Quantcast

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Shining Force: The Legacy of Great Intention

The grind is what kills me in this game. You keep getting new characters but they end up being so far behind that it's not worth trying to level them up. Musashi was the first character that I had since what Zylo or Guntz that could come and make an immediate impact. Healers and mages beyond the limited physical damage they can do well mages at least spells but they have terrible movement so they always end up being left behind. Healers end up being extremely difficult to level up to 20 since healing give you limited EP. And the enemies later on end up getting so powerful ain't no way imma leave them mfers alive to potentially kill my squad. I can get those demon mages down to 1-3 hp and let the healers take them out but i'm not going to take that risk and get hit with a Freeze 3 spell. Also I would like to know why the Chaos Breaker gets a Freeze 3 while the Sword of Light gets Bolt 2 which I find to be much better than Freeze 3.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoltor View Post
    Japan on the other hand is in real danger, if Japanese men don't start liking to play with their woman, more then them selves, experts calculated the Japanese will be extinct within 300 years.

Grinding is inevitable in SRPGs, so you either have the Shining Force way, where you can use EGRESS to replay certain battles in order to level up your weaker/newly acquired characters or the Fire Emblem way, where you need to put every single drop of EXP to good use in order to level up your characters without using those dreadful arenas ( and you still have the risk of losing your characters permanently in case they are defeated in battle ). There's a third way, like in Tactics Ogre, but it's terrible that's not even worth using as an example.

The routine of getting more powerful characters as the game progresses, but naturally making it harder to properly leveling them up makes sense, in order to minimally balance the game; for instance, Alef is one of the most powerful mages in the game, but she's one of the last characters you can recruit. It's reasonably tough to level her up, but in exchange you can have a real powerhouse on your team for the final battles. If you don't think it's worth it, you can keep using your veterans and go on with the game.

This allows for a degree of versatility and customization that makes the game more interesting. I personally have cleared the game using all of the most powerful characters and also using only the starting team complemented with the most weaker characters. Great fun all around either way.

If I'm not mistaken, you can hit enemies with Freeze 3 and 4 from an extended distance, when compared with other spells. Also, certain enemies that you encounter later in the game - that are hard to hit as well - are more vulnerable to it, since they use a lot of fire-based attacks, making the Chaos Breaker an powerful asset, both for long ranged and closed quarter combat.

Master of Shinobi midnightrider's Avatar

I know I don't have the patience for Alef, Torasu(learns level 4 Aura, but then, that should only really be useful for the final battle, where the 3 Shower of Cures should be enough anyway), and Adam. Hell, I don't know if Hanzou is worth bothering with, since he comes in in with 5 battles left.

Of the Knights, I don't know who the next best choice after Guntz is. 2 guides suggest Arthur turns great, but he's still kind of squishy for end game, and what he learns for magic is level 1. I don't think he's worth it for someone than gains better defense/attack.

If you give up a Warrior, Gort and Luke trade places between who has better attack and who has better defense all the time. I think ultimately Gort will have better defense, but still.

Lyle vs. Diane(at a lower level she has better stats than Hanz), good overall movement vs. moving though forests/mountains, however since there are none in the final chapter(or at least the end game if I'm remembering this chapter wrong), Lyle would most likely remain the best choice there.

Honestly, of the healers, you have her so long, you may as well just stick with Khris. She learns level 2 Aura, and after promotion can fight halfway decently too, with better staves.

Of the mages, I tend to stick by Tao, since fire works against undead, and she's the only one that specializes in it. I shouldn't have to say anything about Domingo, though his defense stops growing/being effective by late game, while he always remains a high priority target for the enemies.

I would easily replace the birdmen with Kokichi(even if his defense isn't great, still, a flying knight, which means throwing spears a safe-ish distance) and Bleu(who may eventually grow the strongest defense of your characters).

Zylo does get much better offense late game, though he might miss a lot against chimeras and dragons. Better attack than even Musashi, who can often kill late game enemies in one hit.

Where the game gets a bit rough for me is that I tend to try to even level the characters I use. So, let's say we're talking about the battle against Kain, all my other characters are level 18, and I've got Bleu at level 8(replacing another level 18 character), I take the time to get him to 18, then I move everyone else, plus him, to 19, 20, and promotion. For those moments, I'll get whoever killed for the sake of catching up(you kill so many enemies along the way that you more than make up the cost to revive your teammates), while if I'm deliberately trying to gain levels, the hero/Max never leaves the starting point.

That said, for the final chapter, I just said "fuck it" and let whoever got the next turn kill whatever they could.

Banned by Administrators

Quote Originally Posted by Bottino View Post
    Grinding is inevitable in SRPGs,
    Have no idea what you guys are talking about. I never grind in any Shining Force game on any difficulty, that's what makes them awesome. Are you guys trying to level up all characters or something?

As for SRPG that do force grinding to be even possible to beat (games like Arc the Lad where you can't even land a hit on enemies if not leveled enough), they're not even worth playing in my opinion. It's supposed to be "strategy RPG" not "grind to win RPG."

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Prince Talmit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thief View Post
    Have no idea what you guys are talking about. I never grind in any Shining Force game on any difficulty, that's what makes them awesome. Are you guys trying to level up all characters or something?
    I was confused by those comments too. I had to think about it, no I never had to grind, and I did try to level up every character. I've played 1, CD (all Chapters multiple times, bitd), 3 Scenario 1, and Resurrection Dark Dragon and played them straight through, rarely messing up and having to repeat a battle.
    Just as Da_Shocker mentions, keep a new character protected/out of range and strategically whittle enemies down to a few HP, then have your low level character move in for the kill.

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Shocker View Post
    The grind is what kills me in this game. You keep getting new characters but they end up being so far behind that it's not worth trying to level them up. [...]
    get [enemies] down to 1-3 hp and let the healers take them out [...]

Banned by Administrators

Well it is his first time. I do recall having a hard time with some battles in my first Shining Force game, Scenario 1, and that's the easiest SF game on default difficulty - I believe. SF1 is definitely harder, and SF2 even more so. Only SF1 is kinda balanced strange, or more abstract I should say, which kinda throws people off. But I've come to like this quality about it.

Social Justice Ninja Master of Shinobi IrishNinja's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thief View Post

As for SRPG that do force grinding to be even possible to beat (games like Arc the Lad where you can't even land a hit on enemies if not leveled enough), they're not even worth playing in my opinion. It's supposed to be "strategy RPG" not "grind to win RPG."
    exactly this - i grind in FF tactics, FE etc but Shining games are well-balanced enough where i just keep em moving. i'm sure it'd be less challenging if i were to take whatever options some might have to repeat battles & grind but ive always enjoyed the stock challenge they brought.
    take an enjoyable but lesser SRPG like Vandal Hearts - there were a few battles that felt like i legit should've approached them at a higher level. Shining is so great because when a battle's gone tits-up, the majority of that has been on my strategy, not as much my stats.

Master of Shinobi midnightrider's Avatar

So, for the non-grinders, how early do you promote, and what level do you usually end up completing the game at?

In the mean time, this last time I tried some different things:

Stuck with Anri instead of Tao. You don't seem to need fire once you're past Shade Abbey. No more zombies and skeletons, at least not with any frequency.

I looked at the character guide at RPGClassics and they had led me to believe that Alef doens't learn anything past level 2. My mistake(as I saw footage showing otherwise), as I would have found level 3/4 Bolt really useful, but then, it really would have been a pain to try to get 5 more levels, promote, then catch her up to everyone else.

Went with Mae as the centaur knight of choice. Could have made a worse choice. It's odd watching her go from high defense/low HP to average defense/high HP. Basically as she gets worse, she still stays solid. I'm convinced Pelle is the same way. Arthur may be worth the effort, but if you don't have the patience, those 2 would be the next best choice, as they start off capable fighters, and stay as such the whole way.

Unless it was just the luck of the draw(randomized leveling being what it is), Luke would eventually surpass Gort, so ultimately when it came time to add Musashi to the team, I chose to let go of Gort.

I did try, but I still don't think Torasu's worth the effort by the time you get him. It takes a lot to level up healers, and Khris does at least learn a couple levels of Aura.

Adam also doesn't feel worth it. By the time you get him, he deals 1 damage to any enemy.

If it hasn't been said. Guntz and Bleu are easily the MVP's(though if you do have the patience for Adam, he's probably the next best thing).

In Your Mind Road Rasher Night Driver's Avatar

The link to this review is 404. The game doesn't appear in the index of reviewed games either. ???

The author requested its removal, so now we have no review.

Thanks for the info.

Are there any other games that have had their review taken down?

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

It looks like the following reviews by the same author were also removed:

Gain Ground
    Twinkle Tale
    Yu Yu Hakusho: Makyo Toitsusen
    Robo Aleste (Sega CD)
    Starblade (Sega CD)

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    Thanks.

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post

Gain Ground
    Twinkle Tale
    Yu Yu Hakusho: Makyo Toitsusen
    Robo Aleste (Sega CD)
    Starblade (Sega CD)

they are indeed

Yeah, so they're available now if anyone wants to review them.

Thread Information