Quantcast

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Final Fight CD

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

Fatal Fury Special gets trashed for its colors in comparison to the Arcade Card PCE-CD version, I wasn't aware of significant animation problems. Sengoku is an interesting one, I don't own it but a buddy of mine does. I thought he had a video, but he just has a review. While I was looking for the video I found the comparison below though, I'll have to watch it later.

"... If Sony reduced the price of the Playstation, Sega would have to follow suit in order to stay competitive, but Saturn's high manufacturing cost would then translate into huge losses for the company." p170 Revolutionaries at Sony.

"We ... put Sega out of the hardware business ..." Peter Dille senior vice president of marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

I haven't played the Neo Geo or Mega-CD versions of Sengoku, but have always thought that the Mega-CD version is an impressive port judging by videos. The animation looks good on its own.

Bring on the noise! WCPO Agent Bones Justice's Avatar

I can't remember if I've ever finished Final Fight CD by myself. We've played it through many times in the two-player mode. Some of the bosses are very tough. It's a great game!
    Slayer-1: "Minus 210 degrees...minus 215...minus 220. Why are you still standing?"

Bones: "My will...will not die."

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ-iQfP3mFs

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

@Agosthinobaroners:

Well maybe I'm underestimating the capabilities of the Sega CD. I did put disclaimers in my posts that point to this being a speculative observation (that the machine would struggle with a decent port of Vendetta).

The Super Scaler comparison I thought was a bit redundant since with that you're talking about a board with dedicated hardware to provide zoom effects, and I would have thought that would have little to do with memory available to store sprite animation.

You are correct in saying that later hardware doesn't necessarily equate to more power, but we are talking about games that are of the same genre and use the same 2D Raster display method - I don't know for sure, does anyone know what board Vendetta runs on? By looking at the specs it would be easier to put the argument into context.

No ones basing the ability for the Sega CD to run a nice port of Vendetta off the performance of FFS man.

And this thread is going somewhere because I'm new here and was enjoying talking about two of my favourite beat 'em 'ups with a bunch of like minded people

Nice to meet you, by the way.
    Last edited by OverDrone; 07-18-2012 at 02:46 AM.

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

I was just looking at the Vendetta ROM and noticed that it was only a 6.31MB game. The files are divided up into five 1024KB files, two 512KB files, one 64KB file and one 256KB file. The game has six levels from what I can tell.

Provided the boss fights were loaded from the CD briefly and the 1024KB files are level data, I don't see any reason at all why the Sega CD couldn't handle a very respectable adaptation of Vendetta.
    "... If Sony reduced the price of the Playstation, Sega would have to follow suit in order to stay competitive, but Saturn's high manufacturing cost would then translate into huge losses for the company." p170 Revolutionaries at Sony.

"We ... put Sega out of the hardware business ..." Peter Dille senior vice president of marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment

Not only the best version of FF but my fav SegaCd game of all,although i do agree a little with the colors being washed out on the SCD version.I own a Europa-coin kit version of the arcade cabinet but the board has become faulty with jailbars on video-godnabit!

What a classic, i'd love to own a cabinet (though its a nightmare that its not working!?).. I made a wallpaper of this game recently..

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Just got this yesterday in great condition along with a replacement Mega-CD (my old one just stopped reading discs) and it's awesome! I've got what I'm assuming is an actual port of the original arcade game as part of the Capcom Classics Collection on my PS2 but I actually think this version of Final Fight is better. The intro, the music and the animation in the Mega CD version is excellent and Guy, Cody and Haggar really control well. I get the point about this version perhaps not being as colourful as other ports but then the original arcade game wasn't exactly vibrant either. It was meant to look as grimy and as dirty as the back streets you were fighting in. This is now my favourite version of Final Fight and I'm so glad I finally got this title.

For great justice! Outrunner Tor Landeel's Avatar

I always pull the scart lead and connect my composhit cable to play final fight CD, and fire up colour saturation.
    This way it really looks nice and a less bit yellowish.
    ***** トル・ランディール ******
    Cadash Arcade Colors hack:
    https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3905/
    Out Run Arcade Colors hack:
    https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3940/

The reason to own a Mega CD. A great pity there wasn't a couple more arcade belt-scrollers ported to the machine, I think I heard murmurings of Captain Commando CD somewhere. Knights of the Round would have been nice to replace the SNES version.

Regarding Final Fight CD's difficulty compared to the arcade (and presumably the X68000 version), I'm assuming they jacked up damage or otherwise tinkered with the balance to compensate for the max 4 enemies on-screen limit? Or is this version just easier? It's been a while since I sold my PS2 Capcom Collection off.

Master of Shinobi midnightrider's Avatar

I tried this one a little while back. Survival mode was a great idea. I kind of wish all beat 'em ups had it. Something where you just want to kick some ass for a while, without playing through a 1.5-2 hour game.

The issue with this series is how useless they made the weapons. Sega got it right in one go. Some enemy takes 8 strikes to beat, just 2 baseball bat swings will do 'em in. SoR 2, heaven help anyone dumb enough to get near Max as he's wielding a pipe/katana. This series, you poke at enemies, the weapons do little damage, and they drop. You're so much better off relying on strike combos. Most of the time the same can be of the SoR series as well, but the weapons at least feel halfway useful if you are going to bother picking them up.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightrider View Post
    The issue with this series is how useless they made the weapons. Sega got it right in one go. Some enemy takes 8 strikes to beat, just 2 baseball bat swings will do 'em in. SoR 2, heaven help anyone dumb enough to get near Max as he's wielding a pipe/katana. This series, you poke at enemies, the weapons do little damage, and they drop. You're so much better off relying on strike combos. Most of the time the same can be of the SoR series as well, but the weapons at least feel halfway useful if you are going to bother picking them up.
    Well I have to disagree there. You never gone on a stabbing spree with Cody? It's most definitely worth it and can make enemy management a lot easier.
    Same for the pipe and katana, get all the baddies on one side and synch their wake up with each strike. It's not always tactically feasible to use the combos.

SOR2 has a similar feel with it's own extended weapon killing sprees, with the difference being you aren't punished as badly if you screw up timing/placement. Although that's the whole game in a nutshell compared to Final Fight really.

Pleased to see the turn around punch is viable in this version, the game becomes a lot more manageable once you get familiar with it.

Master of Shinobi midnightrider's Avatar

That's just it though, you can do the same thing, at a much faster pace, with the strike combo's. Underestimate them at your own risk.

Of course it's possible I've gotten used to doing it my way, and you've gotten used to doing it yours, and both can potentially work out, but I really can't stand Final Fight's weapons. Truthfully, I'm mainly talking about the SNES exclusive sequels on this.

Outrunner

I absolutely love this port and have since the day I got it when it was first released. My only complaint would be that they neglected to use the backup RAM to save your high scores in time attack mode. I friggin' love that thing! FF has such a fast paced combat system and it is setup so crowd control is a breeze, it just lends itself so naturally to a time attack mode moreso than any other beat 'em up (save SORR). Having some new official splash screens was a nice touch and even though they were designed years afterwards (and are colorful) the new exclusive time attack backgrounds mesh perfectly with the existing ones.

I hated the cartoony angle the art direction took on both the SNES sequels and I appreciate them keeping the more realistic, gritty look of FF for these new stages.

The Japanese Mega CD version was one of the first games I ever bought for a system that I didn't own nor had any way to play. I probably had it for 4-5 years and finally got to play it on my modded Xbox but it just wasn't the same using the shitty Xbox d-pad and thumbtack face buttons. Right when I was searching around for a cheap Mega CD the Mega Cart was released and finally being able to play this uncensored version on my real console made the investment worthwhile. Night Striker, The Ninja Warriors, and Annette Again didn't hurt justifying it's purchase either

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Barone again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoltor View Post
    Japan on the other hand is in real danger, if Japanese men don't start liking to play with their woman, more then them selves, experts calculated the Japanese will be extinct within 300 years.

Thread Information