plus from me. Plus it held one of the most interesting things known to mankind.

My avatar!

Thank god Shining Force II ironed out most of these issues. ^_^

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

Great game, quite dark for an RPG (the dead rise from their graves and they talk about what it was like to come back? creepy shit)

I love both Shining Force games, but you just can't compare them, the first one is quite linear and dark and epic, while the 2nd one is more free roaming and tongue in cheek.

yeah if you enjoy RPG's then you gotta have the Shining Force.

Genesis STILL does! Outrunner runback22's Avatar

I love both of them....The graphics and music are extremely charming.....To me, these games are the epitome of 16 bit charm...

[/url]

Thread Information