Quantcast

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Space Harrier II

Death Bringer ESWAT Veteran Black_Tiger's Avatar

At the time, I thought that Afterburner and Space Harrier were a great idea for the 32X. They retailed for less than half the price of a regular game, while other 32X games retailed for a little more than regular games. They were a great value that required a small investment and felt well above what 16-bit consoles were capable of. They were much more impressive to my than the polygonal space games.

Space Harrier II is a cool game and having the faithful floor is a big deal to me. It was just over too quick and wasn't fun to replay for very long. The perfect rental when it came out and a good buy today.

To be realistic i was not expecting arcade perfect quality on a megadrive and the sound was average as usual but i quite like it for the time, it was quite playable but i do think a few more frames of animation would of helped the scaling effect.

Level 6 Rocket Knight Raging in the Streets jerry coeurl's Avatar

I like this game quite a bit. I almost got to the end just now, perhaps I'll beat it tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by soviet View Post
    If Sega making condoms,I will to one-night-stands in every night~

I like this game - it's not 60 fps, but it's an early MD title. The music is weird though.

Road Rasher

I like Space Harrier II. I also like the SMS port of Space Harrier and Space Harrier 3D.

Nameless One

Choppy, but far less of an issue as such than Super Thunder Blade was, and a decent launch title for the system. I also like how downright weird most of the bosses are. I still think the original's best, but this is definitely worth a look. (It also helped that for a while they were giving this away on like GreenManGaming or something like that.) Wish the title screen music wasn't so buggy though!

I always wondered why the music sounded weird - is it really a bug?

Choppy music?
    I don't remember that at all.

The music was just unfitting for the game.

The intro game screen music does sound odd. It does have that 'chop' sound. I still like the game, though.

It's not that the Genesis hardware "can't handle it". Space Harrier 2 could have been much better, but unfortunately the programmers of the time being unfamiliar with the system were to blame along with the memory constraints. Then there's the question of the game design itself. Many of the enemies are just silly and Space Harrier himself is now red. It is absolutely a game that was never fully completed (Harrier still runs when standing still, for example). Unfortunately Space Harrier 2 is a victim of it's own time and inexperience, but I still enjoy it.

I think this is a good version of Space Harrier, especially if you consider that this was a launch title; it's obviously not Arcade-perfect, but there's something very enjoyable about this game. I think that's because it captures the 'spirit' of the original game, IDK.

I like what Bo did with the music in this version too; it suits the game well.
    Last edited by Bottino; 09-25-2014 at 07:04 PM.

Nameless One

Seeing what was pulled of at the middle to the end of the system's lifecycle, it would have been interesting to see a re-release (or a MCD version with true scaling).
    But then again, this goes for most close to launch titles.

A shame M2 didn't include a mode that uses real scaling for the PS2 AGES version re-release.

Still, the game is very enjoyable in it's current state, unlike others *coughSuperThunderbladecough*

Quote Originally Posted by FSR View Post

Still, the game is very enjoyable in it's current state, unlike others *coughSuperThunderbladecough*
    I never understood why Sega decided to release Thunder Blade as a launch title. It was obvious that they wouldn't be able to even remotely pull that game off on the Genesis at that point.

Altered Beast made perfect sense, as did Golden Axe and even Space Harrier II turned out to be very enjoyable as did Super Hang-On, but Thunder Blade was too much. The same thing with Galaxy Force II.

Maybe Sega should've kicked the 32X with Thunder Blade, Galaxy Force II, Power Drift... that would've been awesome, but perhaps wasn't a viable option at that point.
    Last edited by Bottino; 09-26-2014 at 01:28 PM. Reason: typos

Outrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Bottino View Post
    Maybe Sega should've kicked the 32X with Thunder Blade, Galaxy Force II, Power Drift... that would've been awesome, but perhaps wasn't a viable option at that point.
    And that to a pixel perfect Outrun and I will sold my soul to get 32x then...

Super Robot Raging in the Streets Obviously's Avatar

I've crapped on this game a lot in the past but I've been playing it recently and, well, it's fine. Not fantastic, I'd still rather play Burning Force, but fine.

I've stopped thinking of it as a conversion of the arcade and started considering it as its own thing and I appreciate it a little more.

Thread Information