Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gain Ground

Default Gain Ground

Gain Ground was a great arcade experience, and SIMS managed to capture that magic and charm for the Genesis port. Unfortunately, it decided against a U.S. release. Thankfully, Renovation stepped up to the plate and gave us a chance to play this awesome co-op action title. Read our full review for more details.
    Last edited by Melf; 07-05-2022 at 10:44 PM.

Awesome Srategey game w/ lots of replay value

No doubt! I loved this game from the start, especially the soundtrack. Bad sound/instrument quality, a scratchy/bleepy/blurpy sound but, nice 10-15 minute long compositions, no loops.
    Last edited by Nobi; 12-09-2010 at 07:57 PM.
    I don't play old stuff for nostalgia, I play old stuff because the games are better.
    -Drakon

Stuck in the Past Shining Hero The Jackal's Avatar

I don't see the appeal to this: to me Melf got it right in the first part of his post ("slow movement and few characters"). Maybe it is a diamond in the rough, but I just don't see myself liking this.

Maybe I'll give another chance in a few days,who knows...

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

Maybe I'm just in the honeymoon period -- I haven't tried the higher difficulties, and that's where many games fall down -- but so far I freakin' love this game. It's so much fun to play co-op with my girlfriend: a perfect mix of strategizing and action.

BTW it's also one of the very few games I've played that shorten Easy mode by removing an internal stage -- in this case, Round 4 -- instead of the final one. The only other game I can think of on the Genesis that does that is Dangerous Seed, though some of the Disney games will shorten a stage on Easy, like Castle of Illusion and Pinocchio.

Quote Originally Posted by shinobimusashi View Post
    Bad sound/instrument quality, a scratchy/bleepy/blurpy sound but, nice 10-15 minute long compositions, no loops.
    Depends on the track, Present Age (I'd post an example but the ones on youtube are pretty low quality) is one of the better sounding MD tunes in terms of emulating an 80s synth pop/funk sound. Actually most of the tracks just suffer from crappy FM drums.
    On a wave of mutilation

https://minirevver.weebly.com/

Megadrive Maniac Outrunner Crackdown's Avatar

Graphically the game is poor but as far as gameplay is concerned this game is a real winner. It was one of the first Megadrive games I picked up back in the day and I have loved it ever since, very unique and very playable.
    To be this good takes AGES, to be this good takes SEGA!

Two player is the best way to experience this game. I enjoy playing this with my brother, before each stage we would strategize about what characters to use and how to get through the level. I found the last stage to be next to impossible.

Death Adder's minion

This game is my biggest discovery
    I played this game a year ago and I didn't understand why the hell it was 10/10. To me it seemed a really boring game with not so beautiful sprites.
    I replayed this game one month ago and god I'm so addicted to it! It's really fun. I can't say if it entered my top games, but it is coming along.

Didn't have the chance to play this game with someone else yet (I have to find someone who can get past the first impression like I had for this game), but I suspect it may add more challenge and fun to the game.

It's also a 10/10 for me

It's due to Sega-16 that i found out about this amazing game and for that, i thank you guys.
    I've played this one with my brother, my friends , a girlfriend and even my father was interested in the game , trying to create strategies for the levels. The interesting fact about this one is that you need to comunicate at all times with your partner, in order to progress.
    One of the best co-op games that you can find.
    [ QCF, HCB + K ]

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by maringouin11 View Post
    This game is my biggest discovery
    I played this game a year ago and I didn't understand why the hell it was 10/10. To me it seemed a really boring game with not so beautiful sprites.
    I replayed this game one month ago and god I'm so addicted to it! It's really fun. I can't say if it entered my top games, but it is coming along.

Didn't have the chance to play this game with someone else yet (I have to find someone who can get past the first impression like I had for this game), but I suspect it may add more challenge and fun to the game.

It's also a 10/10 for me
    it certainly isn't a 10 out of 10 for me, addictive yes but also frustating but the tunes are great but that doesn't hide the fact this is one of renovation's worst and a rare flop for them, for me it's a 4

I'm another one who's never understood the appeal of this game. I've tried it a few times and it failed to grab me and hold my interest. I'm willing to give it another shot though...

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    Maybe I'm just in the honeymoon period -- I haven't tried the higher difficulties, and that's where many games fall down -- but so far I freakin' love this game.
    ...and I still do, so I guess it wasn't just a fling. Gain Ground is easily in my top 10 in the Genesis library, and probably top 5. It's great in single-player mode, and brilliant in co-op.

Be sure to read the manual, since it makes a big difference in terms of planning whom you'll use and when/why. It's also worth trying Hard first, since on that mode you don't have to keep track of when you can acquire certain characters -- you have them all from the beginning.

I've played GG a couple of times, not enough to develop an opinion of it.

However, the Level 1 theme is totally boss, and I find myself listening to it often. After hearing the Genesis port's rendition, I was surprised at, just as with its port of Golden Axe, how closely it reproduced the coin-op's music.

Road Rasher

like I said aarzak the music is one of the few redeeming features of the game but it is addictive though

Thread Information