Quantcast

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Crusader of Centy

Now with 33% more @$$! Master of Shinobi Assman's Avatar

More buttons? Did I wake up in a weird parallel universe where the 6-button controller never existed? Fuck! I don't want to live here, this universe sucks.

Death Bringer ESWAT Veteran Black_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by azonicrider View Post
    The Genesis is an arcade-oriented machine, thats what it does best at
    How is the Genesis color better when doing "arcade-oriented" games? You know that arcade games cover all genres and are defined more by being designed for short periods of gameplay than anything else right? As far as visuals go, arcade games generally shoot for over the top gorgeous visuals, to attract players to their machine. The kinds of visuals which are far more demanding than Zelda games.

The Genesis' colour problems, FM sound, 3-button controller, make it not really suited for this genre IMO. The Saturn would be the best tool for the job.
    Why settle for Saturn when you could just use a Playstation 5?

Alright forget what I said, the Genesis is just as good as the SNES and Saturn for RPGs. Who needs PCM audio, more buttons, and a more healthy amount of colours.
    Please give us examples of the multiple overlapping sampled sound/voice effects and well-utilized excessive coloring in Zelda LttP (Beyond Oasis and Light Crusader use lots of samples). What I'm most curious of all is, please let us know what the eighth dedicated button is used for in the game, that makes it impossible on a regular 6-button Genesis pad? I really don't remember having to keep track of 8 buttons in the greatest adventure game evAR made.

Its not about how many colours you can put on screen, its about flexibility. When everything is using the same colour palette, you can't animate colours in the river without screwing up other things that use the same palette.

The bigger factor though, is one console has 100 shades of blue, the other has 5000 shades of blue.

How many more shades of blue do you need?

Instead of always making grand statements about things you don't understand, why not do some research first? The bottleneck for Genesis games isn't having enough blues and even the SNES can't make use of 100 blues in its backgrounds, let alone in a single color-cycling river tile. Without getting into how the massive master palette actually hurt too many SNES games, this should break it down simple enough for you to not dismiss everyone else's facts as biased opinions:

Unfortunately, all the SNES screenshots I found were double-sized. So I re-sized the Genesis pics as well. It was very hard finding non-distorted Genesis screen shots, so there are many better examples.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Raging in the Streets Yharnamresident's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Assman View Post
    More buttons? Did I wake up in a weird parallel universe where the 6-button controller never existed? Fuck! I don't want to live here, this universe sucks.
    Oh yea the 6-button controller. I now consider the Genesis a better tool for the job.

I'm not joking. I tried Beyond Oasis with a 6-button controller, holy shit it is so much more convenient. The map, weapon, and item menus are actually mapped to different buttons.

Gameplay time is significantly increased, instead of screwing around with menus.

RPGs need more shades of blue!!:

Certified F-Zero GX fanboy

Formerly segafan1989 Master of Shinobi 4Runner's Avatar

I just finished Centy and it is a great game! The color choices for the lands as well as the music really make this game pop. The only gripe I have about it is that it's really short. But, the gameplay is excellent and I liked how they incorporated animals for powers. Pretty cool gem for the mighty Genesis!

Ah, yes, our very own Zelda clone, and it's awesome at that: beautiful to look at, squeezing the MD colour palette to the max, with lots of cute and engaging characters and ingenious level design, along with a soundtrack that shows that the YM2612 still made the catchiest tunes ever on a video game console and, over all, a splendid balance between action and adventure.

A sometimes forgotten masterpiece.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Aleste's Avatar

Since the Mini 2 comes with no less than seven ROMs of this one, accomodating a serious localization effort for the times, I came here to ask whether the supposedly better UK translation is an advantage worthy of suffering the game in Its very crunchy and slow (poorly optimized) 50hz PAL state...

However It must be said that I completely forgot my initial dilemma once I met this legendary "shades of blue" topic...

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One Xhojn's Avatar

The UK got a better translation? Now that I have the mini I have been meaning to finally play this even though I have an everdrive and had it on my backlog for years!

Quote Originally Posted by Xhojn View Post
    The UK got a better translation? Now that I have the mini I have been meaning to finally play this even though I have an everdrive and had it on my backlog for years!
    It's not a clear cut which English translation Is better, read the whole thread and you'll find supporters of both.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleste View Post
    It's not a clear cut which English translation Is better, read the whole thread and you'll find supporters of both.
    After posting this I saw another thread which was comparing the two. I find it fascinating that the game was localised into English twice.

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingMaster of Shinobi Gryson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xhojn View Post
    After posting this I saw another thread which was comparing the two. I find it fascinating that the game was localised into English twice.
    The reason is because, bizarrely, Sega of America opted not to publish the game. (Instead, they published classics such as Disney's Bonkers and Desert Demolition around that time.)

Atlus was then able to license it from Sega and publish their own localization in North America. Meanwhile, Sega of Europe localized it for their market.

I still find it odd how the different regions of Sega decided to release games or not. I'm used to Europe not picking them up due to how many languages they tend to do but surprised it was America who said no and Europe who said yes for a change.

So this game at some point pulls you one of those in-jokes that I found irresistible, to getting rid of one of your medals by giving it as a present to a kid. An absolute "Let's not wait for Shadow on the floating continent" moment.

I did say irresistible, so I couldn't resist throwing the medal away. Am I done for?

I've played a couple hours of it now and have got my second animal companion. The animation is superb but the sword is a pain to use, not sure if this is just because it's the starting weapon or if that's how it works. The area after you get the ability to pick things up was a right pain in the ass. The combination of the wind with the fish jumping up and shooting you did me in a bunch. One point I was right by the end, standing on the island with one bit of health waiting to jump on to the yellow....octopus? but the wind started going and a fish shot at me so I jump up and get carried off the island to my death. I'm enjoying it and want to play more but so far this isn't a Link to the Past beater.

I finished the game on Sunday and I think my previous post comes across as too harsh. This is trying to be it's own thing and have the same top down perspective as Zelda. I enjoyed the animal companions with their varied abilities. The art throughout the game is superb as is the music. The sword play did still annoy me at times in regards to trying to fling the sword at the right angle to hit the enemy and completely missing. I wish we had more games like this on the console and I hope we might get more thanks to the homebrew scene.

If you haven't played this game do it!

Still have never played this...is the game as long as the average Legend of Zelda game? I've enjoyed them but always felt like they drag a little bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

Thread Information