Quantcast

Thread: Spider-Man vs. the Kingpin (Sega CD)

Default Spider-Man vs. the Kingpin (Sega CD)

Spider-Man vs.the Kingpin features the same core gameplay as the Genesis and Game Gear renditions, but the Sega CD version features tons of improvements over the other versions of the game, as it actually makes great use of the CD medium. The addition of a revamped soundtrack, improved graphics and audio, a completely overhauled level progression/game exploration system, a slew of hidden items, and tons of short animated cinemas at certain points in the game that really add to the Spidey experience.

Yeah so I pretty much ignored this game for a while because I was content with the Genesis version. I didnt realize how much was added here from the Genesis version. I thought it was just better music and animated cutscenes but the extra stages and more non linear gameplay really makes a difference. I can live without not being able to take pictures anymore.

will hog your hedges... Raging in the Streets djshok's Avatar

Yeah seriously, not to mention the graphics are way better in this one.

EDIT: The link in Melf's post seems to be dead.
    Ready to print game covers and cart labels: http://www.mediafire.com/?5gm45wyxr3xvv

I think in the battle between Spider Man and Kingpin, it's obvious who won.

In all seriousness, this game was a real diamond in the rough. I too thought the Genesis version was good enough, but man, you get a lot of worthwhile extras for buying this version. I only wish certain other Sega CD ports were this considerate...

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

The Mega Drive version of Spider-Man is one of my favourite all-time games and I love the Mega-CD version just as much. Ok so Spidey can't take photos in the CD version but when you're given better graphics, better sound, great music, a sprawling New York City map to explore and the inclusion of two extra super villains to fight that weren't in the Mega Drive version in the form of The Vulture and Mysterio then you've got one of the greatest Spidey games ever made! In fact the only Spidey game to match this one to my mind was the excellent Spider-Man by Activision and Neversoft which was released on the PS1, N64 and later ported to the Dreamcast.

Is it just me, or has the SegaCD review of this game vanished entirely? I can't seem to find it amongst the other Sega Cd game reviews on this site.
    The funny thing about an oxymoron is, even if you remove the ox, there'll always be a moron. The Question Remains: Y?

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Phantar View Post
    Is it just me, or has the SegaCD review of this game vanished entirely? I can't seem to find it amongst the other Sega Cd game reviews on this site.
    It's in the "A" section, hiding out with a bag of nacho chips and a bottle of Hoegaarden.

So's your old man! Raging in the Streets zetastrike's Avatar

I bought the Sega CD version years ago and love it, so when I was picking up Japanese MD games, I sprung for Spider-Man so I could have it along with my CD and SMS versions. I have to say, it pales in comparison to the SCD or the SMS. The hit detection is so broken it feels like luck when a punch or kick connects. The worst example is the sewer level with those jumping mutants. The soundtrack is pretty high on the totem pole of western made games, for what that's worth. I'm glad I have it, but I don't plan on getting rid of the CD or SMS versions anytime soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon
    Nope. Bloodlines is the problem, not me. I have no trouble with Super Castlevania IV (SNES) and Dracula X: Rondo of Blood (TCD), and have finished both games. Both of those are outstanding games, among the best platformers of the generation. In comparison Bloodlines is third or fourth tier.

No, it's unbiased analysis. The only fanboyism is people who claim that Hyperstone Heist and Bloodlines are actually as good as their SNES counterparts.
    My Collection: http://vgcollect.com/zetastrike

counter of beans Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Cafeman's Avatar

Bump. Wasn't sure where else to put this. I've been playing a lot of Sega CD games the past week. The last two days I've been thoroughly enjoying Spider-Man vs the Kingpin on the Sega CD, which I've owned for 25 years. I have been mapping out where the comic book locations are and I came to a new realization. The comic book locations are not static. They change. If you look at IGN or other sites which list the comic book locations, they contradict one another. At first I thought it was because I was playing on nightmare mode. But nope, the same thing happens on normal mode as well.

For example, when you start a game it seems to randomly pick either turtle pond or Harlem Meer to place a comic book. I can't yet tell if there are two static sets of comic book locations, or if every new game there is a random selection going on with various locations. I haven't seen a pattern yet but I see contradictions. Another example was West Street. No comic book in my game, but IGN has it listed as a yes. Another site called fandom agrees with my findings, no comic book at West Street. And so on.

I enjoyed mapping them out now it seems rather pointless. I want to beat the game on nightmare mode and find all of the 21 comic books, which I have never done. Remember there's a timer in the game so you should have an idea where the comic books are first before trying to accomplish this. I'll probably post a follow-up after sometime.

IMG_0552.jpg
    IMG_0551.jpg
    IMG_0549.jpg

Some pics from the above session.

Quote Originally Posted by Cafeman View Post
    I can't yet tell if there are two static sets of comic book locations, or if every new game there is a random selection going on with various locations. I haven't seen a pattern yet...
    I fully mapped out comics locations for 4 game sessions. My conclusion: any stage can hide a comic book. There is no way to tell where they are, you have to search every selectable city location. Fortunately, the comics are always at the same hidden place within a selected city location. On top of a certain building, or on a tree branch, etc. And you can quit out of a stage once you grabbed a comic and the game lets you keep it. Also some stages can be completed in under a minute.

So, if you want to beat the game on nightmare difficulty and get all the comics, which were the rules for the OG contest, the best way us probably to use the pencil6 password to start the game at Kingpin with a full 24 hours on the clock, then find the comics, then enter the Kingpin level and hope you don't lose to Bullseye, Mary, or Fisk, because it is game over.

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cafeman View Post
    I fully mapped out comics locations for 4 game sessions. My conclusion: any stage can hide a comic book. There is no way to tell where they are, you have to search every selectable city location. Fortunately, the comics are always at the same hidden place within a selected city location. On top of a certain building, or on a tree branch, etc. And you can quit out of a stage once you grabbed a comic and the game lets you keep it. Also some stages can be completed in under a minute.

So, if you want to beat the game on nightmare difficulty and get all the comics, which were the rules for the OG contest, the best way us probably to use the pencil6 password to start the game at Kingpin with a full 24 hours on the clock, then find the comics, then enter the Kingpin level and hope you don't lose to Bullseye, Mary, or Fisk, because it is game over.
    Thanks for the tips! I do love this game.

Thread Information