Quantcast

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Space Harrier II

Default Space Harrier II

When the Genesis launched back in '89, nothing pleased us more than to get a sequel to Space Harrier. As one of the first titles out, it was great to have at what seem at the time to be a extremely fluid game. The scaling effects of the background to foreground were leaps and bounds for us who enjoyed the original back on the Sega Master System. So as far as Space Harrier is concerned, it's a solid game.
    Last edited by Melf; 09-01-2011 at 04:51 PM.

This game is great!
    Awesome music by Tokuhiko "Bo" Uwabo Music God of the SMS/Genesis, cool looking bosses, and arcade feel. Sure it's a bit choppy here and there and its not real scaling but the music alone makes up for all that.

yea when i got my genesis they had a special space harrier 2 and super thunderblade were both only $19.95 each at toys r us i thought both those games were kind of mediochre

make sure and visit my album

This game gives me a headache.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

An Elite Member Wildside Expert WoodyXP's Avatar

I was disappointed with Space Harrier 2 when it came out. Way back then I was expecting an arcade perfect port of Space Harrier. 'Cause after all the Genesis 'Brought the Arcade Home!'

Get ready to be offended.

According to me, Space Harrier 2 is the best game in the series.

The game play is very balanced, and the length is just about right.

The bosses are better designed too. One of the best, and under appreciated games for the genesis.

5/5

Raging in the Streets Thunderblaze16's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Curryman123 View Post
    Get ready to be offended.

According to me, Space Harrier 2 is the best game in the series.

The game play is very balanced, and the length is just about right.

The bosses are better designed too. One of the best, and under appreciated games for the genesis.

5/5
    SOMEBODY GET THIS GUY THE 32X VERSION IF HE THINKS THIS IS THE BEST!
    ***Visualshock! Speedshock! Soundshock! Now is time to the 68000 heart on fire!***
    http://ban-game-4.gamewise.co/musha-metallic-uniframe-super-hybrid-armor_banner65-61867-full.jpeg

Megadrive Maniac Outrunner Crackdown's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bohokii View Post
    yea when i got my genesis they had a special space harrier 2 and super thunderblade were both only $19.95 each at toys r us i thought both those games were kind of mediochre
    Funny enough I also picked up both this and Thunderblade at the same time for 19.99 in a local game store. Its a pretty good version of the game all in all for me. 7/10
    To be this good takes AGES, to be this good takes SEGA!

Lurker Raging in the Streets Tanegashima's Avatar

This, Afterburner, Thunderblade are all terrible on the Genesis, I love space harrier but this game is an abortion--the Genesis just can't handle it.

The only "Space Harrier" like game that did it well on the Genesis was Burning Force I have to say, Burning Force was really well executed.

Space Harrier and Afterburner are the justification for the 32X

There Can Only Be One
    He Will Rise Again (Once I've Located The Original Signatures )

WTF

While I can somewhat agree on Space Harrier II, IMO you're being too harsh on After Burner II.

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

I haven't played Space Harrier II much, but I remember enjoying it on the Nomad a while back (which is very flattering to games with scaling sprites).

I forgot!

There's no version whatsoever to be considered here.
    Space Harrier II is a sequel, not a port. It is unique to the Mega Drive, so comparing it to the 32X arcade port is of no use.

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

After Burner II on Genesis isn't even as close of a conversion as the PC-Engine version. I like it fine, but it pretty much shows what the Genesis was capable in a psuedo 3D Game and really shows the color limitations. Space Harrier II is its own game and shouldn't be discounted for that reason, it is a lot different than the original Space Harrier or the Master System games. The fact that they tried to run the grid floors looking just like the Arcade engine is very impressive even if it is a little low in framerate.

I definitely agree that After Burner Complete and Space Harrier on 32X are absolute justifications for the add-on. I was shocked and dismayed when I was reminded recently that the gaming press called these games "old" and rated them poorly at their release when no home system at the time had anything of their caliber.
    "... If Sony reduced the price of the Playstation, Sega would have to follow suit in order to stay competitive, .... would then translate into huge losses for the company." p170 Revolutionaries at Sony.

"We ... put Sega out of the hardware business ..." Peter Dille senior vice president of marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment

"Sega tried to have similarly strict licensing agreements as Nintendo...The only reason it didn't take off was because EA..." TrekkiesUnite

Quote Originally Posted by sheath View Post
    I was shocked and dismayed when I was reminded recently that the gaming press called these games "old" and rated them poorly at their release when no home system at the time had anything of their caliber.
    Why the shock?
    I for one agree with the gaming press.

The perception was exactly that, old games that were being re-released on a pricey, unnecessary add-on. The ports might have been great and faithful and all that, but they were doomed to fail because of the 32X.

About After Burner II, I agree that the PC Engine looks better. However, the MD version plays better.

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kollision View Post
    Why the shock?
    I for one agree with the gaming press.

The perception was exactly that, old games that were being re-released on a pricey, unnecessary add-on. The ports might have been great and faithful and all that, but they were doomed to fail because of the 32X.

About After Burner II, I agree that the PC Engine looks better. However, the MD version plays better.
    Meh, we've been round and round about the 32X's marketing potential, it was hardly seen as a false start. I was shocked because After Burner Complete and Space Harrier still represented cutting edge graphics, sound and gameplay when they were for the first time released in Arcade perfect quality on the 32X. I must have completely overlooked the reviews at the time, because I considered both games major reasons why I needed a 32X at launch. After Burner in the Arcade was the reason I was a gamer in the first place and nothing was its equal, and the game has still aged better than Saturn and PS1 3D graphics by a wide margin. I only wish the 32X had seen even more super scaler Arcade ports of that quality.
    "... If Sony reduced the price of the Playstation, Sega would have to follow suit in order to stay competitive, .... would then translate into huge losses for the company." p170 Revolutionaries at Sony.

"We ... put Sega out of the hardware business ..." Peter Dille senior vice president of marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment

"Sega tried to have similarly strict licensing agreements as Nintendo...The only reason it didn't take off was because EA..." TrekkiesUnite

Thread Information