Quantcast

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Shining Force: The Legacy of Great Intention

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Agh, you beat me out by just a hair! Next time I'm calling dibs in the forum thread, lol! Looking forward to reading your review though Phantar.

Yeah, I can't say I'm quite down with those themes as a Catholic. I get a lot of Japanese media has these themes (YuYu Hakusho is of course another example of demons) but I thought that what was going on in Shining Force II was a bit much for me. Seemed a bit dark and satanic for an otherwise banal video game. I had played quite a bit of Shining in the Darkness, and was expecting something more along those lines, or Fire Emblem when I attempted to play through Shining Force II many years ago. I got something that was thematically, quite...different. I had also played through a bit of Shining Force III, but got halfway through the game before I realized my disk was rendered unusable due to scratches from whom I purchased it used. It's good to know the rest of the games in the series have the same themes, probably won't pursue any of the others.
    I respect that. I'm assuming the stuff in the Castlevania series is also a no-no in that case? It's funny but growing up playing the Shining Force games I never really thought too much about the overall theme and tone but yeah, Mr. Cat is quite correct, the Shining series is pretty bloody dark actually. Lots of people dying, demons being summoned and the dead being resurrected. It's cutesy graphics belie it's satanic content. Oooh listen to me getting all high brow.

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

In retrospect I'd even go as far as saying that Shining Force II feels extremely toned down, in the first game you had all this stuff about demonic possessions and the end of the world.
    but in Shining Force II its like "omg lol look at that weird ghost possessing the king and kidnapping the princess."

I bet they toned down the darkness when they translated it, but the more cartoonish graphics surely also help in making everything feel less dark.

Great games actually, shame that he feels uncomfortable playing them. its really all about good vs evil.

Master of Shinobi midnightrider's Avatar

I find that to be a rather unusual take on things. I mean, you are literally the titular Shining Force in these games. While dark stuff happens, your goal is to ultimately stop it at the source.

Don't get me started on Castlevania either. Warren Ellis proves that it can be interpreted in wildly different ways(in case you're too blind to notice the introduction of Trevor Belmont was praying at an alter with a big ass cross).

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

It is about good versus evil, as it is in the Castlevania games and indeed in a great many games, but I don't think it's the narrative setup which makes people of faith uncomfortable rather than the overall content. You could argue that most horror films have a good versus evil narrative running through them, but that's not going to be enough to make somebody watch them who is uncomfortable with the onscreen depiction of graphic violence and gore, no-matter how righteous the hero may be. Hell, even Altered Beast apparently got into hot water in certain bible belt US states when it was released as one of the launch titles for the Genesis back in 1989, because of the themes contained within the game.

Master of Shinobi midnightrider's Avatar

Hmm... I suppose that reminds me of the issues people had with the morality systems of original X-Box era western RPGs. Still not something I could personally understand, I mean polygons(/pixels)... You're not actually losing your morality and turning into a Sith lord that thinks it's OK to mentally force bullies into committing suicide(which you don't witness for the record, it's just something you can do through conversation with the Force mind powers in the 2nd KoTOR game).

When I was younger, I couldn't handle Christian themes in media, for example the tunes "Lavdate Dominum" and "Hey Lord" by Helloween, so I always skipped them and I was also disturbed by seeing crosses in churches in games, such as in Phantasy Star. But as I've gotten older, I don't care about it any more.
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Thread Information