Quantcast

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master

Masayuki Nagao is a real person and is not Naofumi Hataya. More recently, he worked on Rainbow Islands Evolution, Space Invaders Evolution, and Bubble Bobble Evolution for the PSP.

Murasaki, Nagao, and Akiyama originally worked for Santos, which was bought by Sega and became Megasoft. Megasoft developed Shinobi III.

Then the figurings they did at Sonic Retro with Naofumi Hataya appear to be not right, or at least specifically with the Masayuki Nagao case. Most people assume it was him because of that and because of music composing similarities.

What's for sure is that Naofumi Hataya did work in both Golden Axe II and Golden Axe III respectively under the pseudonyms "Hatabaw" and "N.H". That's really him for a fact.
    http://www.sega-16.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=154&dateline=15683853  53

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

I'd rank his work in Golden Axe III among the best soundtracks on MD.
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

The Sonic Tweaker Nameless One Tweaker's Avatar

Does anyone have a picture of this guy or anything more personally identifiable? None of the information I read on that page after a quick babelfish translation appeared to imply that the two could not be the same person; it was all extremely vague and general.

Quote Originally Posted by Tweaker View Post
    Does anyone have a picture of this guy or anything more personally identifiable?
    No. But I did find an interview with Naofumi Hataya that says he joined Sega in 1990. Nagao, on the other hand, was working at Santos around 1991, on games like Battle Golfer Yui (according to JP Wikipedia), MD Toki (with Murasaki and Akiyama), and Janshin Densetsu for the Neo Geo (also with Murasaki and Akiyama).

Level 6 Rocket Knight Raging in the Streets jerry coeurl's Avatar

Just beat this game for the first time this evening, and I agree with everything that Sega Genesis said. I do prefer RoS a bit but they're both truly excellent games.

Quote Originally Posted by soviet View Post
    If Sega making condoms,I will to one-night-stands in every night~

So's your old man! Raging in the Streets zetastrike's Avatar

This game's not bad, but it pales in comparison to Revenge. Level design suffers the most. While RoS levels were well thought out and contained many paths, SIII's were boring. The autoscrolling levels are awful as is the cliff falling stage, elevator, and mecha godzilla factory. That water robot boss takes way too long to kill. The music is also generic. I don't really care much for the new moves. I was really bugged that they couldn't come up with a couple new ninjitsu magic to spice things up. I like the game, it's still leaps and bounds ahead of most other ninja games, but RoS is THE game. No Genesis game before or since has ever bested it.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon
    Nope. Bloodlines is the problem, not me. I have no trouble with Super Castlevania IV (SNES) and Dracula X: Rondo of Blood (TCD), and have finished both games. Both of those are outstanding games, among the best platformers of the generation. In comparison Bloodlines is third or fourth tier.

No, it's unbiased analysis. The only fanboyism is people who claim that Hyperstone Heist and Bloodlines are actually as good as their SNES counterparts.
    My Collection: http://vgcollect.com/zetastrike

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

I agree. Well, except in regards to the music. The music in this game is really great, just not as great as in Revenge.
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

Revenge of Shinobi had a rather unforgiving dojo as far as being a True Ninja Master was concerned, I made it to the final boss a few times in that game and he just sent me back out. Shinobi Legions was equally brutal for the record.

But yes, Shinobi III had a more forgiving dojo, and I agree with the notion that the improved gameplay gave you a better chance at being a True Ninja Master. In short, I can beat this game in one sitting just fine, but with any other Shinobi game I have to work myself to the hilt.

Especially all those brutal jumps I had to take in Revenge of Shinobi...geez.

And finally, I loved the soundtrack to Shinobi III a great deal and rank it as one of my ten favorite Genesis soundtracks personally.

IMO this is much better than Revenge of Shinobi. Revenge is just too darn slow!
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

I remember playing this for the first time about 10 years after it came out and was sad the first time I beat the game watching the ending knowing it was the last shinobi game.

Old Sega is where it's at Wildside Expert Mykale's Avatar

just got this game 2 weeks ago, and playing it on expert is satisfying

Road Rasher

I'm in a similar boat. I didn't buy the game until earlier this year and it was a lot better than I thought it'd be. Around '93 I got heavily into PC games and I sort of missed a few years of console gaming. It's a great game and I highly recommend it. I wouldn't say it's better than Revenge of Shinobi, which is one of my all time favorites, but I think they're pretty equal. I did a review on youtube of the game, as well.

Death Adder's minion

I kinda wonder how Revenge of Shinobi would feel but using Shinobi III's control scheme. Although I think in both games the execution of the double jump requires too much precise timing. I only tried both of these games recently and wasn't sure what to expect because some old games when played now just aren't as fun as you immediately see the limitations. These games I found to be quite fun with good level design even at least for the first few levels I managed to play. The games are difficult but not in a bad way.

I have the same issue with Revenge as I do with old castlevania games...the really slow walking. You'd think ninjas and vampire hunters would have a greater sense of urgency. Another thing I've noticed is that not being able to shoot ninja stars diagonally felt limiting. I guess I'm too used to contra games which are a different genre.

The special-needs snowman Raging in the Streets Olls's Avatar

So there are actually people that prefer RoS over Shinobi III?
    RoS is so darn slow, it's like controlling a one-legged obese ninja suffering from artritis.
    Shinobi III, on the other hand, is surely a top 3 mega drive game.

Thread Information