Quantcast

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Landstalker: Treasure of King Nole

WCPO Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Drive Bowlsey View Post
    In all these years I never thought of playing it with my six button controller, good point mate.

Ah the hours and days I spent mastering this game as a kid and beyond. It's because of that I suppose that the isometric design of the game and the control system always seemed second nature to me but my partner (who grew up playing on Amiga and Nintendo systems I might add in a disgusted tone) really struggles with the controls and gameplay style despite liking it.

Landstalker does occasionally get referred to as a Zelda clone in condescending tones from time to time however and it's at these moments that I just close my eyes and breath deeply to control my temper. It's every bit an equal to RPG's like Zelda: A Link To The Past and in some cases superior to it. The word 'underrated' has never had more meaning than when ascribed to Landstalker. Sure it's hailed by SEGA fans and gaming enthusiasts but outside of those circles people aren't even aware of it. If it had been made by Nintendo back in 1993 instead of SEGA it would have been celebrated worldwide and had many games journalists and gamers alike drooling over it which only goes to prove that snobbishness, arrogance and fickleness have always been a huge part of both the games market and the industry itself.

Landstalker is a good game, but Link to the Past it ain't.

I love the Zelda series, but Landstalker and Alundra really nailed the puzzle-aspect of it down. They're a lot more engaging in that regard.
    However, I don't think too many people will deny that combat in Landstalker is pretty lacking. The swordplay takes a backseat to the puzzles and platforming, and is sort of perfunctory.

No need to compare the two. They're both good and quite different in my opinion. Landstalker is pretty much an isometric platformer, which is completely different from Zelda. I read that Kan Naito (the programmer) was really confused that so many people were comparing Landstalker to Zelda, since in his opinion they were as different as could be.

Also, Landstalker was made by a small team who were out to bring something new to the table, while A Link to the Past was a huge production from Nintendo to promote the newly released SNES and was in development for years. Of course A Link to the Past is more polished. It probably had 10 times the staff and 3 times the development time as Landstalker.

One of the reasons I like Landstalker so much is that despite these limitations, it turned out to be a fun game and had a very unique character to it.

Landstalker does many things right. It's issues have been repeated to death (even by me). Some isometric jumps are insane and have harsh punishments, and the extremely basic and near pointless combat.

I find the Zelda comparison to not make much sense, they're very different. Crusader of Centy plays like Zelda.

Alundra though, now that's how it's done.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius Spunkwater View Post

Landstalker is a good game, but Link to the Past it ain't.
    IMO the two are equally good.

I played Link to the Past for the first time about a year ago. Judging by the massive praise this game has gotten over the years I was expecting best thing since sliced bread, but what I actually got was "just" a really good game.

It's very polished and can be seen as an impeccable technical achievement, but it lacks guts. It is missing some the dirt that makes me really love a game. I can honestly say that most people who name Link to the Past as one of the best games ever made, are looking at it through some seriously rosy red nostalgia glasses.

Link to the Past is overrated. Landstalker is underrated. They give an experience of somewhat equal quality, just with two different flavors.
    Bare Knuckle III rules! Also, the music in this game is freakin awesome.

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KillerBean2 View Post

I played Link to the Past for the first time about a year ago. Judging by the massive praise this game has gotten over the years I was expecting best thing since sliced bread, but what I actually got was "just" a really good game.

It's very polished and can be seen as an impeccable technical achievement, but it lacks guts. It is missing some the dirt that makes me really love a game. I can honestly say that most people who name Link to the Past as one of the best games ever made, are looking at it through some seriously rosy red nostalgia glasses.

Link to the Past is overrated. Landstalker is underrated. They give an experience of somewhat equal quality, just with two different flavors.
    I couldn't have put it any better.

Super Robot Raging in the Streets Obviously's Avatar

I agree Landstalker is underrated but its got its share of problems. I'm not going to be as apologetic about the jumping and the combat because while you can get used to it, it's just not as intuitive.

From a purely design standpoint I have to give it to A Link to the Past.

That said I think Landstalker would be more appreciated if people were more patient with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Obviously View Post
    I'm not going to be as apologetic about the jumping and the combat because while you can get used to it, it's just not as intuitive.
    Maybe it's because I played the game so much as a kid, but I have never felt that way before. I was actually really surprised when I first read complaints like that on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by KillerBean2 View Post

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to KillerBean2 again"

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingMaster of Shinobi Gryson's Avatar

This is my favorite thing on the internet:

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm33960608

Some Japanese person made a Landstalker parody song set to the Dragon Ball opening theme.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Jake Armitage's Avatar

A closer comparison to Landstalker from the SNES pantheon might be Equinox. Still different games but much closer to each other than LTTP and Landstalker.

Landstalker is the better game IMHO but that doesn't detract from the enjoyment of Equinox.

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingMaster of Shinobi Gryson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Armitage View Post
    A closer comparison to Landstalker from the SNES pantheon might be Equinox. Still different games but much closer to each other than LTTP and Landstalker.

Landstalker is the better game IMHO but that doesn't detract from the enjoyment of Equinox.
    Equinox is the sequel to Solstice on the NES, which is often speculated to have been at least a partial inspiration for the dungeon platforming in Landstalker. Landstalker is sooooo much more of a game, though.

Wildside Expert

I really, really wish Landstalker had played more like Alundra.

Wildside Expert

Landstalker also plays much more like a RPG compared to Link to the Past, since you visit multiple towns in between the dungeons, there's a real story, it's linear, etc. I do prefer it to ALLTP, but then I think that game (and Ocarina of Time) are overrated. I like Minish Cap and the Oracle games, though. And yeah, Alundra is still better, but then Alundra's the best action-RPG ever made.

Quote Originally Posted by Lion View Post
    I really, really wish Landstalker had played more like Alundra.
    It came out 5 years earlier. The gameplay issues with Landstalker are probably why Alundra played so much better.

Thread Information