Quantcast

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Street Fighter II: Special Champion Edition

Default Street Fighter II: Special Champion Edition

Sega fans rejoiced when Capcom announced plans to not only bring Street Fighter II to the Genesis, but as an exclusive Champion Edition as well, meaning Sega owners would get mirror matches, more moves, faster speed and the ability to play as the bosses. However, things would change in the following months, and to make a long story short Genesis players would wind up with a Special Champion Edition, basically a port of the SNES' Street Fighter II Turbo with some Genesis-exclusive features. While it wasn't the killing Genesis players envisioned, it still does an excellent job bringing street fighting action to the ol' black box.
    Last edited by Melf; 09-02-2011 at 05:21 PM.

Move Between worlds Raging in the Streets TheEdge's Avatar

I like Super Street Fighter II better. It just seems more complete. The Boss characters standard moves actually make sense in it. Also Fei Long rules.
    "A Radical is One Who Speaks the Truth"

http://the-coolinator-lounge.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by beef jerky man View Post
    There's not many people willing to go against the grain, which explains why we're in such a dilapidated state. I personally commend The Edge for being so resilient.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEdge View Post
    I like Super Street Fighter II better. It just seems more complete. The Boss characters standard moves actually make sense in it. Also Fei Long rules.
    amen to that

Road Rasher

I like Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers more, although Street Fighter II: Special Champion Edition is still a great port.

The special-needs snowman Raging in the Streets Olls's Avatar

Super is of course better. It has super in the name.
    This is a decent port, but they could've handled the sound a lot better. This goes for Super as well.

For great justice! Outrunner Tor Landeel's Avatar

I like SSF2 but the edge goes to SF2:CE because it's a much more polished game.
    ***** トル・ランディール ******
    Cadash Arcade Colors hack:
    https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3905/
    Out Run Arcade Colors hack:
    https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3940/

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

Outside of Street Fighter Alpha 2 my most played game is Champion Edition, I don't like Turbo.

Quote Originally Posted by Tor Landeel View Post
    I like SSF2 but the edge goes to SF2:CE because it's a much more polished game.
    Explain.

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by Olls View Post
    Super is of course better. It has super in the name.
    This is a decent port, but they could've handled the sound a lot better. This goes for Super as well.
    Explain.

Loves Lori Bazzil! Raging in the Streets 108 Stars's Avatar

SCE is more polished in that it makes better use of the Genny´s colors. Some of the palette swaps made for Super SF II look atrocious, and the sound may be even worse than on SCE.
    It´s just obvious that Capcom pulled off a quick me-too-port from the SNES, while they really spent some time and effort on SCE (eventhough Sega had to push them to do that), making it look great and adding more value with game modes and options compared to other versions.

Hero of Algol

^Wow, exactly what I've always thought!

Playing the Genesis version of Super SFII it's common to look at the TV screen and see something like:
    A blue fighter's pants, blue in the other fighter's T-Shirt and blue in some background objects... The same blue tone!
    It's just awful and reminds me the graphical difference between the leaked beta SFII Turbo and the official SFII SCE for the Genesis.

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

The colors in SCE/Turbo are awful. Really really awful.
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

Loves Lori Bazzil! Raging in the Streets 108 Stars's Avatar

Hearing that from you just shows I am right, because you are wrong on everything by default.

For great justice! Outrunner Tor Landeel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Olls View Post
    Explain.
    108 Stars just got it right, SF2:CE looks and sounds better than SSF2, take a look at blanka's stage for example, the people on Super's are outlined with black lines and have..what? 4 colors each? And all that yellow around?? Cmon, it just needed some more effort and could have looked a lot better, a lot more like CE!
    Lots of stuff feel more rushed in Super, the PCM channel mixing engine didn't get any better and actually samples sound worse (crowd sound still makes my ear bleed), the awful palette choices, the ugly redrawn backgrounds (including Balrog's too)..
    So I'm still convinced that SF2:CE is more polished, balanced speaking of graphics/sound, and a better effort.

Last edited by Tor Landeel; 09-14-2011 at 01:20 PM.
    ***** トル・ランディール ******
    Cadash Arcade Colors hack:
    https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3905/
    Out Run Arcade Colors hack:
    https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3940/

Quote Originally Posted by Tor Landeel View Post
    108 Stars just got it right, SF2:CE looks and sounds better than SSF2, take a look at blanka's stage for example, the people on Super's are outlined with black lines and have..what? 4 colors each? And all that yellow around?? Cmon, it just needed some more effort and could have looked a lot better, a lot more like CE!
    Lots of stuff feel more rushed in Super, the PCM channel mixing engine didn't get any better and actually samples sound worse (crowd sound still makes my ear bleed), the awful palette choices, the ugly redrawn backgrounds (including Balrog's too)..
    So I'm still convinced that SF2:CE is more polished, balanced speaking of graphics/sound, and a better effort.
    I agree.

agostinho, stop following me around quoting my posts if you have nothing constructive to say, you derp. You're deliberately trying to bait me to get me banned and apparently it's working.
    So fucking sad; get a life. I know you're reporting every post I make responding to your trollbait, so here's another for you to report.
    Last edited by Olls; 09-14-2011 at 01:33 PM.

Thread Information