Quantcast

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spider-Man vs. the Kingpin

Master of Shinobi midnightrider's Avatar

I never knew if you were supposed to fight the Kingpin or find a way to pull the lever, or what? That was way back then when I could even get to him. Wouldn't look forward to trying it now, and screwing up that bomb sequence 20 times over...

So's your old man! Raging in the Streets zetastrike's Avatar

Hit detection in the whole game seems off to me, at least the MD version. I have a really hard time getting punches and kicks to connect, especially in the sewer stage with the mutants attacking you. It feels like pure luck if I hit them. I find it easier to just try to web swing through a lot of the stages and avoid everything, but that goes against the point of the game.

The CD version of the game feels so much more refined in every way with much better hit detection and control. I even like the SMS version a lot more than the MD. It feels like it's own thing and has pretty good gameplay for an 8 bit Spidey game. When I play the MD version, I just find myself wishing I was playing the SCD game instead. The music is surprisingly passable for what sounds like GEMS.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon
    Nope. Bloodlines is the problem, not me. I have no trouble with Super Castlevania IV (SNES) and Dracula X: Rondo of Blood (TCD), and have finished both games. Both of those are outstanding games, among the best platformers of the generation. In comparison Bloodlines is third or fourth tier.

No, it's unbiased analysis. The only fanboyism is people who claim that Hyperstone Heist and Bloodlines are actually as good as their SNES counterparts.
    My Collection: http://vgcollect.com/zetastrike

Raging in the Streets

Quote Originally Posted by midnightrider View Post
    I never knew if you were supposed to fight the Kingpin or find a way to pull the lever, or what? That was way back then when I could even get to him. Wouldn't look forward to trying it now, and screwing up that bomb sequence 20 times over...
    Hit the lever with the web to stop it from lowering Mary Jane, and you have to hit Kingpin in the head to hurt him.

I played this game to death when I was a kid. I could only beat kingpin with the game genie. I never knew it was released on SEGEA CD. I'll have to look it up.

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by zetastrike View Post
    Hit detection in the whole game seems off to me, at least the MD version. I have a really hard time getting punches and kicks to connect, especially in the sewer stage with the mutants attacking you. It feels like pure luck if I hit them. I find it easier to just try to web swing through a lot of the stages and avoid everything, but that goes against the point of the game.

The CD version of the game feels so much more refined in every way with much better hit detection and control. I even like the SMS version a lot more than the MD. It feels like it's own thing and has pretty good gameplay for an 8 bit Spidey game. When I play the MD version, I just find myself wishing I was playing the SCD game instead. The music is surprisingly passable for what sounds like GEMS.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to zetastrike again.

Dammit!

Finally i've beaten this game on Nightmare mode.
    Like Kollision said, you gotta time those jump kicks and hit him right in the forehead; it's best to keep a safe distance and jump kick him when is walking towards you. A good timing is the key.

Did a perfect run, without dying once, and scored 90.364 points with 18h27m34s left. Below these scores the number 15397647 appeared after and i have no idea what it means.

Anyway, i had a lot of fun revisiting this game; it's not Amazing, but it sure is a good title.

Quote Originally Posted by zetastrike View Post
    The music is surprisingly passable for what sounds like GEMS.
    On a side note, this game doesn't use the GEMS sound driver according to DUSTINDELLOFICIAL's channel on Youtube, who has recorded a bunch of MD music from real hardware.
    I am still working on this. I haven't figured it all out yet but I am pulling out the sound data & sound driver for the ROM. I have it all identified & I hope to have a sound test ROM working soon. If you know of the GEMS sound driver the game uses what seems to be a very early relative of it, there are similarities. The sound driver seems to be totally unique to this game.
    I dig the music in this game; it's not anything mind blowing, but it has a very distinct sound, like an 70's or 80's action thriller or something.
    Last edited by Bottino; 10-04-2014 at 01:40 AM.

Sorry for the double post.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightrider View Post
    Wouldn't look forward to trying it now, and screwing up that bomb sequence 20 times over...
    How can you screw that up?

If you wait a little, the bomb flashes with the correspondent color from the key that you're supposed to enter.
    Repeat that procedure until you have disabled the bomb.

Master of Shinobi midnightrider's Avatar

I was pretty young when I used to do it, so I just went by trial and error, and memorizing the order. Otherwise, patience is something I still struggle with.

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Ha! That picture is awesome! I bet ol' web head himself enjoys plugging this game into his Mega Drive just as much as I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Bottino View Post
    Finally i've beaten this game on Nightmare mode.
    Like Kollision said, you gotta time those jump kicks and hit him right in the forehead; it's best to keep a safe distance and jump kick him when is walking towards you. A good timing is the key.

Did a perfect run, without dying once, and scored 90.364 points with 18h27m34s left. Below these scores the number 15397647 appeared after and i have no idea what it means.
    I've never given that number any thought, but I'd like to know what that is, too.

To be honest, I screwed that bomb sequence up lots of times, too. For the longest time, I didn't know I had to wait for it to give me the next color.

I did another run in Nightmare mode, other settings were hyper-strong stamina and web cartridges at 8. I don't really know if these settings change anything when it comes to the score. Outcome:

Score: 173450
    Time left: 21:52:41
    Total money left: $ 1460
    Number below score: 48768184

Had a really hard time with the Kingpin, I was virtually out of web when I gave him the final kick.

Nice looking game, one of the first MD games I saw in action, in a classmate's house. However, I still find it too hard and unforgiving, even in the "Easy" setting. Not that I find it bad, have mercy, but it never actually, er... "Connected" with me.

Like the reviewer says, its principal strength is being very true to the spirit of the comics. 'NUFF SAID!

Beware of playing on easy, it will only allow you to play the first 4 levels. Something I learned the hard way.

Quote Originally Posted by GelmiR View Post
    Beware of playing on easy, it will only allow you to play the first 4 levels. Something I learned the hard way.
    Thanks for the heads-up. When I was younger, I didn't care about playing truncated games, but as an adult, yep, it pisses me off. Badly.

Raging in the Streets

It's been a very long time since I played ths but doesn't the game force you to play Nightmare to play the whole game?

Thread Information