Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starblade

Default Starblade

Namco, one of the big names in video gaming, developed Starblade for the Sega CD in 1992. Now, most would welcome such a big name coming to the failed Sega CD console, I however, scorn it. This is a terribly boring game, even for the most diehard shooter fan (me). Sadly, there are even worse Sega CD games out there, but itís games like these, games that should be decent, these are the ones that disappoint me the most.
    Last edited by Melf; 08-26-2021 at 10:35 PM.

the arcade game is a marvel with its color vector graphics but making it on a fairly low rez raster screen is lame

just like every port ever of star wars to every system

make sure and visit my album

I don't entirely agree with the review, he stated that Sega, Treasure's and Compile's worst efforts are a million times better than this. If that's true then what do you say about Sega's work on Arcade Classics?
    Check out my review channel at GameFaqs here. Then feel free to leave feedback and comment here

Sports Talker

I have to respectfully disagree with most. I think getting the game to operate on the Sega CD was quite a technical accomplishment.
    First off, I love the look of early flat shaded polygon titles like Virtua Racing 32X, Virtua Fighter 32X, Shadow Squadron 32X, and Silpheed for the Sega CD. Starblade fits right in with these.

But to the conversion, I can tell they used some neat tricks to get it operational. I can see the FMV and I can see some flat shaded polygons. Specifically, I am most impressed with the wireframe models used for some of the larger ships and objects. Pretty cool, I know the Sega CD and Genesis can barely generate any filled polygons, so this is a neat workaround. It is also one of the few uses of wireframe models that I can remember from Sega's 16-bit years...the others being the highly regarded Ranger-X for the Genesis and parts of the final boss in Knuckles Chaotix 32X.

Too bad the team leader is so annoying Just do your job already, guy. Stop bugging me so much!

For what its worth, i thought the graphics in Sega CD Starblade were pretty damn nice(even if they're a downgrade from the arcade).

Japanese sites are saying that Technosoft did Sega CD Starblade and some SFC pachinko games for Telenet. I'm not sure I'd chisel that in stone, but it's interesting if true.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

I have to disagree with this... do you hate the game Starblade on ALL systems or just the Sega CD port?

Starblade in the arcade was an Experience... almost like a roller coaster ride. It made you feel a part of something grand and all you had to do was shoot stuff... that said it's all polish without much depth being a fixed rail shooter, sort of like the light gun type rail shooter games (Time Crisis) minus the light gun. The gameplay itself doesn't have terribly high replay value, yet I still replay it for nostalgia because it was an experience I loved at the time. It's something best experienced only occasionally rather than every day - you could argue that Galaga is "repetitive" because it's just shooting, and the progression of enemies on each screen is the same too yet it at least has more variety and changes more based on what you shoot.

The Sega CD port, such as it is, admittedly suffers, perhaps most of all by not being full screen. Just like playing Doom on a 386 with the window shrunk down on an already small CRT you lose immersion. If Sega CD Starblade were the only version I had i'd still replay it just maybe without as much enthusiasm. It probably would have been better full screen even if resolution suffered as a result. It's mildly confusing why full screen wasn't possible though - this doesn't have to be FMV compression, it's polygons, and like Out Of This World polygons done right can give full screen any res without trouble. They could have put more effort in.

Master of Shinobi

Been replaying various versions of this lately, and this version is so close to being an excellent port. It might have the nicest feeling controls out of all of the contemporary ports, and I can forgive the wireframes being used instead of filled polygons (for speed I assume). What's harder to forgive is the continue system. Every other version lets you continue exactly where you left off; this version doesn't, it uses checkpoints. Some of these checkpoints (especially in the section after you've destroyed Red Eye) are not very fair. I can only assume that this was done to increase the difficulty, and I do not approve.

Updated for the new review.

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

Excellent review Barone, meticulously researched as expected. Had no idea about stuff like the rapid fire mod for the JP arcade version, and the boss timeout differences between this and the 32 bit ports.

I have played the original arcade back in the early nineties and the booming audio from the cab was certainly very impressive. Still haven't got the Mega CD port though!

Master of Shinobi

+1. I hope there will be more Barone reviews like this one. Still many regular mid to high profile games to be reviewed on stock console alone (see here for the top 10 imo)
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cart sizes @ Top 5 @ Top 250 @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150) @ best European games

Wildside Expert

What a great, well researched review. Well done Barone it was a pleasure to read.

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by OverDrone View Post
    Excellent review Barone, meticulously researched as expected. Had no idea about stuff like the rapid fire mod for the JP arcade version, and the boss timeout differences between this and the 32 bit ports.

I have played the original arcade back in the early nineties and the booming audio from the cab was certainly very impressive. Still haven't got the Mega CD port though!
    Quote Originally Posted by chilled View Post
    +1. I hope there will be more Barone reviews like this one. Still many regular mid to high profile games to be reviewed on stock console alone (see here for the top 10 imo)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sut View Post
    What a great, well researched review. Well done Barone it was a pleasure to read.
    Thanks for the kind comments, guys. It took me a while to put it together.
    Nice to see a positive reaction to my first ever game review.

@chilled
    Darius is on my radar; one of the reasons is the fact that it does share some of the same Japanese cult following that Starblade has and most of the reviews of the game are rather shallow and nonsense to some extent.
    Other than that, I'd like to write an article on the MD/SCD/32X racing library, ignoring mediocre shit like Super Monaco GP and highlighting some of the "hidden gems" it has.

Master of Shinobi

may I suggest you start by tackling F1 WCE and Metal Fangs, then, which are not reviewed on this site. And then you can educate us on all those obscure Japanese F1 exclusives you seem to care much about
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cart sizes @ Top 5 @ Top 250 @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150) @ best European games

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by chilled View Post
    may I suggest you start by tackling F1 WCE and Metal Fangs, then, which are not reviewed on this site. And then you can educate us on all those obscure Japanese F1 exclusives you seem to care much about
    Metal Fangs is kinda boring after a little while; it's just too short and the gameplay is quite limited.
    I played to the end several years ago (https://www.sega-16.com/forum/showth...l=1#post692647).
    The coolest part about it is the cyberpunk portraits inspired by 80s pop culture celebrities.

F1 WCE would require a deeper analysis of all Vroom engine descendants to really see where it's at. As an F1 game, it's quite passable in a lot of ways but it does have several interesting characteristics.
    I think it could have been better had they not exaggerated some aspects of the car handling and adopted better "rules" for when the car hits something.

Thread Information