Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BlockOut

Sweat BlockOut

The early '90s saw a flurry of console developers hopping on the 3D bandwagon. As games like Electronic Arts' Block Out demonstrate, sometimes adding an extra dimension isn't a good idea. Read our full review and do yourself a favor, stick with Tetris.
    Last edited by Melf; 07-17-2011 at 09:35 PM.

The Genesis port of Block Out was really pretty bad. It suffered from a low framerate and generally sluggish gameplay, which really magnified the flaws in the arcade version.

this is what i do not like about a ten point grading scale for game reivews

blockout is a bad game, i think pretty much everyone agrees

but is it really 2 out of 10 bad?

name a game that gets a score of 2 and a game that gets a score of 3 then explain the difference and prove that every rating is treated the same.

there is far too much nuance, both games simply suck

id give blockout a 2 out of 5, below average but not among the worst games ever made

chrisbid, I tend to disagree that a 1-10 grading system sucks. I like it and have my own way to grade games that works pretty well for me. I won't list 1-10 but I grade it like this.

5 A strictly average game for me. It's pretty weak but can be fun sometimes or have some good ideas.

4 below average, a game that should be worth playing but will usually cause more frustration than fun.

3 Pretty much sucks, I can usually drudge through a game that I gave a 3 but I will either usually really hate the experience. When I review these I don't hesitate to use cheats just to get the job done then it goes on the shelf forever.

2 Might be good for a few minutes or so but is simply not worth spending the time to play through at all.

1 A game that I actually hate playing, it's awful and really is a disgrace to play and I usually wish to have my time back that I spent on it.
    Check out my review channel at GameFaqs here. Then feel free to leave feedback and comment here

if 5 is average, do most of your games get a score of 5?

nope, only the ones that have nothing good or bad going for them.
    Check out my review channel at GameFaqs here. Then feel free to leave feedback and comment here

then a grade of 5 is not even remotely average, letalone strictly average

bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad abd bad bad bad
    really really really really really really really really really really really really really really

BAD GAME

Quote Originally Posted by chrisbid View Post
    this is what i do not like about a ten point grading scale for game reivews

blockout is a bad game, i think pretty much everyone agrees

but is it really 2 out of 10 bad?
    I agree; I hate numerical ratings. Melf has a "Review Manifest" posted on the site which helps distinguish the ratings for me, but I'd personally prefer something closer to a pass/fail setup.

Block Out is a mediocre game, but I wouldn't say it's bad exactly. My only gripe is that the 3-D view of the pit makes the game more about constantly clearing single layers than building up a stack of four since excess pieces will block the player's view too much. The "official" 3-D Tetris, Welltris, had this problem as well -- well based puzzle games aren't made for 3-D, and both titles look as though they were made because they could be, not that they should have been.

Block Out initially retailed for $30. It's still a playable, moderately enjoyable game. I wouldn't recommend it given that there are far better games on the system, but I also wouldn't call it absolutely worthless just the same.

any scale will work so long as it is simple and well defined

pass/fail works, but i believe a five point scale can still fit the parameters

4 - above average game (buy it)
    3 - average game (rent it)
    2 - below average game (skip it)

scores of 5 and 1 should be used sparingly (between 5 and 10 percent) for the absolute best and worst out there. most games should receive a score of 3. nobody can buy every single new game released so scores of 4 or 5 should be difficult and a reviewer should keep that idea in mind

i find it funny when 10 point scales average around a 7, leaving a 7 point scale for crappy game, and a 3 point scale for good games.

Pity rep is still rep. Raging in the Streets Mr Smith's Avatar

An accurate review - Blockout was/is hateful tosh.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamahl
    You my lord, are a poet and a scholar. Of death.

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

This game could have really benefited from better graphics,
    if you look at Klax it just looks and sounds much better.

Sure its not a great game, but it could have been fun to play if it looked less dull.

chrisbid, I also rate games 6 and above too, I only described my ratings of five and below to explain myself, therefore a 5 in a 1-10 scale is a strictly average rating.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisbid View Post
    then a grade of 5 is not even remotely average, letalone strictly average
    Well, that's true in a certain way, but keep in mind: Most gamers aren't interrested in merely "average" games; they are interested in "good" games!

So if a game gets a rating of 5, most people think "meh, not interesting, I know enough of those already"; Interest starts at games that get graded 6 or 7.

It's the same with magazine grading their games with a percentage system. The average SHOULD be at 50%; but who will buy a game that's rated like that?

(besides, if you take the average grade game magazines have awarded throughout the year, the "true" average rating will most likely lie somewhere between 65 or 70 % rather than below that. Though I admit that's most likely because games (in terms of graphics and sound, mostly) generally advance over the games in previous years, so it's natural that the average grade is higher than the general average before that.)

Regarding Blockout: I had the C64-version of that game, and even though those simply used confusing Wireframe graphics, I felt that it actually handled a bit better. I agree with the 2-rating. It wasn't that good of an idea in the first place, and the execution isn't well done neither.
    The funny thing about an oxymoron is, even if you remove the ox, there'll always be a moron. The Question Remains: Y?

Quote Originally Posted by Phantar View Post
    Well, that's true in a certain way, but keep in mind: Most gamers aren't interrested in merely "average" games; they are interested in "good" games!

So if a game gets a rating of 5, most people think "meh, not interesting, I know enough of those already"; Interest starts at games that get graded 6 or 7.

It's the same with magazine grading their games with a percentage system. The average SHOULD be at 50%; but who will buy a game that's rated like that?

(besides, if you take the average grade game magazines have awarded throughout the year, the "true" average rating will most likely lie somewhere between 65 or 70 % rather than below that. Though I admit that's most likely because games (in terms of graphics and sound, mostly) generally advance over the games in previous years, so it's natural that the average grade is higher than the general average before that.)

Regarding Blockout: I had the C64-version of that game, and even though those simply used confusing Wireframe graphics, I felt that it actually handled a bit better. I agree with the 2-rating. It wasn't that good of an idea in the first place, and the execution isn't well done neither.

that sounds like a rationalization for grade inflation, and that is exactly why a ten point (or greater) scale isnt very useful.

Thread Information