Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

I really like this game. It isn't perfect but I don't understand why people hate it so much.

And the Japanese cover doesn't look that awful:
    Last edited by retrospiel; 02-07-2013 at 06:33 PM.
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

I haven't played either of them for a very long time & maybe my expectations were less then, but i knew what i liked & still remember them both with great fondness..
    http://hgutl.com/
    The home of my retro gaming wallpapers

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by hipposticks View Post
    The way I see it, if you loved Miracle World (as I did), then you should at least like Enchanted Castle. I'd give it an 8. What makes these two games great is the items you can buy/win: bikes, choppers, boats, fireballs, levitation, etc. Even Sonic doesn't have such interesting items. The graphics and music are solid but nothing special, which is more than can be said for many Genesis games.
    This.
    It's a nice little game, but only for those about to appreciate its own "cute" style. I find the graphics OK, nothing bad. They're very simple, yes, but the game didn't require much more than that and, at least, the palette choices don't look weird IMO.
    People usually love this game in Brazil. I have sold several Japanese copies around here.

I understand Alex Kidd fans must love this one, but, for me, this is the worst game of the series just above High-Tech World. After being able to play it, I think even BMX World is better than this. It's not horrible, mind you, but it's just that they not only didn't even bother offering new play mechanics (at least, every Alex Kidd game on the SMS was different), but abused the janken minigames and morover we had them censored. I think several tweaks both and novelties both technical and play wise would have made this into a jolly good romp with our very dear elephant-eared monkey-man.
    And, well, there was that Western cover art. I remember browsing old catalogs back on 1992-93 and wondering why was Alex (or rather "that nerd") wearing a catholic school shirt.

Road Rasher

to me the 9 out of 10 score is justified as this was one of the first md games I saw and the moment I saw this game I knew I wanted a MD

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

When I first play this game as a kid, I got stuck at a certain spot and ended up calling the Sega Help Line and they told me to pray 100 times at a little alter or something. HOLY COW how was I ever supposed to figure that out!? Maybe there was a clue I missed, but this has always stuck with me as TERRIBLE game design. I probably had fun with the game anyway though, just because back then most kids only had a few games and you played the crap out of them no matter what. I'm looking at you My Hero

P.S. I literally owned Alf on my SMS, which is probably worse than My Hero though

Thread Information