Quantcast

Thread: RoadBlasters

Default RoadBlasters

Ah, Road Blasters. Many an hour was spent by yours truly playing the NES version of this game years ago. The adrenaline-pumping speed and addictive gameplay made it something that I couldn't stop playing. Now, a decade later, as I play the Genesis version of the game, I can say that the game is just as fun to play now as it was then.
    Last edited by Melf; 08-20-2011 at 10:26 PM.

Move Between worlds Raging in the Streets TheEdge's Avatar

7 is definitely a correct score for this game. I'm a Road Blaster fanatic and I love the arcade version. The Genesis version is a near perfect port EXCEPT for the horrid backgrounds. Its almost like they spent the whole development budget on the road, car, and enemy graphics and then let a 3 year old draw the backgrounds.
    "A Radical is One Who Speaks the Truth"

http://the-coolinator-lounge.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by beef jerky man View Post
    There's not many people willing to go against the grain, which explains why we're in such a dilapidated state. I personally commend The Edge for being so resilient.

Any other games like this?

I think 8-8.5
    The MD version is actually quite slick so its a good representation of the Arcade version which if my memory serves me correctly was either designed or programmed by a woman,the arcade code was released and used for the NES port so everything in the game should be in the same place if you know what i mean lol

The NES port of this game was one of my earliest games waaaay back in the 80s. I didn't grasp how to play a game back then, of course, so I died all the time. But I still enjoyed it, because, as a kid at the time, I thought cars that could shoot stuff was just awesome.

Good review. I love the arcade version, when I bought the Genny version I was in heaven. No longer did I have to spend tons of quarters on the arcade machine.

"You could have a bumper car, bumping.
    This amusement never ends..."

One of my favorite Atari Games ports on the Genesis. Great port minus the voices.

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

Fuggin' great game. Never played the arcade that I can remember, but looks like a pretty stellar port to me - trackside objects are sparse, but the smooth scrolling and your dynamically animated car look great. The fuel system tide to the multiplier, which you'll want to keep at 10X if you can help it, is great and encourages fast reflexes and a dead aim. The various power ups add that extra wrinkle to the proceedings, seemingly arriving in the nick of time and helping out admirably. The turbo boost is so fast that you'll be amazed when you manage to capitalize on it without crashing, it's quite awesome really.

So's the nuke, which wipes out traffic for a considerable distance.

It's not something I can play for hours on end, generally, but it's addictive enough that I tend to keep trying. Chalk up another solid AF Tengen port.

Raging in the Streets SEGA.GENESIS1989's Avatar

Hehehe! I agree wholeheartedly. When you get into the zone, it's hard to stop playing the game. Having a steering wheel for this port would make the game much more immersive!
    "There's nothing to fear, except fear itself"
    http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/link2link2link/YUZOKOSHIROISAGODNEOSEEDEDITION.gif

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Prince Talmit's Avatar

Very fun arcade game to play on the Sega 16-bit, thanks to another great Tengen conversion.

Inexplicably a complete JPN Mega Drive copy of Roadblasters recently sold for over $150 on eBay. There are other other copies available for $40-60 CIB, and US copies are like $25-30 shipped CIB.
    Is that $150 an anomaly or a sign of things to come?! The JPN Tengen releases are quite a nice set. Gotta collect them all!

Hero of Algol

A sign of things to come.

Regarding this port, it's technically very advanced IMO. They really wrote a very fast sprite engine for the Mega Drive and this is one of the things that allow this game to run so smoothly.

IMO, the best Tengen port. For the quick-and-play, old school arcade fanatic, this game is phucking fun (and addictive). Very easy to recommend this one to someone that wants some 80s/90s arcade action on the Genny. Underrated if you ask me.

Thread Information