Quantcast

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Streets of Rage

Quote Originally Posted by Assman View Post
    The way I do it is to spend most of the time walking away from them and hitting them with B+C as they close in. It's cheap and tedious, but it works. I never came up with a better strategy than that.
    yeah, that's the safest way to do it, although I've been timed out a couple of times using this strategy, especially on the last stage. What I try to do is grab one of them just as she lands of a jump kick, then punishing her with 2x hits - vault - suplex.

Fast, timed jabs with Adam also works reasonable well if you can't make it in time to grab one of them, but it deals minimum damage.

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

Yeah I do it the way Bottino does. There is quite a large window of opportunity to grab the jump kicking one. What you have to be careful of is that during recovery from the suplex you may be open to a backdrop from her mate.

Thanks, people. I'll try your strategies and see if I can do it at last.

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by Bones Justice View Post
    This is my favorite of the series, one of my favorite of the genre. It's awesome! Lots of enemies, great controls, great two player game with team-up moves. I will never forget our first confrontation with the final boss, really clever.
    It is. Whoever gave this a 6 when this deserves an 8 or a 9 is not a good reviewer IMO fantastic game

6/10?!?!?!?!

So, according to the reviews on this site, SoR1 is...

A tiny nudge more "enjoyable" than Techno Cop, Mazin Saga, Growl, Incredible Hulk, Dracula, SM: Separation Anxiety & Animated Series, The Tick, Cliffhanger, The Lawnmower Man, DJ Boy, Last Battle, and Double Dragon 3

About as "good" as Superman, Earnest Evans, Double Dragon, Valis, Cyborg Justice, Shadow Blasters, and King of the Monsters

Worse than TMNT:HH, Splatterhouse 2, The Terminator, Batman Returns, Battletoads, X-Men, Spider-Man/X-Men, Pit-Fighter, and King of the Monsters 2

And substantially worse of a beat em' up than The Punisher, and Final Fight CD; and dramatically less fun of a game than Super Thunder Blade.

I realize that the reviews were written by many different volunteer reviewers over the course of many years, but it is absolutely jarring to read that The Tick scored a 5, and then read that SoR1 scored only a tiny bit better at 6. Having played many of these games over past 28 years, It feels completely dishonest to suggest to a newcomer - reading up about these games for the first time on a premier site on the subject - that SOR1 and The Tick are in the same ballpark, and that The Punisher is head-and-shoulders a much better game in the genre.

It's a true rarity that I give much thought to a review score, but SoR1 is as essential a title in the genre as Final Fight (and more fun, IMO). It's just completely bizarre to me that Double Dragon and SoR1 reviewed comparably on this site - both scored a 6. I've played both, and the difference in quality couldn't be further apart. SoR1 is a vastly better game, and you'd have to seek out the strangest non-conformist gaming preferences out there to argue it. In other words, you'd have to be crazy.

Scoring SoR1 an 8, and Double Dragon a 4 would be much closer to the truth, because there's no way that they're comparable. I'd certainly never irresponsibly suggest them to a noob as a flip of the coin, one-is-as-good-as-the-other kind of option. If you want to play a very good beat em' up, buy SoR1. If you want to play one of the best beat em' ups anywhere, buy SoR2. If you want to play a lousy port of a dated game that has some collector value, buy Double Dragon.

Games like Punisher, TMNT:HH, and Splatterhouse 2 are lesser games I'd recommend overpaying for once I've heard the magic words "I already have SoR 1-3". I wouldn't even suggest Double Dragon, or The Tick, or just about any of the other games that scored comparably to SoR1 on this site. None of them are nearly as essential as SoR1, and are guilty pleasures at best.
    Last edited by Splatterhouse5; 07-03-2018 at 05:55 PM.

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

I know the sequal is better all round in terms of gameplay, and I absolutely love it, but this game has the edge in many ways for me - it just feels right. The graphics are less varied than the followup but they are all 'streets' which fits the vibe more nicely.

It feels gritty and dirty, whereas the second outing has a more sci fi / adventurey vibe going on with its own charm. If the first game kept its mood and tone but looked (technically and artistically, but not aesthetically) and played like the second we'd have sheer perfection in my book.

Music is just ace for both, I'm not too sure I could choose an OST.

Master of Shinobi

SoR 1 has small-ish sprites for a 16-bit beat them up. Also lacks some more frames of animation due to de 4 MEGA POWER constraint. SoR 2 went up to 16 MEGA POWER in what is one if not the biggest rom space jump on any series, and it shows. Not that SoR 1 isn't a top tier game, but I can think of a few games that look better while keeping it under 4 MEG (they won't play better, though). Still, it feels like an enhanced 8-bit game purely on the graphical aspect.

Like a 12-bit game or something
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cartridge sizes @ Top 5 @ Top 250 (controversial) @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150) @ best European

Still, Team Shinobi capitalized on the small sprites by pushing around eleven or twelve on-screen on the higher difficulties. It's why SOR1 is still very much worth playing today even in light of the memory-heavy sequels.

Actually one of it's biggest technical compromises is the 30fps IMO.

Wildside Expert

I always liked SoR1, but I've come to even prefer it over SoR2 when I got back into beat-'em-ups more seriously a few years ago. It's much more intense, with more aggressive enemies, and as overdrone mentioned above, you can have a lot of enemies on screen, which is quite rare in console beat-'em-ups (there are SNES beat-'em-ups that limit them to 2 or 3, which is just boring). The music and nighttime city atmosphere are great, and I like the feel of the fighting - the way foes double over when you punch them and fly away with a scream when you finish them. To me it's one of the best games of its genre. It seems to me that some people tend to ignore or dismiss it because of a)technological reasons (ie the sprites are smaller than SoR2's, etc.), or b) it presents a decent challenge, and beat-'em-ups aren't allowed to be hard for some reason. And yet it's easier than most of the harder side-scrollers on the Genesis (Revenge of Shinobi, etc.), which are themselves easier than most of the harder shmups (Undeadline or whatever).

Looking at the list of games Splatterhouse quote as having the same score, I'd say Shadow Blasters also deserves better - it's a decent game with some clever ideas, and the original Japanese version is slightly better as it's not as stupidly easy. Way above trash like Valis, Cyborg Justice, or Earnest Evans, which is entirely broken, but not quite on SoR1's level. SoR3 also tends to get underrated - finally everyone can run, you can use special moves without penalty thanks to the gauge and the evasive roll is actually very useful during boss battles. Only problem is there's a few pacing issues, with two overlong levels.

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by Jules Walter View Post
    I always liked SoR1, but I've come to even prefer it over SoR2 when I got back into beat-'em-ups more seriously a few years ago. It's much more intense, with more aggressive enemies, and as overdrone mentioned above, you can have a lot of enemies on screen, which is quite rare in console beat-'em-ups (there are SNES beat-'em-ups that limit them to 2 or 3, which is just boring). The music and nighttime city atmosphere are great, and I like the feel of the fighting - the way foes double over when you punch them and fly away with a scream when you finish them. To me it's one of the best games of its genre. It seems to me that some people tend to ignore or dismiss it because of a)technological reasons (ie the sprites are smaller than SoR2's, etc.), or b) it presents a decent challenge, and beat-'em-ups aren't allowed to be hard for some reason. And yet it's easier than most of the harder side-scrollers on the Genesis (Revenge of Shinobi, etc.), which are themselves easier than most of the harder shmups (Undeadline or whatever).

Looking at the list of games Splatterhouse quote as having the same score, I'd say Shadow Blasters also deserves better - it's a decent game with some clever ideas, and the original Japanese version is slightly better as it's not as stupidly easy. Way above trash like Valis, Cyborg Justice, or Earnest Evans, which is entirely broken, but not quite on SoR1's level. SoR3 also tends to get underrated - finally everyone can run, you can use special moves without penalty thanks to the gauge and the evasive roll is actually very useful during boss battles. Only problem is there's a few pacing issues, with two overlong levels.

BTW Valis and Valis III is not trash

Wildside Expert

The more games you enjoy, the better, but personally I've tried every single Valis game, on Genesis, Turbo CD and SNES, and they all seem completely mediocre to me. Valis 1 Gen has some great music (that first track is a monster) and it's generally pretty, but it's just painfully slow when the main strength of Genesis action games is that they're usually fast and intense, the level design is bland and boring (this applies to the whole series), and the boss battles are weird and messy. Telenet made cool games on occasion, but they really struggled with side-scrollers. The one that's kind of good is El Viento, and even that is pretty broken in spots.

Road Rasher

The more games you enjoy, the better, but personally I've tried every single Valis game, on Genesis, Turbo CD and SNES, and they all seem completely mediocre to me. Valis 1 Gen has some great music (that first track is a monster) and it's generally pretty, but it's just painfully slow when the main strength of Genesis action games is that they're usually fast and intense, the level design is bland and boring (this applies to the whole series), and the boss battles are weird and messy. Telenet made cool games on occasion, but they really struggled with side-scrollers. The one that's kind of good is El Viento, and even that is pretty broken in spots.
    why is an all time classic like el viento broken?

Wildside Expert

...in spots. Is it possible at all not to get hit by those motorcycles and cars full of foes in the first levels? They seem to move too fast and take too much damage for that. Or those flying foes that come in packs in the last stage? A lot of the boss fights are just firing non-stop while just kind of dodging what you can because it doesn't seem feasible to avoid all the attacks, anyway (it might technically be, but even in the longplays on youtube they take cheap damage). When you have to pull a series of jumps through those spinning windmill-type platforms in level 2, the physics are super weird. That's probably why you don't die when you fall off there - they realized it didn't quite work and let you try as often as you like as a quick fix. There's lots of little things like that. It's a fun game, it's pretty good, but the design is far from tight. If you go back and read interviews with people who worked at Telenet, they knew their games weren't polished. They were a B to C tier company trying to put out as many games as an A company, so they were all rushed in some way (except like... Exile, and maybe a few other RPGs).

...in spots. Is it possible at all not to get hit by those motorcycles and cars full of foes in the first levels? They seem to move too fast and take too much damage for that. Or those flying foes that come in packs in the last stage?
    Fuck those flying things that come in packs in the last stage For all of El Viento's slight jank/lack of polish (some of which I found endearing), I still felt it was a solid action side-scroller until I reached that final level. Need to go back and finally beat it, actually.

On Topic: According to Sega 16 reviews, Magic Girl (an unlicensed Chinese STG) is a better game than Streets of Rage

So yeah.
    Last edited by OverDrone; 10-25-2018 at 12:44 PM.

Thread Information