Quantcast

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Final Fight CD

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Azathoth View Post
    I don't see how anyone couldn't notice it.

After striking with a weapon, the weapon sprite will return to it's position where it's held in a standing animation (shoulder level) while the character's arm is still extended in front of him in a striking motion. Not a once in a blue moon glitch, but a consistent animation error that happens every time with every character.
    Okay, that is different to me than lag. I think the animation "glitch" you are describing is more of an interlacing effect than an actual glitch, exacerbated by emulation and progressive scan TVs more than anything original to the game.

Check it out on real hardware (deinterlaced without losing frames) starting at 5:02
    "... If Sony reduced the price of the Playstation, Sega would have to follow suit in order to stay competitive, but Saturn's high manufacturing cost would then translate into huge losses for the company." p170 Revolutionaries at Sony.

"We ... put Sega out of the hardware business ..." Peter Dille senior vice president of marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment

Outrunner

I've never played Final Fight on anything but my model 2 and a 20 year old CRT. The animation error is present; you will notice it if you are a fan of FF.

I must not be a fan of Final Fight then. I do see what you are talking about, but we're talking about 1/60th of a second here.
    "... If Sony reduced the price of the Playstation, Sega would have to follow suit in order to stay competitive, but Saturn's high manufacturing cost would then translate into huge losses for the company." p170 Revolutionaries at Sony.

"We ... put Sega out of the hardware business ..." Peter Dille senior vice president of marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment

Japanese Sonic CD FTW!!! Master of Shinobi Ecco's Avatar

I love Final Fight CD and never noticed the glitch. I will have to double check; I'm curious now...

I played it today, and that weapon glitch is quite apparent. I don't know how anyone can miss that.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Watch your back, shoot straight, and never cut a deal with the dragon. (from Shadowrun)

I just frame advanced the original video. The weapons appear apart from the character sprite for one interlaced frame, that is lines A or B, most of the time. Very occasionally it is two frames. The SNES game doesn't have the full windup animation for the knife stab, so it looks like the knife is just part of the sprite's standing animation rather than its own sprite. They definitely made the knife its own sprite in the Sega CD game.

Glad I brought it to others' attention. I always feel like it throws me off slightly when using weapons.

Still, its a relatively minor flaw in what's one of the best (NOT the best) home ports of the game.

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

Now that's something I didn't know. What else are these guys responsible for?

They should be quite proud of their work with FFCD. I've picked up the NTSCJ version recently after owning the PAL one on release back in '93 and whilst not perfect, it's still an awesome conversion. The washed out colour is exaggerated by people, it looks better than the Super Fami version and the sprites are huge on screen. All the arcade sounds are here, and I don't need to remind people of how great the soundtrack is.

It's a lot harder than the Bare Knuckle games too. The best I've done is get halfway through the last stage on default settings using the five credits allocated. For comparison, I've 1CCd all the BK series on Normal and Hard settings.

It doesn't help that you only get 2 lives by default on Final Fight either.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OverDrone View Post
    Now that's something I didn't know. What else are these guys responsible for?

They should be quite proud of their work with FFCD. I've picked up the NTSCJ version recently after owning the PAL one on release back in '93 and whilst not perfect, it's still an awesome conversion. The washed out colour is exaggerated by people, it looks better than the Super Fami version and the sprites are huge on screen. All the arcade sounds are here, and I don't need to remind people of how great the soundtrack is.

It's a lot harder than the Bare Knuckle games too. The best I've done is get halfway through the last stage on default settings using the five credits allocated. For comparison, I've 1CCd all the BK series on Normal and Hard settings.

It doesn't help that you only get 2 lives by default on Final Fight either.
    I didn't think that the washed out color was so bad until I play it using s-video. It's still a great looking and impressive game, but the color is poor by Genesis standards (not just 16-bit standards). The important thing is the artwork, which translated better overall than the SNES version (which also looks nice).

I'm using composite so I guess the problem is minimized on my display.

That's right though, the artwork is nicely ported over for MCD. This is the sort of thing the MCD needed back in the day, ports of arcade games that would be out of reach of the stock Genny (at least without a high meg cart, and even then, I get the feeling that the processor inside the MCD helps to keep slowdown to a minimum here with the large sprites on-screen).

Not a library of FMV shit.

Come to think of it, a port of Vendetta by Konami would have been wild (although possibly out of reach even for MCD)

Quote Originally Posted by OverDrone View Post

Come to think of it, a port of Vendetta by Konami would have been wild (although possibly out of reach even for MCD)

Seems like the Sega CD could easily do a game like this?

I don't see anything there that the Sega CD couldn't do for sure. I mean the colors would be toned down a bit and a good artist would be needed to make it look right still, but aside from that it should have been on the Sega CD.

Quote Originally Posted by sheath View Post
    I don't see anything there that the Sega CD couldn't do for sure. I mean the colors would be toned down a bit and a good artist would be needed to make it look right still, but aside from that it should have been on the Sega CD.
    Well, I was suggesting the game might be a struggle to port because of all the animation data.

Final Fight is a port of a 1989 CPS1 title. Vendetta is from '91, and just from playing it BITD and more recently on Emulators, there would seem to be a good bit more animation on all the enemies, and more variety of sprites etc. than FF. FF has great animation on the playable characters, but not some much on the baddies. Same with weapon animations.
    I'm not a technical person but I understand the Sega CD has issues with limited RAM for sprite data and such?

Definitely not saying it couldn't be done, although these days it seems just about anything is possible.

I say someone with the skills should try for a 32 Meg cart port. After all it never did get a home version, and it's an awesome scrolling beat 'em up that needs to be on Mega Drive.

I can't think of any Sega CD games that suffered in animation quality in comparison to their Arcade counterparts. Supposedly Samurai Shodown CD lost the judge because of memory limitation, but I honestly think it was just poorly optimized or they didn't want to find the extra colors for the judge and take away from the main characters looking almost identical to the original sprites. Final Fight is a ground up rewrite for the Sega CD, that is more or less what I would expect of a Vendetta adaptation as well. Yeah, I doubt every random enemy animation would have made it in, but 768KB of RAM wasn't exactly small relatively speaking.

Quote Originally Posted by sheath View Post
    I can't think of any Sega CD games that suffered in animation quality in comparison to their Arcade counterparts.
    Fatal fury Special? Sengoku? I haven't played these versions yet but I'm not hearing good things about the animation cuts on them. As for the other arcade ports, well... I'm struggling to even think of many more arcade ports.

I'm not suggesting those games should be used as a benchmark though, as their quality as ports is questionable anyway.

Thread Information