Quantcast

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 49

Thread: Arrow Flash

  1. #16
    Phosis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,037
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Obviously View Post
    I think the American artwork is pretty badass but it suits my personal tastes better than the anime girl one because as a mecha-nut I like looking at mechs and "80's cool" designs. Not as sweet as what they did with Gaiares but I like their style anyway. The red border is a eyesore though and the European art is my favorite.

    Sega published the game themselves in Europe so I'm guessing for the US release Renovation was left to their own devices with the art and that's why the European cover wasn't used.
    Girl from Musha Aleste vs. girl from Arrow Flash?

    Yeah, she'd eat that little blue haired bitch for breakfast.

  2. #17
    Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Cologne, FRG
    Posts
    7,816
    Rep Power
    93

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tasuke View Post
    AF was a SEGA product, and yet they handed off it's U.S. localization to a third party (Reno) while handling the JPN and Eu editions themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phosis View Post
    Why did they really need 3 separate art styles? Was the Euro version not American enough? I can understand not using the Japanese artwork over here, but three different art styles seems pretty excessive.
    I think Sega of Japan is not responsible for what the other dependencies do. If Sega of America did not want to release the game it either remained unreleased or was picked up by other video game publishers such as Renovation (which in 1993 was bought by Sega of America and closed down).

    Sega of Europe had different priorities. They changed some covers yet again or in a few rare cases reverted to the Japanese originals, and even released a handful of games that never made it to the US - such as Zero Wing, Wonderboy 3: Monster Lair or Super Fantasy Zone.


    Quote Originally Posted by Tasuke View Post
    oh well, SEGA U.S. always did tend to make most of their business decisions as if they were a group of mentally handicapped stoners anyways...
    I agree. They had no idea what they were doing back in the day.
    Last edited by retrospiel; 01-07-2011 at 10:58 PM.
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

    Then we set about developing killer games.

    - Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

  3. #18
    Master of Shinobi Kollision's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Brazil
    Age
    45
    Posts
    2,171
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Damn, seeing all these box arts is making me want to play Arrow Flash again... even though I think the game is quite mediocre.

  4. #19
    Super Robot Raging in the Streets Obviously's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Pennsyltucky
    Posts
    4,171
    Rep Power
    62

    Default

    In the case of Arrow Flash it seems kind of clear. If you're trying to sell a shooting game to little boys in the United States you don't put a smiling blue haired little girl on the cover.

    Imagine how odd the Japanese box would've looked on the store shelves back then.

    The cover disparity thing is a dead horse though. Depending on your artistic predilections sometimes the westernized versions were better and sometimes the Japanese versions were better.

  5. #20
    Wildside Expert Mr Nuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    West Midlands - UK
    Age
    50
    Posts
    195
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    I quite enjoy arrow flash although it can get quite repetitious,one thing i have always remembered it for though is the spaceship crashing into the ocean in the background and all its lights sparkle as your playing,one of those things you see in a game and never forget it.

  6. #21
    ♥Konomi Yuzuhara♥ Outrunner Tasuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    OREGON, U.S.
    Age
    39
    Posts
    609
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Nuts View Post
    I quite enjoy arrow flash although it can get quite repetitious,one thing i have always remembered it for though is the spaceship crashing into the ocean in the background and all its lights sparkle as your playing,one of those things you see in a game and never forget it.
    indeed. that was pretty much exactly what i myself remembered about it
    throughout the fifteen years in between trading off my U.S. copy
    in the early nineties, and acquiring my current JPN MD copy
    around 2008ish.

    that, and the level with that crazy wavy parallax background effect...



    Quote Originally Posted by Obviously View Post
    In the case of Arrow Flash it seems kind of clear. If you're trying to sell a shooting game to little boys in the United States you don't put a smiling blue haired little girl on the cover.

    Imagine how odd the Japanese box would've looked on the store shelves back then.

    oh i fully understand that. though the obvious logic of that fact certainly doesn't stop me from bitching and bellyaching about it anyway...
    Last edited by Tasuke; 01-14-2011 at 11:23 AM.
    Konomi Yuzuhara

  7. #22
    Phosis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,037
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Its wierd to think that back then, Arrow Flash could have potentially come out with that cover, in some other crazy universe.

    When I was a kid, anything anime or manga was referred to as "Japanimation", and was widely known for being cartoon porno, regardless of genre, or plotline. I remember my mom being extremely wary of me even watching shows like Robotech. I was fascinated with the art style at the time, so the marketing probably would have had the opposite effect, and I probably would have wanted that game if I had seen it on the shelf, simply because anything with that sort of content was "weird" or "taboo."

    Now, I see people reading that shit on the train on my way home from work, and nobody bats an eye. Back then, I had to trek to a hidden comic shop for a day and spend thirty five bucks just to pick up a volume of Ranma. Which, if my mom had known at the time I had been reading, she would have had a fucking fit. I remember going to great lengths hiding that book from her. One half glimpse at hand drawn titty, and that thing would have been in a garbage bin some miles away.

    I am not a fan of those things in general. MOST anime is boring as hell to me, and I can rarely get behind the constant melodrama that those things, and many of the fans who stand behind them represent. I find it stupendously difficult to hold a meaningful conversation with any self appointed "otaku" that does not in some way involve the Japanese culture, which I do not find all that interesting on it's surface level to begin with. Also, these people seem to purposely repulse most normal, level-headed human beings, and make themselves incredibly embarrassing to be around in public with other adults. Still, I will always really like the art style because it brings back nostalgic memories of a time when all we got were bad dubs, "Westernized" cover art, and where finding even a picture of something remotely beyond that was an exciting find.

  8. #23
    Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4,637
    Rep Power
    102

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kollision View Post
    Damn, seeing all these box arts is making me want to play Arrow Flash again... even though I think the game is quite mediocre.
    Hey, nice review (on your 1CC Log site)! Your English is better than most native speakers.

    Does Arrow Flash do any region autodetection stuff? I just played through the first part of Stage 1 in the Japanese ROM, and the "OUT OF DANGER!" message was the same, but maybe that's just the emulator I was using. I was hoping it'd be in Japanese, so that we could see if it was a bad translation.

    EDIT: Ha, one of the comments on this Youtube video makes a great point -- a couple bars of that intro music are totally lifted from "You Keep Me Hangin' On". Between that and Curse paraphrasing "Here Comes the Sun", it seems like this is a common vice among second-rate shmups!

  9. #24
    Super Robot Raging in the Streets Obviously's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Pennsyltucky
    Posts
    4,171
    Rep Power
    62

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phosis View Post
    Its wierd to think that back then, Arrow Flash could have potentially come out with that cover, in some other crazy universe.

    When I was a kid, anything anime or manga was referred to as "Japanimation", and was widely known for being cartoon porno, regardless of genre, or plotline. I remember my mom being extremely wary of me even watching shows like Robotech. I was fascinated with the art style at the time, so the marketing probably would have had the opposite effect, and I probably would have wanted that game if I had seen it on the shelf, simply because anything with that sort of content was "weird" or "taboo."

    Now, I see people reading that shit on the train on my way home from work, and nobody bats an eye. Back then, I had to trek to a hidden comic shop for a day and spend thirty five bucks just to pick up a volume of Ranma. Which, if my mom had known at the time I had been reading, she would have had a fucking fit. I remember going to great lengths hiding that book from her. One half glimpse at hand drawn titty, and that thing would have been in a garbage bin some miles away.

    I am not a fan of those things in general. MOST anime is boring as hell to me, and I can rarely get behind the constant melodrama that those things, and many of the fans who stand behind them represent. I find it stupendously difficult to hold a meaningful conversation with any self appointed "otaku" that does not in some way involve the Japanese culture, which I do not find all that interesting on it's surface level to begin with. Also, these people seem to purposely repulse most normal, level-headed human beings, and make themselves incredibly embarrassing to be around in public with other adults. Still, I will always really like the art style because it brings back nostalgic memories of a time when all we got were bad dubs, "Westernized" cover art, and where finding even a picture of something remotely beyond that was an exciting find.
    I think Target Earth would've totally sold more copies to the Robotech and early Japanimation fans if they wouldn't have fucked up the cover art. I'm not sure why they changed that one. For Arrow Flash though I can understand why they might have assumed they would be missing out on a wider audience.

    My anime preferences are usually relegated to the older shows and even then it usually needs to involve giant robots or at least a lot of action. The modern stuff and its fan community aren't really appealing to me at all.

  10. #25
    Phosis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,037
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Obviously View Post
    My anime preferences are usually relegated to the older shows and even then it usually needs to involve giant robots or at least a lot of action. The modern stuff and its fans aren't really appealing to me at all.
    Agreed. I can watch with great tolerance a lot of the stuff from the nineties and eighties. It looks much more organic than more recent outings, a lot of which seem to rely WAY too much on CG techniques, and end up just looking plasticy, and poor.

    A lot of televised anime is very inconsistent, and bad looking, simply because they seem to outsource to multiple animators. Kenshin, one of the more tolerable shows around, seems to suffer from this quite a bit, but I have seen it occur in all kinds of different shows. I liked early Evangelion, but never got to the end, though I heard it took a major hit in the quality of the animation as the series progressed.

    Some of the more obscure things that don't make it over here I tend to enjoy, most of it older. As silly as it is, stuff like GaoGaiGar which is so ridiculous, and pokes fun at the giant robot genre is a blast. But more recent shows like Naruto, etc, I was only able to stomach for a very short time before quickly becoming jaded. It could also be that I am finding all of the WRONG shows to watch of course, but that happens with anything.

    To put it simply, I cannot just look at an anime and make the assumption that "it is Japanese, and therefore must be better than anything Western." Likewise, I can't do that the other way around. Considering my two favorite movies are Akira, and Apocalypse Now, I can safely say that I have been able to find a balance, preferring quality far over country of origin, culture, etc. But a few people I know absolutely refuse to watch or pay attention to anything that comes from the very country they live in, and are CONVINCED that a life in Japan would be the life for them. For as much as these people claim they know about Japan, it seems like they know next to nothing, and are simply basing their knowledge of the country on whatever TV shows and games they like from there.

  11. #26
    Super Robot Raging in the Streets Obviously's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Pennsyltucky
    Posts
    4,171
    Rep Power
    62

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phosis View Post
    GaoGaiGar
    You're my favorite person of the day.

    It actually did make it over here, sort of, but they only released one or two DVDs then stopped due to poor sales because they didn't market it at all.

    All works should be judged by their own merit, not their medium, which is what makes most otaku insane because they've compartmentalized their minds into anime and not anime. The same goes for people who think all anime sucks because it's anime. It's all just flippin' cartoons to me.

    I really highly recommend the new Gendy Tartakovsky (Dexter's Lab, Samurai Jack) cartoon, Symbionic Titan if you haven't seen it yet. It's heavily influenced by old school anime and the first half of season 1 has been incredible.

  12. #27
    Master of Shinobi Kollision's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Brazil
    Age
    45
    Posts
    2,171
    Rep Power
    50

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    Hey, nice review (on your 1CC Log site)! Your English is better than most native speakers.
    Thanks, glad you liked it.

  13. #28
    Road Rasher Mark Robert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    470
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    I enjoy Arrow Flash quite a bit. In fact, the more I play it, the more I like it. It definitely is an engaging shooter although by-the-numbers. The graphics are decent for its time and the soundtrack is awesome. It definitely is one of the easiest shmups on the genny but that's a breath of fresh air considering most genny shmups hand me my posterior.
    Babies...the unfortunate by-product of a good time.

  14. #29
    Master of Shinobi Curryman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,446
    Rep Power
    29

    Default

    A generic and forgettable shooter.

    5/10

  15. #30
    Raging in the Streets SEGA.GENESIS1989's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    3,456
    Rep Power
    75

    Default

    Considering this is a lesser known title, I am really enjoying this game. The colors are minimalistic but the game's execution is quite good. It is not a arduous game but not every game has to be. Shmup purists will scoff at the title for not offering up a challenge that tests their mettle. I think most people will find this title enjoyable. If you lose a life, it has more to do with your poor reaction time or lack of proper character placement rather than poor level design.

    Personally I like the music in this game. I did not notice that the game's introductory tune has some ressemblance to the motown song "You Keep Me Hangin' On" until it was mentioned. Maybe Renovation was a fan of the Supremes!

    I think that if I acquired this game back in the early 90s, I would be enamoured with the ability to change from a plane to a mech. Although the japanese coverart looks quite nice, I personally favor the European coverart since it captures the essence of the game.
    "There's nothing to fear, except fear itself"
    http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/link2link2link/YUZOKOSHIROISAGODNEOSEEDEDITION.gif

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •