Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lethal Enforcers (Sega CD)

Wildside Expert

Quote Originally Posted by JumpingRyle View Post
    I feel really sorry for this reviewer. He seems really into the game, yet he's using the controller to play!! I hope he's since been able to buy a Justifier...
    Looking into getting the game+Justifier package myself, since at the moment I have only been able to test it out via an Everdrive with an arcade stick.
    Still, when compared to the SNES version my comments are:
    + overall plays more like the arcade
    + no censorship - correct stage names, blood / violence etc.
    + additional annimation on all opponenets when they are shot (in the SNES version they just flash and disapear)
    + / - no stage select increases challenge but is a pain when you want to just kill a few minutes on a given stage but instead have to do tchem all in order
    - less colour
    - less breakable background objects
    - inferior sound effects
    Overall despite some shortcomings, I still prefer the Mega Drive version.
    Mega Drive 1 Pal G ('High Definition Graphics - Stereo Sound' model / VA4 / no-TMSS)
    Mods: switchable 50 & 60hz | switchable ENG & JAP | line out audio | enlarged cartridge slot

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lastcallhall View Post
    You can make a 2nd player gun out of a 1st player gun. It involves soldering three wires and getting a specific phone cord to connect the two.
    Thanks for that tip. I may try it sometime but as I'm not very good at technical stuff I may just end up saving up for the pink gun.

Wildside Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Drive Bowlsey View Post
    Thanks for that tip. I may try it sometime but as I'm not very good at technical stuff I may just end up saving up for the pink gun.
    This is what I thought some time ago also, but get the proper tools and take your time watching some YT videos etc. and I am sure you will do just fine.
    Mega Drive is pretty easy to mod, start off with some basic mods - stuff like a 50/60hz switch is not too hard and makes a world of difference when playing on our glorious PAL consoles
    Mega Drive 1 Pal G ('High Definition Graphics - Stereo Sound' model / VA4 / no-TMSS)
    Mods: switchable 50 & 60hz | switchable ENG & JAP | line out audio | enlarged cartridge slot

Just got the player two pink Justifier gun recently and it really brings the arcade experience to life when two of you are toting guns and blowing away the digitised bad guys to the excellent soundtrack. It's how this awesome arcade shoot-em-up on the Mega CD was always meant to be played.

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

Cool, I've been meaning to pick up LE again on cart but maybe I should seek out the disc version this time round.

Are the loads tolerable compared to the cart at least?

Quote Originally Posted by OverDrone View Post
    Cool, I've been meaning to pick up LE again on cart but maybe I should seek out the disc version this time round.

Are the loads tolerable compared to the cart at least?
    The loading times are very good on the CD version and, for the quality of the game you get, are hardly noticeable at all. When taking the awesome soundtrack, effects and extra frames of animation into account when compared to the cart ports, Lethal Enforcers on the Mega CD is almost arcade perfect and is THE definitive version.

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

Right, I didn't know the CD version had extra animation frames.

It's on my list as of now instead of the cart.

Another great read

Wildside Expert

The loading times are very good on the CD version and, for the quality of the game you get, are hardly noticeable at all. When taking the awesome soundtrack, effects and extra frames of animation into account when compared to the cart ports, Lethal Enforcers on the Mega CD is almost arcade perfect and is THE definitive version.
    Not sure about the additional frames of animation of the Mega CD version but one think is certain- both the Mega Drive / Mega CD versions are too crippled in terms of graphics (photorealistic graphics with 64 colours ) to put them in the same sentence as 'arcade perfect'.
    THey are still good efforts and as mentioned have some advantages over the SNES port but anybody looking to best replicate the experience on a home console is probably best advised to get the Lethal Enforcers I / II double bill on Playstation.

Quote Originally Posted by MtothaJ View Post
    Not sure about the additional frames of animation of the Mega CD version but one think is certain- both the Mega Drive / Mega CD versions are too crippled in terms of graphics (photorealistic graphics with 64 colours ) to put them in the same sentence as 'arcade perfect'.
    THey are still good efforts and as mentioned have some advantages over the SNES port but anybody looking to best replicate the experience on a home console is probably best advised to get the Lethal Enforcers I / II double bill on Playstation.
    There is definitely extra frames of animation on the bad guys when you shoot them compared to the cart versions on SNES and Mega Drive.

I'm aware of the Lethal Enforcers double bill that Konami released on the PS1 but I have heard that it suffers from a ridiculously high difficulty level for whatever reason and, trust me, I find the Lethal Enforcers games on the Mega CD difficult enough!

Hero of Algol

There is definitely extra frames of animation on the bad guys when you shoot them compared to the cart versions on SNES and Mega Drive.
    Graphically speaking the Mega CD version is identical to the Mega Drive one. There's no extra frames of animation - maybe the Mega CD version runs a bit faster but the frames are the same. The SNES version is missing all the death frames though.

Wildside Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    Graphically speaking the Mega CD version is identical to the Mega Drive one. There's no extra frames of animation - maybe the Mega CD version runs a bit faster but the frames are the same. The SNES version is missing all the death frames though.
    +1
    I played the arcade version on Mame yesterday just to have it fresh in my mind and unfortunately the Mega Drive / Mega CD versions are far from arcade perfect - mainly its the crude graphics but also the inferior sound effects of the Mega Drive version (Mega CD is better in this regard) and lack of various subtle details e.g. bullet holes in the scenary, breakable objects etc. SNES version owns in terms of graphics and sound but looses out in terms of overall feel and censorship (lack of death frames, missing blood, changed bits and pieces as result of censorship etc.) So another case of SNES version looking and sounding better but Mega Drive actually playing better.

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    Ah I stand corrected then. I must've been remembering the SNES version.

Played through this again last night and Jesus the helicopter gunship boss at the end of level five is tough! My trigger finger was so sore as I desperately shot the missiles out of the sky before they could hit me! I bloody love this game and dust off my Justifier light gun quite regularly to get some target practice in. I have an average accuracy rating of 85% in each level so I'm a pretty good shot. Despite this game being slightly graphically weaker than it's sequel, Lethal Enforcers II: Gunfighters (less animation and breakable objects) I prefer playing the original for it's modern setting and the fact that the boss battles are nicely balanced in terms of how many shots they take to kill. The amount of shots needed to take out the bosses in the second game is fucking crazy even with two players blasting away and by stage two your trigger finger is already starting to cramp up!

Nameless One

I enjoy this game but I have similar issues as the reviewer for the cart version whereas for some reason the enemies on the right edge of the screen are really difficult to hit. I've tried two different justifiers and have the same problem. Wonder if it's anything to do with the PAL adaption?

Another annoyance is when you have hit a innocent bystander you might as well tool up as the game makes you replay the level. Insane levels of memorisation are required.

So a good game for a quick blast, but too many annoyances for long term enjoyment. 7/10
    The soundtrack on the CD version is ace though.

Thread Information