Quantcast

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Final Fight CD

Wildside Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    I remember when the SNES version of Final Fight hit the streets. It sold like hot cakes and though it had been eagerly anticipated, many were returned the same day. No Guy? No two player mode? Levels missing and names changed? Flicker and slowdown all over the place? Many of my friends swore a Sicilian curse at Capcom that day and were bitter over it for a long time. Never having an arcade version near me for comparison, for a long time I couldn't see what all the controversy was about, until I played the Sega CD version.
    I feel that the SNES version was an excellent port for its time. Most of the bits and pieces missing could have been resolved by using a 16Mbit cartridge, however since that wasn't available at the time I guess it was a decision of whether to bring the game out in as good form as was reasonably possible at the time given the storage limitations or hold off awaiting for larger cart sizes to become more widespread / cheaper, probably to the dismay of fans who were eagerly awaiting the game and Nintendo, for whom this was one of the most important early SNES franchise titles.
    One point that should have been mentioned, but so far has been omitted is that the SNES version featured a limit on the number of opponents on screen. Notice that the maximum you have is only 3 opponents - compare that to the arcade or to games like Streets of Rage with countless enemies on screen. Never played the Mega CD version but would imagine it to be closer to the arcade with regard to number of on screen sprites, adding to a more hectic / survival arcade experience. And even with the 3 opponents on screen you still had some slowdown (canít really recall the flicker Ė if it was there it wasnít too visible IMO). I guess that this was another example of the limited processing power of the SNES. For this reason somehow I am not too sure whether the increased cart memory would resolve the missing two player option given that you would probably need to almost double the amount of sprites on screen for the game to pose any real challenge (i.e. 2 players and at least 5-6 opponents on screen).
    Mega Drive 1 Pal G ('High Definition Graphics - Stereo Sound' model / VA4 / no-TMSS)
    Mods: switchable 50 & 60hz | switchable ENG & JAP | line out audio | enlarged cartridge slot

For great justice! Outrunner Tor Landeel's Avatar

How can you rate "excellent" a port which above all omits the 2 player mode? It's still a decent port, but excellent...no.
    At least, Capcom could have done a perfect port instead of publishing a useless Guy version.

While we're at it, do anybody know if there's a way to increase the Credits in the SEGA CD version? I always get to the last stage and fail miserably, I need a boost
    ***** トル・ランディール ******
    Cadash Arcade Colors hack:
    https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3905/
    Out Run Arcade Colors hack:
    https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3940/

Wildside Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Tor Landeel View Post
    How can you rate "excellent" a port which above all omits the 2 player mode? It's still a decent port, but excellent...no.
    At least, Capcom could have done a perfect port instead of publishing a useless Guy version.
    I would e.g. also regard the MegaDrive / Genesis port of Mercs as excellent, the same for UN Squadron on SNES and both were missing a two player option. It really depends on personal preference / situation - the magnitude of this omission isn't likely to be that big a deal for solo gamers. At least they didn't skip the two player functionality on SF2
    Agree with you that the Guy version was useless - they should have held back another year or so and published a 'special edition' including all levels, characters, two player mode etc. and maybe some hidden goodies also.
    Mega Drive 1 Pal G ('High Definition Graphics - Stereo Sound' model / VA4 / no-TMSS)
    Mods: switchable 50 & 60hz | switchable ENG & JAP | line out audio | enlarged cartridge slot

Could final fight be also made on a genesis cartridge ? Does the mega cd do anything on the game besides the music ?
    1 XB360, 1 md2, 1 mcd2, 1 snes, 1 ms adapter, 1 Nes, 2Gamegears (for playing sor co op)
    http://soundcloud.com/djtwok

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by djtwok View Post
    Could final fight be also made on a genesis cartridge ? Does the mega cd do anything on the game besides the music ?
    A better version could be made for (the right sized) cartridge. Streets of Rage II/III is all you need to know about the minimum that the Mega Drive can do for a beat 'em up.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Double post deleted
    Check out my review channel at GameFaqs here. Then feel free to leave feedback and comment here

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    A better version could be made for (the right sized) cartridge. Streets of Rage II/III is all you need to know about the minimum that the Mega Drive can do for a beat 'em up.
    You mean a stripped down version could be released on cartridge. Missing many features for space limitations and the CD soundtrack as well as the bad voice acting! Maybe if you get a really big cartridge but i think it would defeat the charm of the game.
    Check out my review channel at GameFaqs here. Then feel free to leave feedback and comment here

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vintagegamecrazy View Post
    You mean a stripped down version could be released on cartridge. Missing many features for space limitations and the CD soundtrack as well as the bad voice acting! Maybe if you get a really big cartridge but i think it would defeat the charm of the game.
    I'd much prefer Mega Drive chiptunes and I'd never include cinematics until the actual game content felt like nothing important was missing.

The arcade original doesn't have voice acting and isn't that huge. CD games aren't actually huge in size. A 16 meg cart version with the polish missing in the CD version would have been considered arcade perfect at the time. 12 megs would probably be plenty, remember that Streets of Rage III and Final Fight III got published on 24 meg carts.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    I'd much prefer Mega Drive chiptunes and I'd never include cinematics until the actual game content felt like nothing important was missing.

The arcade original doesn't have voice acting and isn't that huge. CD games aren't actually huge in size. A 16 meg cart version with the polish missing in the CD version would have been considered arcade perfect at the time. 12 megs would probably be plenty, remember that Streets of Rage III and Final Fight III got published on 24 meg carts.
    Final Fight made full use of the Mega CD soundchip and it really sounds brilliant (sound effects wise ) I also much rather the CD remixed tunes to the chip music .

I only wished SEGA made a CD version of Strider on the Mega CD at the time
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Outrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    Final Fight made full use of the Mega CD soundchip and it really sounds brilliant (sound effects wise ) I also much rather the CD remixed tunes to the chip music .

I only wished SEGA made a CD version of Strider on the Mega CD at the time
    Or just more CPS games....!

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwolf View Post
    Or just more CPS games....!
    But Strider was so bloody Epic . Would have loved to had that on the Mega CD with remixed music , arcade perfect sound effects and all the Arcades speech and introductions .

Even to this day , The Mega Drive version is incredible.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Outrunner

But Strider was so bloody Epic . Would have loved to had that on the Mega CD with remixed music , arcade perfect sound effects and all the Arcades speech and introductions .

Even to this day , The Mega Drive version is incredible.
    Yeah, I won`t say no for a Strider CD, but having a very good cart version... Final Fight was so good, I wonder how other CPS games would like. For me? King of Dragons! Hell, with a remixed arcade music? Oh my.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwolf View Post
    Yeah, I won`t say no for a Strider CD, but having a very good cart version... Final Fight was so good, I wonder how other CPS games would like. For me? King of Dragons! Hell, with a remixed arcade music? Oh my.
    Yeah, we should have more. Sad given SEGA had such a great CP2 engine for the Mega CD.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert

Yeah, we should have more. Sad given SEGA had such a great CP2 engine for the Mega CD.
    It didn't have a 'CP2 engine' for the MegaCD. That's not a thing haha

Well I did mean CP 1 . But given the SEGA CS team made such a wonderful game engine for the MEGA CD port of FF. It's a shame SEGA didn't look to reuse it for other CP1 Mega CD ports .

Still this is SEGA, The CS Sega Rally engine should have been used for the Manx TT and Touring Car Saturn ports and the AM#2 VC II engine for the House of the Dead Saturn port.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Thread Information