Quantcast

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: A few Game Gear questions

Creator of the Mega Amp Raging in the Streets Ace's Avatar

Default A few Game Gear questions

I'm thinking of getting myself a Game Gear, though I have a few questions before I go out and get one:

1) How do you differentiate a Game Gear that has no BIOS and a Game Gear that has a BIOS(I'd rather have it without, though what does the BIOS do? Same as the MegaDrive's TMSS?)?
    2) Is it a bad idea to get Majesco's Game Gear(I know it's incompatible with the TV Tuner, but I couldn't care less as I won't be watching TV on such a small screen)?
    3) Which Game Gear models are most prone to capacitor problems?
    4) Are the Sonic Game Gear games playable on a Master System through a cartridge converter, and if so, do they display any graphical garbage/weird colors(I'm asking this so that I have some Game Gear stuff to play before I actually get one)?
    HATES ATGAMES WITH A PASSION

Mega Amp: An all-new audio circuit for your Sega Genesis/MegaDrive and clones.

Note: If you want to contact me on Skype, identify yourself or your contact request will be rejected.

Master of Shinobi

You can't play Game Gear games on a Master System no matter what, only vice versa (I think the Game Gear has a higher resolution or something)

Quote Originally Posted by Ace View Post
    I'm thinking of getting myself a Game Gear, though I have a few questions before I go out and get one:

1) How do you differentiate a Game Gear that has no BIOS and a Game Gear that has a BIOS(I'd rather have it without, though what does the BIOS do? Same as the MegaDrive's TMSS?)?
    2) Is it a bad idea to get Majesco's Game Gear(I know it's incompatible with the TV Tuner, but I couldn't care less as I won't be watching TV on such a small screen)?
    3) Which Game Gear models are most prone to capacitor problems?
    4) Are the Sonic Game Gear games playable on a Master System through a cartridge converter, and if so, do they display any graphical garbage/weird colors(I'm asking this so that I have some Game Gear stuff to play before I actually get one)?
    1) I can't really answer this but all Game Gear systems and games are region free if that's what you are getting at.
    2) The Majesco version has the best screen of the bunch.
    3) All of them.
    4) Game Gear can play SMS games with an adapter, but GG games can only be played on a GG.
    Ow! My small intestine!

Mastering your Systems Shining Hero TmEE's Avatar

GG games could be played on MD or SMS using homemade adaptor, but you will get greenish image and possible input issues.

First thing you will do with any GG is replacing the caps, all of them will get bad caps, if not now, then somewhat later. SNES will start going bad too at some point, I have had to replace some caps in one of my SNES' already...
    Death To MP3, :3
    Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa "Gnirts test is a shit" New and growing website of total jawusumness !
    If any of my images in my posts no longer work you can find them in "FileDen Dump" on my site ^

Aren't some Game Gear games identical to their Master System counterparts?

By the way, just how hard is it to find a Majesco Game Gear? I haven't seen one, and I can't find any listings for a Majesco Game Gear. Also, is the Majesco Game Gear cheaply made like the Genesis 3?

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    1) I can't really answer this but all Game Gear systems and games are region free if that's what you are getting at.
    What I'm getting at is just the boot screen itself. Does it serve the same purpose as the MegaDrive's TMSS?

Note: If you want to contact me on Skype, identify yourself or your contact request will be rejected.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace View Post
    Aren't some Game Gear games identical to their Master System counterparts?

By the way, just how hard is it to find a Majesco Game Gear? I haven't seen one, and I can't find any listings for a Majesco Game Gear. Also, is the Majesco Game Gear cheaply made like the Genesis 3?

What I'm getting at is just the boot screen itself. Does it serve the same purpose as the MegaDrive's TMSS?
    I've never heard of a GG that was identical to the SMS. The GG has a larger color palette. Both use the same basic architecture and the same main processor. The GG is basically an slightly amped up SMS.

Most people wouldn't know a Majesco GG if it hit them in the head. The name Majesco only appears on the packaging in small lettering on the back of the box. The units themselves are identified by having a black case (instead of grey) a purple start button (instead of blue) and a black and white Game Gear logo on the screen lens (instead of a color logo). The only Majesco identification is in small lettering on the label on the back of the unit. The SEGA name is much more prominent on both the packaging and the units themselves.

They do feel slightly more lightweight than a true Sega unit only because the circuit boards inside are somewhat streamlined. The case is the same casting, just a different color.

The Genesis TMSS is a license checker. I've never seen a GG unit that didn't pop up the license screen when a game is fired up. All GG games will play on all GG units as far as I know.
    Ow! My small intestine!

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    They do feel slightly more lightweight than a true Sega unit only because the circuit boards inside are somewhat streamlined. The case is the same casting, just a different color.
    hmmm, I wonder if the streamlined (if it really is) circuit board would enable longer battery life?

I don't think it was mentioned yet, but the Kids Gear (Japan only) unit has a redesigned casing and a better d-pad.
    The different sized casing makes it difficult to use some peripherals like the Wide Gear.
    The d-pad is much better for playing action games. Too bad the screen still blurs like a mo-fo.

Master of Shinobi

I've got a question actually, is there any other power suplies compatible with the Game Gear, I heard once that you could plug a Mega Drive 2 power supply into a Game Gear but this wasn't true.

As I recall, the Game Gear, Nomad and Genesis 2 all use the same power supply. I don't know if that correlates to the Mega Drive counterparts.
    Ow! My small intestine!

I once tested a Game Gear with a Genesis 2 power supply. If a MegaDrive 2 power supply has that same yellow tip on the barrel with positive center and is rated DC 10V 0.85A, you can use it no problem on the Game Gear.

Master of Shinobi

I think it must just be a region difference then, my Mega Drive 2 power supply doesn't actually even fit into the Game Gear, it's to big. What about the Master system 1? or 2? or the Mega Drive 1? I already have all these consoles and I'd rather not have to buy a new Game Gear plug off Ebay if I don't have to.

Master of Shinobi

I took a risk and plugged my Master System 2 power supply into the Game Gear and thankfully it seems to work fine

There are 2 kinds of GGs and they use 2 different power adaptor connectors... older units use SMS style and newer with boot screen use MD2 style.
    Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa "Gnirts test is a shit" New and growing website of total jawusumness !
    If any of my images in my posts no longer work you can find them in "FileDen Dump" on my site ^

!

FINALLY, a definite answer as to which Game Gears have a BIOS, and which don't.

Though what's the point of the Game Gear's BIOS? Just show the boot screen, or does it serve some special purpose like the MegaDrive's TMSS BIOS?

No, it serves no purpose AFAIK, its just not letting you play the game for some moments. I know there is a way to disable the screen, but I remember no details.

Thread Information