Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Was sonic & Knuckles ever concidered for the 32X?

Default Was sonic & Knuckles ever concidered for the 32X?

Just wondering since the Sonic & Knuckles box look exactly like a 32X-box.
    Euro... Trash... Girl

Proud 16-bit War Veteran ESWAT Veteran David J.'s Avatar

Most later Genesis and Mega Drive game boxes look like 32X boxes, so I doubt it.
    The smell of scorched oil hangs in the air as a premonition of danger, while the engine gloriously shouts its war cry...

Throughout history, suspicion has always bred conflict. The real conflict, though, resides in people's hearts. This conflict has just begun.

nes x-men nes x-men nes x-men

They do? Ive only seen sonic & Knuckles packed in a paper box. I know that there are 2 sorts of 32X boxes. Plastic ones and paper ones. This is PAL releases though. Were there many paper releases for the NTSC market? (genesis carts)
    Euro... Trash... Girl

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

No, it wasn't. Sonic & Knuckles was never anything other than "Sonic 3 part 2" -- originally Sonic 3 was supposed to be what Sonic 3 & Knuckles is, but Sega was adamant about Sonic 3 being released at a particular date, which forced them to cut Sonic 3 down to six zones. Rather than let the entire rest of the level design and code simply go to waste, they immediately started finishing it up for a separate release. In short, Sonic & Knuckles wasn't really supposed to exist, and it wasn't at all planned until shortly before Sonic 3's release. The connectivity feature precluded S&K from being on 32x.

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

Raging in the Streets

http://www.zonesega.com/img/Covers/M...edgehog%203%20[EUR].jpg (copy-paste)

His left hand indicates 3, his right indicates 1.

Sonic 3 - 1.
    Sonic and Knuckles = Sonic 3 -2.

Just a theory

Also, the similarity in the boxes just comes from the fact that SEGA got cheapy on the cases come the release of these games and 32X games. They were all cardboard come that time...

Vectorman1 and 2
    Phantasy Star 4
    Sonic 3D blast
    earthworm jim2

just to name a few...

IIRC - the Sonic 3 and S+K were originally planned to be seperate but the same game at the same time from the get go. Sega just taking it's cash cow 'Sonic' to it's limits...

Personally I don't see them actually trying to jam the two of those games into one cartridge... the game would cost 100+ dollars due to the cost of memory at the time.

Das war der Hammer.

They were originally planned to be 1 single game. There are plenty of leftovers from S&K in Sonic 3 which has been accessed by hacking.

Quote Originally Posted by GeckoYamori
    They were originally planned to be 1 single game. There are plenty of leftovers from S&K in Sonic 3 which has been accessed by hacking.
    In an interview done by emulationzone.org with Mr. Hector who ran STI at the time of the making of Sonic 2, 3 and Knuckles says this:

Quote Originally Posted by emulationzone.org
    UserSubQuestion: "Sonic the Hedgehog 3 was originally one game that was later split into two parts (Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles). Sonic & Knuckles introduced a number of elements that were not found in Sonic 3, such as the Super Emeralds, and the Lava Reef and Death Egg stages. Were these elements always intended to be included in the full Sonic 3 game?"

RH: The original Sonic 3 game was very aggressive in its scope. Massive really. So after getting started working on it, it was decided to split it in half, and spread the design across two games. This was good as there was no way all of it would fit in one game. The second game was developed later and the things you mention were introduced to add new, previously unseen game elements. I don't remember if they were originally in the larger game plan from the beginning as new things were added all the time.
    It really wasn't planned right away to be 2 games true... but nor was it split due to time constraints... early in development it was split.

The relics of S+K being in Sonic3 do not explain anything. They could be there for multiple reasons. I.E.

1.)as you stated, made before plans of split
    2.)developed for Sonic 3 and then was cut because they felt it fit better in S+K
    3.)Test code for debugging different features
    4.)Possibly even a teaser for the players and the innevitably released Debug code

On top of that, it would have to be noticed very early in the process of making that game that it just wouldn't fit into a cartridge further supporting what I said about them seeing it very early in the process. That many levels and data just wouldn't fit on one cartridge, and the developers would of known that once reaching level plans of mushroom hill or sandapolis (2 of the 3 extra levels in the level select of SOnic3. The 3rd Battery zone is level 5 but is not excessable. Showing it possibly could of been cut from Sonic 3 and placed in S+K for a multitude of reasons).

Das war der Hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by lordofduct
    Also, the similarity in the boxes just comes from the fact that SEGA got cheapy on the cases come the release of these games and 32X games. They were all cardboard come that time...

Vectorman1 and 2
    Phantasy Star 4
    Sonic 3D blast
    earthworm jim2

just to name a few...

IIRC - the Sonic 3 and S+K were originally planned to be seperate but the same game at the same time from the get go. Sega just taking it's cash cow 'Sonic' to it's limits...

Personally I don't see them actually trying to jam the two of those games into one cartridge... the game would cost 100+ dollars due to the cost of memory at the time.
    Ah, then its a regional thing aswell. All those games came in hard plastic boxes in Europe. Only sonic & knuckles wasever released using the paper box. Guess its diffrent in the US. Well, thx for filling m in anyway.
    Euro... Trash... Girl

Quote Originally Posted by lordofduct

Vectorman1 and 2
    Phantasy Star 4
    Sonic 3D blast
    earthworm jim2

just to name a few...
    That was just for the US. All those (except Vectorman 2, which never had any release here) had plastic cases. S&K is the only european game I've seen with a cardboard case, and I think it had that because the cart has an odd shape and the game itself was expensive.

Super Robot Raging in the Streets Obviously's Avatar

There were a few 32X games with plastic clamshell cases. Like NBA Jam: TE.

Proud 16-bit War Veteran ESWAT Veteran David J.'s Avatar

Yeah, I dunno why acclaim decided to do that.
    The smell of scorched oil hangs in the air as a premonition of danger, while the engine gloriously shouts its war cry...

Throughout history, suspicion has always bred conflict. The real conflict, though, resides in people's hearts. This conflict has just begun.

nes x-men nes x-men nes x-men

Yeah... those bastards! I HATE quality boxes! I much prefer the cheap paper ones. I wish the cartridges themselves were made out of paper and all of the game graphics were in black and white. Cheap really is the best way to go.
    [/sarcasm]

Anyway those Quarterback Clubs are really cheap, and I picked up a bunch of them. Now all of my 32X games have plastic boxes. Of course now I have a bunch o' Quarterback Club 32X carts with no homes.

And that's a bad thing?

How many can I put you down for?

Thread Information