Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mickey Mania: The Timeless Adventures of Mickey Mouse

Default Mickey Mania: The Timeless Adventures of Mickey Mouse

There's usually a lot of debate as to what the best Disney game on the Genesis is. Whichever one you prefer, there's simply no denying the brilliance of Traveller's Tales' wonderful platformer Mickey Mania: The Timeless Adventures of Mickey Mouse. Chock full of great special effects and very challenging, the game is one of Mickey's best efforts. Read our review and see why you simply need this game in your collection.
    Last edited by Melf; 08-09-2011 at 08:52 AM.

Proud 16-bit War Veteran ESWAT Veteran David J.'s Avatar

I remember there was a TV commerical, right?

I wanted to play this back in the day and a year ago I've finaly got my own copy.
    The smell of scorched oil hangs in the air as a premonition of danger, while the engine gloriously shouts its war cry...

Throughout history, suspicion has always bred conflict. The real conflict, though, resides in people's hearts. This conflict has just begun.

nes x-men nes x-men nes x-men

Master of Shinobi ary incorparated's Avatar

ahh mickey mania ,its a fun game but not impressive graphics for a sega cd at least not the best,this is a typicall model of a Multi port,thats why i think the graphics doesnt push any limits of genesis or sega cd since its not exlusive,its also on snes so it doesn push any graphs.I know why toy story looked better on snes,since toy story want animated that well they used sprites and layers,Lucky snes that couldnt handle as much animations as genesis,they just could pump their color pallete into the sprites and backround layers since they didnt do much toy story had more foto kind of graphs then real 3d What some say a bit of a clay look,thats the point for snes.but the game also looked good on genesis.I like mikey mania just becoause i have conected my multimega om my tv so if i play,played it i can do it on genesis,ports arent graphically a real achiefment in that time but could look just nice and colourful.i like the mdcd version best because it gifts you with loads of fun and better music,i like the game it is really funny esspecially those kiddy but fun characters,I remeber how sloppy al funny the old mickey cartoons looked it was so fun.Steamboat willy ruled .aah it doesn push the systems grphics aldo it lookes like it does but still its a fun game i give it a 7,5

Yeah, I like the red ones too.

me to?

Banned by Administrators 16bitter's Avatar

I rented the SNES version back when it was new. Any opinion as to which version is best?

The mega cd version,and the megadrive version are among the best,the psx version is pretty fine,ill go with the mdcd version if i where you,better graphics and all the textures on the doors etc,Rumor,that this game shows over 256 colours in screen in some levels,i think that rumor is Bulshit.

Proud 16-bit War Veteran ESWAT Veteran David J.'s Avatar

Ah yes I forgot there was a PSX version released as Mickey's Wild Adventure.

Always did wonder how it looked and played. Too bad it was a PAL only release.
    The smell of scorched oil hangs in the air as a premonition of danger, while the engine gloriously shouts its war cry...

Throughout history, suspicion has always bred conflict. The real conflict, though, resides in people's hearts. This conflict has just begun.

nes x-men nes x-men nes x-men

Stuck in the Past Shining Hero The Jackal's Avatar

Mickey Mania has to be my favourite Disney game on the Genesis. Sure, I adore QuackShot, Castle and World, as well as the Virgin efforts, but you just can't beat this in regards to creative and challenging levels. Also, the Genesis version shits on the SNES version; both musically and the fact it has no loading. Yes, the SNES port has loading. A cart game. Has. Loading.

As owner of both the cd and genesis mania games I would say the cd is better in my opinion.
    Maybe I didn't give a real chance(not because its mickey, I actually loved magical adventure for snes) but its not so fun to me either way. I do like the retro mickey at the start of stage 1.
    As far as gameplay is concerned I must over time have become very stupid with my fingers cause I cant even get past the first stage.
    If you give it its due though I am certain its worth it.
    Maybe I should test my meddle using this game to hone my platforming.

Quote Originally Posted by The Jackal View Post
    Mickey Mania has to be my favourite Disney game on the Genesis. Sure, I adore QuackShot, Castle and World, as well as the Virgin efforts, but you just can't beat this in regards to creative and challenging levels. Also, the Genesis version shits on the SNES version; both musically and the fact it has no loading. Yes, the SNES port has loading. A cart game. Has. Loading.
    "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to The Jackal again."
    Damn.
    [ QCF, HCB + K ]

Ninetailed Noob Raging in the Streets KitsuneNight's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Jackal View Post

dont go have head splodie just yet
    sf alpha 2 had loading as well

i have the ps1 version of this game ( i dont like platformers )
    it looks gorgeous but fuckballs is it hard

I remember purchasing the SNES version of MM several years after owning the Genesis version, and being surprised and appalled over the not-so-subtle loading times. It's one of the few SNES games to hold that infamous distinction, the others being Fatal Fury, Batman Forever, and of course Street Fighter Alpha 2. Interestingly, the former two also had Genesis versions with nary a loading time. Either the SNES versions had some shitty programmers, or they compressed the hell out of the data in order to save cart space.

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by Aarzak View Post
    Either the SNES versions had some shitty programmers, or they compressed the hell out of the data in order to save cart space.
    Not exactly... It's more related to the Mega Drive using packed pixel while the SNES uses planar graphics (+ its slow CPU). Packed pixel is better for compression (especially when you think about the sort of schemes those old CPUs could handle), so you usually store the graphical data using packed pixel. Since the SNES uses the planar format for exhibition, you need to convert the graphical data after having decompressed it. So, uh, the SNES CPU would already be slower than the MD's one for most of the decompression methods, which would already result in more noticeable loading times and, then, you still need to add the packed pixel-to-planar step (something the MD doesn't need to do since packet pixel is its native format); in the end, you'll get many more games with noticeable longer loading times on the SNES.
    Some other examples: Another World (again, SNES loading times longer than the Sega CD ones!!!) and Phantom 2040 (in game loading only on the SNES).

Stuck in the Past Shining Hero The Jackal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KitsuneNight View Post
    dont go have head splodie just yet
    sf alpha 2 had loading as well

i have the ps1 version of this game ( i dont like platformers )
    it looks gorgeous but fuckballs is it hard
    I can forgive Alpha 2, that was an impressive port. Mickey Mania, though, was not. It looked identical to the MD version.

Thread Information