Quantcast

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Street Fighter II: Special Champion Edition

Road Rasher

I did notice that the clouds do not scroll in Blanka's background in either version of Street Fighter II on the Sega Mega Drive. They also do not scroll in the SNES version of Super Street Fighter II, although the clouds do scroll in the SNES ports of Street Fighter II: The World Warrior and Street Fighter II: Turbo.

I enjoy SFII: Turbo and SFII:SCE equally; I do not prefer one over the other. I find that both ports have their advantages and disadvantages. The color palette in SFII: Turbo looks closer to the arcade version compared to SFII:SCE, although Sega did do a good job with the color palette on their system as well. The voices seem to be slightly sped-up in the SNES port for some reason, but it doesn't really bother me. I like the music in both ports equally; the Mega Drive version has music that sounds closer to the arcade version, while the soundtrack used for the SNES version is based on a SFII soundtrack CD (from what I've heard the CD was only released in Japan) that contains remixed versions of the arcade music tracks.

For great justice! Outrunner Tor Landeel's Avatar

Yeah, but this was not the usual Genny VS Snes talk.
    We're arguing over the best Street Fighter on Genesis, whether it's Special Champion Edition, or Super.
    What about that?
    ***** トル・ランディール ******
    Cadash Arcade Colors hack:
    https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3905/
    Out Run Arcade Colors hack:
    https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3940/

good conversion overall.

Road Rasher

Response to Tor Landeel

The reason why I prefer Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers (the Sega Genesis/Sega Mega Drive port) over Street Fighter II: Special Champion Edition is because it has everything that made the SFII:SCE Mega Drive port great and expands upon it. The graphics have been improved (although I do prefer the color palette in SFII:SCE), the control layout is exactly the same (which is awesome), there are four new characters (Cammy White, Dee Jay, Fei Long, and T. Hawk), the twelve returning characters have additional normal moves and special moves, and the new modes (Time Attack, Point Score Battle, etc) make the game even more fun to play and I believe that they give the game more replay value. The music, in my opinion, isn't as good as the music in Street Fighter II: Special Champion Edition. I respect your opinion that Street Fighter II: Special Champion Edition is better than Super Street Fighter II on the Sega Genesis as you did explain why you enjoyed it more; I'm okay with that.

From,
    Josh
    Last edited by Josh; 06-05-2012 at 05:39 PM.

Actually, while I prefer SF2:CE for the reasons I explained, I find myself playing SSF2 with friends right because of what you said, it's a more complete game and it has more replay value.
    The graphics being worse in many istances (IMO), and the sound being weaker are not deal breakers, what really matters it's the gameplay and variety, and SSF2 has tons to give.
    I still feel it's a rushed and maybe a lazy job, but indeed is one of my favourites.
    ***** トル・ランディール ******

Loves Lori Bazzil! Raging in the Streets 108 Stars's Avatar

And all live happy and in peace ever after.

Road Rasher

Street Fighter IIí: Special Champion Edition/Street Fighter II Dash Plus: Champion Edition (Ken Masters) Guide

Released: 1993

Video Game Console: Sega Mega Drive (Sega Genesis in NTSC regions)

Additional information on Street Fighter IIí: Special Champion Edition/Street Fighter II Dash Plus: Champion Edition (Sega Mega Drive/Sega Genesis)

Developer: Capcom

Publisher (PAL version): Sega (U.S. and Japanese versions published by Capcom)

Licensing: Sega Enterprises, ltd (Arcade version licensed by Capcom)

Table of Contents

1. DISCLAIMER
    2. Rules/guidelines on re-posting this guide
    3. Button Layout
    4. Kenís Special Moves
    5. Combos
    6. Vs. Ryu
    7. Vs. E. Honda
    8. Vs. Blanka
    9. Vs. Guile
    10. Vs. Ken (Self)
    11. Vs. Chun Li
    12. Vs. Zangief
    13. Vs. Dhalsim
    14. Vs. Balrog (M. Bison in the Japanese version)
    15. Vs. Vega (Balrog in the Japanese version)
    16. Vs. Sagat
    17. Vs. M. Bison (Vega in the Japanese version)
    18. My thoughts on this port (My two cents)
    19. Cheats
    20. Special Thanks To

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    - 1. DISCLAIMER: I do not own anything related to Capcom, Sega, or any other video game manufacturers/companies. Everything related to the Street Fighter series (games, merchandise, characters, etc) are trademarks and property of Capcom and I am not taking credit for any of their work. This guide is not to be sold for profit; it is to be used for personal (gaming) use only. I am not making any money whatsoever off of this guide. This guide is not copyrighted in any way, shape, or form. This guide was created by me for the sole purpose of helping those who are struggling with the game and/or those who are new to the Street Fighter series.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    - 2. Rules/guidelines on re-posting this guide

If you wish to post this guide on another website, ask me beforehand (send me a private message or contact me on my profile) and tell me where you want to post it. I will consider letting you post the guide. If I decline your request, donít ask me again or I will report you for spamming. If I decide to accept it and let you do so, you are required by me to obey these rules/guidelines:

1. The text in the guide canít be changed, removed, or modified in any way, shape, or form.
    2. All credit must be given to me (Josh@Sega-16.com.)

If this guide is re-posted on this website (Sega-16.com) or any other without my given permission, I will contact the administrators on the website and report your post in regards to plagiarism. I will also send a suggestion that you have your posting privileges revoked and have your account banned.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    - 3. Button Layout

Three button pad (Standard controller)

A button: Light attack
    B button: Medium attack
    C button: Fierce attack
    Start button: Switches between punches and kicks. The default setting is set to punches.

Six button pad (Arcade controller)

A button: Short Kick
    B button: Forward Kick (Medium Kick)
    C button: Roundhouse Kick
    X button: Jab Punch
    Y button: Strong Punch
    Z button: Fierce Punch
    Start button: Pauses the game.

Toward or back + Fierce punch or roundhouse kick will execute a throw or hold; some characters can also do these maneuvers with the strong punch or forward kick (medium kick) buttons.

Characters with throws and holds: Dhalsim, E. Honda, Zangief
    Characters with throws only: Chun Li, Guile, Ken, M. Bison (Vega in the Japanese version), Sagat, Ryu, Vega (Balrog in the Japanese version)
    Characters with holds only: Balrog (M. Bison in the Japanese version), Blanka

- 4. Kenís Special Moves

1. Hadouken (Fireball)
    Command: Down, down toward, toward + any punch button
    Description: A blue projectile that goes straight across the screen horizontally.
    Special priorities: None

The punch button used will determine the speed of the projectile.
    Jab Punch: Slow speed
    Strong Punch: Medium speed
    Fierce Punch: Fast speed

2. Shoryuken (Dragon Punch)
    Command: Toward, down, down toward + any punch button
    Description: A jumping uppercut.
    Special priorities: Has invulnerability frames (can be used to go through projectiles)

The punch button used will determine the amount of hits and range of the Shoryuken.
    Jab Punch: Very little range, one hit
    Strong Punch: Good range, two hits
    Fierce Punch: Great range, two hits

3. Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku (Helicopter Kick/Hurricane Kick)
    Command: Down, down back, back + any kick button
    Description: A spinning kick attack that goes straight across the screen horizontally.
    Special priorities: Can be used in mid-air

The kick button used will determine the amount of hits and range of the Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku.
    Short Kick: Very little range, one to two hits
    Forward Kick (Medium Kick): Decent range, two to three hits
    Roundhouse Kick: Good range, three to four hits

- 5. Combos

1. Jumping fierce punch - fierce punch - Hadouken combo
    Number of hits: Three

Jump at your opponent and perform a late fierce (press the fierce punch button before making contact with the ground); when you land do a standing or crouching fierce, then follow that with a Hadouken. This combo is guaranteed to dizzy the opponent.

2. Jumping fierce to Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku combo
    Number of hits: Two to three

Jump at your opponent and perform an early fierce (press the fierce punch button when near your opponent's head) then use a Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku.

3. Jumping fierce punch - standing fierce punch - Shoryuken combo
    Number of hits: Three to four

Jump at your opponent and perform a late fierce; use a standing fierce when you land, then execute a Shoryuken. Using a jab Shoryuken will do three hits, while a strong or fierce Shoryuken will do four hits.

4. Crouching forward kick (medium kick) to Hadouken
    Number of hits: Two

When crouching next to your opponent, press the forward kick (medium kick) button, then use a Hadouken.

- 6. Vs. Ryu
    Ryu will often throw Hadoukens at you. You can use a Shoryuken to go through them, throw Hadoukens of your own, block them, or jump over them. This fight is much easier if you get Ryu into a corner. If you jump over one of Ryuís Hadoukens, you can use a roundhouse kick while in the air, then use a crouching roundhouse when you land and throw a Hadouken as he is getting up which will dizzy him. You can follow that with a combo.

Difficulty: 3/5

- 7. Vs. E. Honda
    E. Honda is easy to beat with Ken if you donít get caught in a corner. Itís best to keep E. Honda at mid-range while fighting him. If he uses the Sumo Smash to go through your Hadouken, use a Shoryuken or a crouching roundhouse kick. If you are in a corner and E. Honda is using the Hundred Hand Slap, you can trade hits with a Shoryuken to knock him back and regain control of the match.

Difficulty: 2.5/5

- 8. Vs. Blanka
    Blanka is fairly easy to beat. You want to be in a corner so that his Vertical Rolling Attack canít hit you from behind. When Blanka is walking back into the edge of the screen or jumping back to the edge of the screen, thatís a sign that he is going to use a Horizontal Rolling Attack. If he does this, counter with a Hadouken or Shoryuken. If he walks up toward you and backs up a bit, he will often use crouching fierce punches. I recommend using crouching forward kicks (medium kicks). These come out earlier than Blankaís crouching fierce punches and you can use them to knock him back or trade hits.

Difficulty: 2/5

- 9. Vs. Guile
    Guile can give Ken problems. His Sonic Boom comes out faster than your Hadouken and he, like Ryu with his Hadoukens, will throw these all day long if you let him. Getting Guile into a corner will limit his offensive options, so that is your best bet. If youíre at mid-range, throw Hadoukens to get him to block and slowly chip away his health. If he jumps over one, use a Shoryuken to knock him back into the corner and continue throwing Hadoukens. Guile will block almost all of your Shoryukens you use and counter with a Flash Kick if he is on the ground. If you use a jab Shoryuken and he blocks it, you can block his Flash Kick when you land if he whiffs and then use another Shoryuken to knock him out of the air.

- 10. Vs. Ken (Self)
    Ken will often start off the round with a Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku; counter with a Hadouken, a crouching fierce punch, or a Shoryuken. If he doesnít do that, he will jump back into a corner and throw a few Hadoukens (two to three most of the time) then jump toward you. When he does this, throw Hadoukens of your own to nullify his; use a Shoryuken to hit him and knock him onto the ground when he jumps at you. If you get into a corner, Ken will use Shoryukens to try to hit you. Block them and counter with a Shoryuken.

- 11. Vs. Chun Li
    Chun Liís new Kikoken (Fireball) maneuver does add some more challenge to defeating her, but only by a very slight margin. Chun Li often jumps around the screen with wall jumps to try to get closer to you. Use a Shoryuken when she does this. Chun Li will throw Kikokens twice at mid-range most of the time; use a Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku when in mid-air to go over the projectile and throw her when you land.

Difficulty: 1.5/5

- 12. Vs. Zangief
    Zangief is easy to beat if you can keep him at a fair distance. Throw jab Hadoukens at him; Zangief will block them, jump over them, or use his Spinning Clothesline to go through them. If he jumps over one, use a fierce Shoryuken to knock him on the ground and continue using Hadoukens. Since Kenís Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku doesnít knock down unless the opponent is hit in mid-air, it isnít very reliable in this fight.

- 13. Vs. Dhalsim
    Dhalsimís Yoga Teleport makes him easier than ever to beat. He will often use them to get close to you; throw him as soon as you see him land from it. Using jab Hadoukens will help you out here; Dhalsim will jump over them, or occasionally slide under them. Since Dhalsim has major hang time during his jump, you can simply walk toward him if heís far away and use a Shoryuken to hit him. He slides a lot at mid-range, so either counter with a crouching roundhouse kick or block it and throw him.

- 14. Vs. Balrog (M. Bison in the Japanese version)
    If you get into a corner, your chances of winning are not that great. Throw a fierce Hadouken as soon as the fight starts as Balrog will often try to jump and punch you when the fight begins. Throw jab Hadoukens if you are far away from him. Balrogís Dash Punch moves can be beat with a crouching forward kick (medium kick) or can trade hits with his Dashing Straight Punch. Balrog can use Turn Punches to go through your projectiles, so watch out for that.

- 15. Vs. Vega (Balrog in the Japanese version)
    Like Chun Li, Vega can jump off walls. Throw a jab Hadouken when the fight starts as Vega will always jump back to the corner of the screen when the fight begins. Vega will then walk into your Hadouken or jump over it, giving you the perfect opportunity to use a Shoryuken to knock him back onto the ground. If you get Vega into a corner, his fate is sealed. Use a Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku, which he will crouch under. Vega will use a crouching roundhouse to try to hit you when you land, but he will miss the majority of the time. When he goes to slide, throw him into the corner and repeat.

Difficulty: 1/5

- 16. Vs. Sagat
    Use a fierce Hadouken as soon as the fight begins. Sagat will get hit or block it. Continue throwing them until you get him into a corner. Sagat will throw high and low Tiger Shots at you, just crouch under the high ones and jump over the low ones. If you jump too late or just blindly jump at Sagat, he will use a Tiger Uppercut to knock you onto the ground. When he throws a low Tiger Shot at mid-range, jump at him and perform a late roundhouse kick, then use a crouching roundhouse kick to knock him down. Use a Hadouken as he is getting up to dizzy him and follow this with a combo.

- 17. Vs. M. Bison (Vega in the Japanese version)
    When the fight starts, M. Bison will try to jump over you or walk toward you. If he walks toward you, jump and perform a Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku in mid-air to get over him and throw him when you land. If M. Bison jumps, use a Shoryuken to knock him down and throw a fierce Hadouken as he is getting up. Use a jab Hadouken if he blocks or gets hit by the fierce one. If he gets hit, chances are good that heís dizzy. Throw him into a corner and use the same tactic you used earlier on Vega (Balrog in the Japanese version); Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku to throw.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    - 18. My thoughts on this port (My two cents)
    Capcom and Sega did an excellent job porting this game to the Sega Mega Drive/Sega Genesis; it has great graphics, decent sound quality, awesome music, and terrific gameplay with a lot of replay value. The exclusive Group Battle mode, which contains Match Play and Elimination modes, is a cool addition to this port. I recommend getting Street Fighter IIí: Special Champion Edition as it is an excellent fighting game to add to your collection.

Street Fighter IIí: Special Champion Edition (Sega Mega Drive)
    Graphics: 9/10
    Sound: 8/10
    Gameplay: 9/10
    Fun Factor: 10/10
    Overall: 36/40 (9/10)
    Grade: A- (90%)
    - 19. Cheats

1. Choose the same character twice (Group Battle mode)
    After you select Group Battle mode, quickly press the following buttons on the second player control pad:

Down, C, Up, A, A, B, B, C

Down, Z, Up, X, A, Y, B, C

If you entered the code correctly, you will hear Chun Li say ďSpinning Bird Kick.Ē

2. Select five speed settings in Champ mode
    When the building in the intro fades, quickly press the following buttons:

Down, C, Up, A, A, B, B, C

Down, Z, Up, X, A, Y, B, C

If you entered the code correctly, you will hear E. Honda grunt. You will now be able to select from five different speed settings in Champ mode.

- 20. Special Thanks To
    Capcom for creating the Street Fighter franchise.

Sega and Capcom for making this awesome port.

Sega-16 forum users Cornholio857, Aarzak, goldenband, and agostinhobaroners for the support.

Total time it took to write this guide: 3 hours.
    Last edited by Josh; 03-24-2012 at 12:53 PM.

Japanese Sonic CD FTW!!! Master of Shinobi Ecco's Avatar

What does the 1st of the codes do? (The group battle one)

Loves Lori Bazzil! Raging in the Streets 108 Stars's Avatar

Probably as it says, it lets you choose the same character twice in your group. You usuallz can only have each character once.

Do you have TP??? Raging in the Streets Cornholio857's Avatar

Excellent guide you wrote, Josh. Very informative.

Road Rasher

Response to Cornholio857

Thank you for the compliment. I really appreciate it.
    Last edited by Josh; 09-29-2011 at 08:16 PM.

Road Rasher

Response to Tor Landeel (comment #20)

You stated that the graphics are worse in SSFII than SFII:SCE in your opinion; are you referring to the color palette selection, animation quality, or both?

From,
    Josh

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Response to Tor Landeel (comment #20)

You stated that the graphics are worse in SSFII than SFII:SCE in your opinion; are you referring to the color palette selection, animation quality, or both?

From,
    Josh
    As shown, SSF2 is worse for the lacking quality of its backgrounds, and poor palette choices. I have no problem with the excellent sprites and animations, which is the most important thing because those affect the gameplay directly.
    ***** トル・ランディール ******

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    I did notice that the clouds do not scroll in Blanka's background in either version of Street Fighter II on the Sega Mega Drive. They also do not scroll in the SNES version of Super Street Fighter II, although the clouds do scroll in the SNES ports of Street Fighter II: The World Warrior and Street Fighter II: Turbo.
    It may also be worth pointing out that the clouds in Blanka's stage don't scroll in the arcade versions of Super (and Super Turbo) either. The only versions in the arcade with the scrolling clouds in Blanka's stage were World Warrior, Champion Edition, and Hyper Fighting.

So yeah, the lack of scrolling clouds on SCE was inaccurate, and SSF2's lack of scrolling clouds was accurate in that case, of course that's hardly an accomplishment. Just pointing that out in case anyone's unaware, and thinks the clouds should be scrolling.
    Last edited by Metalwario64; 10-21-2011 at 12:00 PM.

Road Rasher

Response to Metalwario64 (comment #29)

Thank you for pointing that out.

From,
    Josh
    Last edited by Josh; 09-08-2012 at 09:50 AM.

Thread Information