Quantcast

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Landstalker: Treasure of King Nole

Quote Originally Posted by zetastrike View Post
    The only thing I would add to improve it is the ability to walk in and direction, not just diagonally. That was a surprise the first time I played it.
    Light Crusader does that, and it makes the controls feel a smidgen more sloppy. It keeps the platforming easier when it's confined in 4 directions.

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

I love the isometric style personally, it gives the game a charm of it's own. This is one of my favourite all-time RPG's and certainly one of the best, if not the best, RPG on the Mega Drive. I fell in love with this game as a kid and still play it today. The exploits of Nigel and Friday as they set off to search for the mythical treasures of King Nole and the characters and dangers they face en route just make for a great story driven adventure. There are plenty of items and equipment to find to help you on your quest and the bad guys and bosses really present you with a good challenge.

Fans of this game really should check out Alundra on the PS1. It owed so much to Landstalker with it's look and style and is every bit as much of a masterpiece.

Formerly segafan1989 Master of Shinobi 4Runner's Avatar

I semi enjoyed the game until the Labyrinth levels. After that I quit playing it because it sucked too much. The "3D" perspective of the worlds didn't suit.

Things definitely get devious later on the in the game, especially with some cheap tricks thrown in the way of not being able to see some platforms.

However, one thing I love this game for is the confidence in its engine and puzzles. The puzzles are very difficult at times, and require a lot of manipulation of the game engine, resulting in a lot of satisfying and rewarding "a-ha!" moments. For as much as I love the Zelda series, it would never get as mind-bending as this (or Alundra). It makes for an addicting experience, even if it can come across as a bit B.S. (especially that green maze).

The more I play Landstalker, the more it makes me dislike Dark Savior by comparison. Which is funny because I liked Dark Savior. But it just pales soo much in comparison to Landstalker as to actually make DS worse.

I love this game. There's only one thing that ruins it for me.The lack of a shadow on main character when jumping. If that had been fixed, the game would be on my top five list
    Bare Knuckle III rules! Also, the music in this game is freakin awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by KillerBean2 View Post
    I love this game. There's only one thing that ruins it for me.The lack of a shadow on main character when jumping. If that had been fixed, the game would be on my top five list
    It would have been nice, but pretty difficult to code!

But really, a shadow wouldn't have helped much on the most frustrating parts where you're trying to jump on platforms over a gap where if you fall you have to start over 3 levels down. The shadow wouldn't show up on empty space...

The other night I was playing through the Water Shrine (or whatever it's called past the Destel Well), and I was definitely feeling the "drop down a floor" pain. A very intense dungeon, just from its sheer length alone.

The Destel Well has a nice section where you have to go up 4 levels of platforming and a missed jump takes you all the way to the bottom. But it's not too difficult once you get the hang of it. The level designers intentionally messed with the perspective to make things more difficult also.

I like the Lake Shrine design. It's not easy, but it's also not unfair. Finishing it really gives a sense of accomplishment.

Quote Originally Posted by EmperorIng View Post
    The other night I was playing through the Water Shrine (or whatever it's called past the Destel Well), and I was definitely feeling the "drop down a floor" pain. A very intense dungeon, just from its sheer length alone.
    Ah yes, the Lake Shrine. I got stuck there as a kid and even though I got through it recently I still despise the place. Quite lengthy with lots of "you fell, now you have to run all the way back" moments for me. I actually thought the remaining dungeons after it were much easier. I did like the challenge of all the other dungeons, but that one never did it for me.

As for the game itself, it's a classic to me, enjoyed it a lot when I was younger and I still do now. Generally a good challenge, with great music. I liked the visuals and atmosphere too.

Quote Originally Posted by JumpingRyle View Post
    Just to clear some misconceptions up about the Japanese version:

1) The ballet studio is not a brothel in the Japanese version. The whole point of it is a joke: you're supposed to think it's a brothel. However, in the Japanese version, it's actually a counseling center. Adults go there to have someone listen to their problems.

2) The maid is present in front of the door in the Japanese version as well. She was not added just for the English version. However, in the Japanese version, there is one point (after dinner is prepared but before you enter the dining room) when the maid disappears and you are able to enter the room and see the bath scene. The scene was translated into English, possibly before it was decided to make the maid permanent, or possibly because the translators were just working down a list, but the only way to access it in English is to hack the rom to float over the maid (that's how the above video was made). This scene is kind of an easter egg even in the Japanese version because most people will just enter the dining room and miss it. Of the 4 Japanese Landstalker guide books I have, only 1 of them mentions the scene. The others missed it.
    I never knew the full truth of either of those, nice!

It would have been nice, but pretty difficult to code!

But really, a shadow wouldn't have helped much on the most frustrating parts where you're trying to jump on platforms over a gap where if you fall you have to start over 3 levels down. The shadow wouldn't show up on empty space...
    True. I guess it's more the lack of perspective and/or depth that makes jumping difficult.

Anyway, I pulled myself together and gave the game a try again. I've been playing on and off for the last five days, and today I finally completed it

It's a real gem. Once you get the hang of the controls, the game pays off.. big time
    Bare Knuckle III rules! Also, the music in this game is freakin awesome.

I find it's really helpful to use a 6 button controller for the superior D-pad, too, since you have to push the diagonals to change the movement direction.

I find it's really helpful to use a 6 button controller for the superior D-pad, too, since you have to push the diagonals to change the movement direction.
    In all these years I never thought of playing it with my six button controller, good point mate.

Ah the hours and days I spent mastering this game as a kid and beyond. It's because of that I suppose that the isometric design of the game and the control system always seemed second nature to me but my partner (who grew up playing on Amiga and Nintendo systems I might add in a disgusted tone) really struggles with the controls and gameplay style despite liking it.

Landstalker does occasionally get referred to as a Zelda clone in condescending tones from time to time however and it's at these moments that I just close my eyes and breath deeply to control my temper. It's every bit an equal to RPG's like Zelda: A Link To The Past and in some cases superior to it. The word 'underrated' has never had more meaning than when ascribed to Landstalker. Sure it's hailed by SEGA fans and gaming enthusiasts but outside of those circles people aren't even aware of it. If it had been made by Nintendo back in 1993 instead of SEGA it would have been celebrated worldwide and had many games journalists and gamers alike drooling over it which only goes to prove that snobbishness, arrogance and fickleness have always been a huge part of both the games market and the industry itself.

Banned by Administrators

But the control is broken! You have to push diagonally, and there are no shadows!
    (If I had a $1 for every time I read that over the years, I'd be able to buy a beer for everyone who posted in this thread)

Quote Originally Posted by Zz Badnusty View Post
    But the control is broken! You have to push diagonally, and there are no shadows!
    (If I had a $1 for every time I read that over the years, I'd be able to buy a beer for everyone who posted in this thread)
    Yup. I've never understood this criticism of Landstalker either, perhaps for the reasons I outlined above, but it sure does crop up a lot!

Super Robot Raging in the Streets Obviously's Avatar

Landstalker honestly isn't one of my personal favorites but it deserves more respect than it gets.

Thread Information