Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Road Rash II

Default Road Rash II

Electronic Arts' returns with another deadly round of motorcycle action. Does the sequel hold up to the original? Read our full review and see!
    Last edited by Melf; 08-20-2011 at 10:41 PM.

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

Quite ambitious this game, isn't it?

But despite some technical quibbles like the music slowing down in the menus and the very separate issue of the game itself running at about 5 frames a second, it manages to pull it off.

After your mind has filled in the blanks left by the jerky frame rate, you'll find the actual racing/collision physics are deeper than other 16-bit racers, couple that with the responsive bike-to-bike violence and a strong and interesting AI, this is a compelling game.

The frame rate cap was a trade off, the tracks and racing physics seem more complex than others on the system and I'd argue it's usually a better game for it.

So far, this and Road Blasters have been the racers of choice on MD for me. I'm afraid I can't seem to get into Outrun for whatever reason

Thoughts on this series?
    Last edited by OverDrone; 11-04-2014 at 08:42 AM.

its a choppy play but once you get accustomed to it, the game's a blast.

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

One of the greatest racing games on the Mega Drive in my opinion, topped only in the gameplay stakes by perhaps Codemasters Micro Machines games. EA got everything perfect in this sequel to an already damn good racing game. Great music, great bikes, great biker-to-biker fights, great courses, a brilliant two player mode and the cops fight back!

I like the first Road Rash better than the second, especially for the music and because the tracks are more 'clean' ( tracks on RRII have too much stuff on the side road, which combined with the low frame rate makes the game less enjoyable and playable IMO ).

Road Rash and Mortal Kombat falls in a same category for me today: i had a tons of fun playing them back in the day, but today i have a much more casual approach to them. They're still fun to play every once in a while, but i don't find the motivation to go hardcore on them anymore, like i do with the vast majority of games that i play. This reminds me that i still need to give Road Rash III a decent playtrough.

Regarding the MD racing menu, OutRun, OutRun 2019 and Virtua Racing are currently my favorite picks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bottino View Post
    I like the first Road Rash better than the second, especially for the music and because the tracks are more 'clean' ( tracks on RRII have too much stuff on the side road, which combined with the low frame rate makes the game less enjoyable and playable IMO ).
    I agree, and the split-screen two-player mode is an OK addition but not as enjoyable as the main game due to the smooshed screen. The game is just too busy and the screen objects too hard to make out to work in the thumbnail display. I just don't see Road Rash 2 and 3 as offering enough to warrant their releases.

Outrunner

I bought Road Rash II when it was first released and had a blast with it, including the 2p mode. After a while I found myself going back to the original for the exact reasons mentioned above; the music and the less-busy track design. After II I was hyped for the sequels and opted to buy Road Rash for Sega CD rather than the cart version of III, foolishly thinking EA would use all the whiz-bang scaling of the CD hardware. Instead I was greeted by a dull poopy brown and grey mess that was inferior in every aspect to the original cart version. Well, unless you consider AM radio quality streamed early 90's alternative rock as a plus.

One thing I really find interesting about RRII was due to the way the game engine was programmed you can use Game Genie codes for basically an unlimited number of custom tracks. If I knew that 20 years ago no doubt I'd have shit my pants.

I haven't ever played the original Road Rash, I had II as a kid and that's the one I reacquired as an adult. I've never tried III either, or CD.

Interesting that people prefer part I on account of the less busy track design, I wasn't aware of that. Nor was I aware of the Game Genie thing. Agreed that the 2 player mode doesn't match the main game though.

Quote Originally Posted by Azathoth View Post
    foolishly thinking EA would use all the whiz-bang scaling of the CD hardware. Instead I was greeted by a dull poopy brown and grey mess that was inferior in every aspect to the original cart version. Well, unless you consider AM radio quality streamed early 90's alternative rock as a plus.
    It's funny they went to all the trouble of creating a scaling engine in software for the original games and then presented with the chance to use the hardware of the Mega CD just flat-out ignored it. A wasted opportunity for sure.

And yeah, music with lyrics in a video game is a definite no-no as far as I'm concerned.

Especially if it's Soundgarden or whoever they used.

Raging in the Streets

The music in Road Rash for the 3DO is awesome, i'd take Soundgarden and shit over the music in the Genesis games any day.

What I'm saying is that even if Soundgarden where my favourite band of all time, having to listen to the same song over and over again in a video game that's meant to be compulsively played would end up driving me crazy.

Just the instrumental versions of the songs would work better I reckon.

Road Rash II is absolutely one of my favourite Mega Drive games (which is saying something), I loved both this and the first game. Just so enjoyable and fun. I haven't connected my Mega Drive in a long time but when I do again, this will be one of the first games I play.

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

So am I really the only one who prefers the music in Road Rash II to the original (and the third installment for that matter)?

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Drive Bowlsey View Post
    So am I really the only one who prefers the music in Road Rash II to the original (and the third installment for that matter)?
    Nope, you're not the only one, I like the music better in II then in the original or III.

I also like II better then the first or third game.

Outrunner

It's pitiful how this thread generated so few responses. Road Rash II is so satisfactory, so edifying, I love returning to it. Framerate issues? Pah, 60 fps is for pansies. I don't know what it is about this game, but I could play all night, just me, it, whatever I'm drinking that night, and an amazing time.

Raging in the Streets

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Drive Bowlsey View Post
    The music in Road Rash I & II is good, dunno what went on with III but the music in that game is awful.

Thread Information