Quantcast

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hands-On: Golden Axe: Beast Rider

Mad Hands-On: Golden Axe: Beast Rider

Sega recently plunged its arm into the reservoir of properties its been sitting on for years. What it pulled out was a new Golden Axe game, one that would reboot the franchise and bring it into the current generation. Unfortunately, the reboot resulted being more like a swift boot in the ass, as Beast Rider is everything a Golden Axe title should not be. Sega-16 put the game through its paces, and we're not only disappointed; we're downright mad. Instead of a great new game destined to bring the series back to greatness, what we got was a snoozefest with a weak combat system, bland level design, and a horrible camera. Read our full report for all the sorry details.
    Last edited by Melf; 01-03-2012 at 02:18 PM.

Wow. I can't believe that you actually bought this AND played it to completion! You are either a masochist or you are willing to take the biggest lumps for the cause!

I only rented it, so it's not all bad.

Oh, OK. Good choice!

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

Hey, I love the site, but this review was kinda sad! I think game critics nowadays are getting waaay to jaded, and are focusing almost exclusively on the negative aspects of almost any given game.

These people just want experiences that are not challenging, and just hand everything to you on a silver platter, like the God of Wars and Bioshocks of the world. I think these games are great, but their appeal is almost completely in the aesthetics, admit it. I'm far more satisfied being challenged with the timing and strategy of Beast Rider than I am with the shallow button mashery of God of War.

Again, I'm not bashing GoW, it's a fantastic game, but to produce a game that's more challenging than this will net you low marks on metacritic apparently.

Now we're never getting another Golden Axe EVER thanks to you jerks!!

Also consider the folks at Secret Level who are so talented, and so passionate about this property, and worked on it for sooo long. What's next for them now? Are they gonna get sacked because you stooges didn't have the patience to sit for ten minutes and learn the dodge and parry system? When Halverson calls you clowns irresponsible, he has every right to do so.

Still love the site though, I just thought I would vent a little!

Welcome to the next level Road Rasher GEN ESIS GAMER's Avatar

I was afraid this would happen I haven't played the new golden axe yet but from what I have heard it relly sucks.

btbighammer... are you... Dave? C'mon, admit it.

Quote Originally Posted by btbighammer View Post
    Hey, I love the site, but this review was kinda sad! I think game critics nowadays are getting waaay to jaded, and are focusing almost exclusively on the negative aspects of almost any given game.
    It's quite hard to focus on any positives, when such fundamental things like camera work and level design are so broken.

These people just want experiences that are not challenging, and just hand everything to you on a silver platter, like the God of Wars and Bioshocks of the world. I think these games are great, but their appeal is almost completely in the aesthetics, admit it. I'm far more satisfied being challenged with the timing and strategy of Beast Rider than I am with the shallow button mashery of God of War.

Again, I'm not bashing GoW, it's a fantastic game, but to produce a game that's more challenging than this will net you low marks on metacritic apparently.
    How do you think Beast Rider is more challenging than Bioshock? Because of the optional ranking challenge that you only unlock after beating the actual game? The game that can be beaten in under 7 hours, without even using any of the dragon statues it gives you?

My beef with Beast Rider has nothing to do with challenge, unless by "a challenge" you're asking: what do you call trying to enjoy a game that has repetitive gameplay, unimaginative level design, and a horrible camera?

Bioshock can be challenging if you choose to play without using the Vita Chambers, just as BR can be hard if you choose to do the ranking challenge with Ax Battler's sword. Both are quite easy otherwise, and it's very simple to pass BR by button mashing. Had the combat been designed better, someone wouldn't be able to do that.

Now we're never getting another Golden Axe EVER thanks to you jerks!!
    No, we're not getting another Golden Axe thanks to Secret Level beating the franchise into the ground. If you want to blame someone, blame them, not consumers for not running out to buy a crappy game.

Also consider the folks at Secret Level who are so talented, and so passionate about this property, and worked on it for sooo long. What's next for them now? Are they gonna get sacked because you stooges didn't have the patience to sit for ten minutes and learn the dodge and parry system? When Halverson calls you clowns irresponsible, he has every right to do so.
    Dude, please take some time to look into what you're criticizing before you post. I played the game TO COMPLETETION, and I finished two out of three "Trials of Tyris" achievements. I think that qualifies me enough to opine about the quality of the game. Furthermore, if you even read my review, you'd see that I had NO ISSUES with the dodge and parry system in terms of actual control and gameplay. My beef with it was that the talented and passionate people at Secret Level didn't know how to balance it correctly. When done right, Tyris was a bad ass. Unfortunately, Learning when to press right for blue and left for orange - which is just SO deep and complex a system - doesn't work when one of each attacks you AT THE SAME TIME.

Again, the fact that you can pass the game just by button mashing shows that this system isn't as profound as you or Halvy make it out to be. Any combat system that can be completely ignored isn't exactly central to the gameplay, ya know?

As for Secret Level loving everything Golden Axe, I don't see it. The game has almost nothing that connects it to the series, aside from the name and the characters they chose (which could be swapped out for generic no-names and no one would know the difference). Even Death Adder himself sucked. That last battle had me LOLing at just how bad it was. Here's a great example of the wonderful gameplay you love so much - your energy bar refills constantly during the final battle! I played on hard and didn't die at all while facing Adder. Even worse they actually had him turn into a snake? WTF? How cliched and dull is that? Just because his name is "Death Adder" doesn't mean he's actually a snake. Unless the sequel explains how Adder has powers in BR that he never uses in any other GA game ever again, that's some seriously FUBARed continuity. I guess you don't have to research a game and its history to make a new one, just so long as you love it!

Secret Level should be banned from making any more games for ruining a classic

I don't think you have things put into the proper perspective, with all due respect.. (again, I absolutely love the site!!).

I can beat the original Golden Axe in about 20 minutes with very little effort, and you complain about seven hours of solid challenge.

Go back and play a truly bad game for me. Play something like Blasto, or Nightmare creatures, or Superman 64.. these games would deserve a 2 outta 5. You absolutely cannot tell me that Beast Rider is on the level of these games. It's at the absolute worst, an average game.

I think any true GA fan would get a huge kick outta the Death Adder fight, by the way! And yes, I did complete it, I've completed every GA including the damn GameGear and Master System games (GA:BR is a masterpiece compared to those, honestly!)

I really do love the site, and keep up the good work!

ooh, but I got one last comment! Here's a pro-tip for you: when two enemies attack at once, both blue and orange, just press either the left or right bumper and you'll avoid both! Just sayin!!

By the way, I've noticed that you've play Cars and Cabela's Safari to absolute completion, not to mention Bionicle Heroes! Your taste in games is exquisite!! Good luck getting the final achievement in the Doritos game, you devil!!

And no, I'm not Dave Halverson!!

But Dave always posts three times in a row!

Sudo

Quote Originally Posted by btbighammer View Post
    And no, I'm not Dave Halverson!!
    You probably work for Secret Level or Sega, then. Beast Rider is awful, it's one of very few games I sent back to GameFly without finishing. Challenge has nothing to do with it being crap. I love difficult games, so you can't use that excuse. Everything Melf mentioned in his review is spot-on, I couldn't agree more. Blasto is a much better game than Beast Rider IMO, and this is coming from a big Golden Axe fan. At least Blasto was amusing; the only thing funny about Beast Rider is how poorly designed it is.

Elemental Master WCPO Agent GameUser-16-32-128's Avatar

So did Tyris Flare ever get nekkid in this game? Why else would it be rated 18?

Thread Information