Quantcast

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Street Fighter II: Special Champion Edition

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Aleste's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    SSFIIX didn't have a "color palette upgrade" and games built from the ground up for CPS2 don't look noticeably different color-wise.

SSFIIX is based on CPS1 assets and still looks CPS1.
    The new hardware chooses colors from a way larger palette, but of course both boards have 4096 colors max on screen, and yes, SSF2 is built largely from graphical assets from the previous game. Still, on Megadrive with its 64 colors selectable from a 512 palette, the difference in hues and tones was detrimental for this second outing. And in fact, the stages that offered a poorer rendition are the New Challengers stages. The Jamaica stage is a far cry from the arcade obviously, but also from the Snes rendtion (and that's without factoring the lack of parallax levels).

My point stands, and also I feel it gets stronger with time: nowadays that CPS2 boards are flawlessly present in the palm of our hands, I feel that I can nonetheless get back to the Genesis SF2SCE and have a blast with a product of its time, but I can hardly feel the same for the severely downgraded SSFII, and the general reception back then was more or less the same.

Edit: here's a couple of comparison links for the sake of it.

At Game Pilgrimage, SSFII has a screenshot color count of 50 on Genesis and 127 on SNES (the previous title fares the same of course, but that's to be expected).

http://www.gamepilgrimage.com/TheSegaGenesis.htm
    http://www.gamepilgrimage.com/SSFII.htm

at SuperPCEngineGrafx.com you can see a detailed comparison of SFII': notice for example the background graphics: when Genesis can work it out with a muted palette, like in Honda, Chun-Li or Ken, it kinda works. But when you have pixelart with pastel colors trying to convey a soffused light, like in Balrog/Vega, it takes a huge hit. And that's the issue with SSFII Cammy, DeeJay and Fei Long backgrounds as well.

https://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/s...ison_main.html
    https://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/s...bgs_page2.html
    Last edited by Aleste; 05-12-2020 at 05:53 AM.

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by Aleste View Post
    SFII SCE was the Megadrive squeezed to maximum to port a CPS1 arcade.
    If "squeezed to maximum" means no use of graphics compression, poor color choices, no use of mid-frame tricks, background art detail loss due to automatic conversion, subpar use of parallax, buggy audio driver, poor music renditions and reused assets from the SNES ports; then, yes, it was "squeezed to the maximum".

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Aleste's Avatar

All the things you mention derive from it being a conversion from SNES. Capcom put in a real effort where it counted: the port is fast, more complete than the Snes one when it comes to samples and animations, and crucially it was coordinated with Sega that brought the 6b pad to life for this... Given the circumstances, it's a markedly stronger effort than SSFII. The things you are asking for* could only be achieved by a developer starting from scratch on the Genesis platform as basis, and nor Capcom nor Sega were in such position.

*except the poor color choice, which ultimately gets way worse in the sequel.

Well, we couldn't complain, especially if we had the 6-button pad. Looks, sounds (except for the voices, but back then I didn't notice) and plays as well as the MD could do, and it proved to be quite a lot.

Death Bringer ESWAT Veteran Black_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bigladiesman View Post
    Well, we couldn't complain, especially if we had the 6-button pad. Looks, sounds (except for the voices, but back then I didn't notice) and plays as well as the MD could do, and it proved to be quite a lot.
    Fans have proved how much better the graphics could be with as little as a color hack, which is bottlenecked by how Capcom made it.

Even a version based on the SNES assets could look much better if done right during development.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Say, the SF games - and Capcom's work in general - on our black wonders are quite controversial between real savants. It's not the first time I read or hear from people with high technical knowledge that SCE and SSFII were a bit on the half-assed side.
    However, I try to speak about the time I played these games, when I was about 10. Of course hacks have showed that it could have been done better. Especially those tinny voices or the broken parallax you guys speak about: I knew that movement of the floor looked unnatural! Then again, I'm a casual, not a savant: I'm learning a lot thanks to to you, guys!

Thread Information