Quantcast

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shining Force II

Default Shining Force II

It's pretty obvious to everyone that the Genesis wasn't known for its RPGs. It's not to say that it didn't have them, it did, just not as many as the SNES, and of those, only a handful (around 10) were really worth playing. You had the obvious games like the Phantasy Star series, the Shining series, and games like Beyond Oasis and Crusader of Centy. These games represent most of the worthwhile RPG's for the system. High among them stands Shining Force II.
    Last edited by Melf; 08-28-2011 at 04:03 PM.

I got this game last week and HOLY CRAP THIS GAME IS AWESOME, so awesome that it's been surgically inserted into my Genesis.

Extreme Procrastinator Master of Shinobi Flygon's Avatar

Shining Force has much more nostalgic value for me... but, Shining Force II improved so much on the engine, a sacrifice for a worse story is worth it. ^_^

I don't quite like RPG's that end up 'delegating' everything to the 'gods'. Granted, it probably lost a ton during translation (The first wasn't much better in that respect). =|

Either way, time for me to change my avatar back to something 'interesting' (Unless you REALLY have objections).

My first actual RPG, and one of the most memorable games I've ever played. Still brilliant even so many years later. I remember playing through it countless times as a kid... definitely deserves a 9 or a 10, to me.

Gamepro rated this game a 3.0 for fun factor and 2.5 for sounds and control.

Level 6 Rocket Knight Raging in the Streets jerry coeurl's Avatar

That's stupid, this game is great. It's tons of fun and the music is awesome. 2.5 for the controls? Seriously? There is nothing wrong with them, really. I'd have to guess that Gamepro didn't actually even play the game with a score like that.

Quote Originally Posted by soviet View Post
    If Sega making condoms,I will to one-night-stands in every night~

Death Bringer ESWAT Veteran Black_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Curryman123 View Post
    And that is what makes GamePro, GamePro.

They gave ballz 5.0, so you are correct about that.

What? Shir is gone? Raging in the Streets StarMist's Avatar

Neat, a thread where I agree with everyone so far. One of its more surprising aspects is that unlike the first and CD versions its difficulty can really be cranked up: its default level is harder than their maxima. And the class-change secrets are worth the trouble. Gamepro?? At least go with EGM.

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Curryman123 View Post
    ROFLMAO!!!
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

For great justice! Outrunner Tor Landeel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flygon View Post
    Shining Force has much more nostalgic value for me... but, Shining Force II improved so much on the engine, a sacrifice for a worse story is worth it. ^_^
    Worst story? And what is so good about the first Shining Force story? It's so linear..

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tor Landeel View Post
    Worst story? And what is so good about the first Shining Force story? It's so linear..
    Well yeah linear but they presented it well.. there was really this sense of dread building up.

SF1 story was.. standard end of the world stuff, but done in a very creepy way at times.
    (like the town where everybody came back from the grave, shudder)

SF2 story on the other hand was much lighter, and felt a bit like Final Fantasy 4 at times,
    which made for a fun and amazing game, with so much to do.

Both great games in their own way, but SF2 just offers more game in the end.

One criticism I have of SF II is that I think the characters weren't as diverse as they were in Part 1 and there were too many clones/similar characters.

Death Adder's minion

my first rpg also.i remeber renting it for a weekend,then my gamepro came that monday.i was also shocked by the low reviews.it also being my first rpg i had wolfman running around with the power ring.find the special metal weapon making guy,great memorys

Raging in the Streets Thunderblaze16's Avatar

Yo, after playing this as my first shining force game, so far, I gotta say..........I fucking love it! Its so addicting, its like an old age adventure of pokemon, lol.
    ***Visualshock! Speedshock! Soundshock! Now is time to the 68000 heart on fire!***
    http://ban-game-4.gamewise.co/musha-metallic-uniframe-super-hybrid-armor_banner65-61867-full.jpeg

Thread Information