Quantcast

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Alien 3

Does this game use Mode 1 on certain levels for the SNES?

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

A great platform shoot-'em-up that owes far more to the second film Aliens in the superb acid drenched sci-fi franchise than it does to Alien 3. There were no guns in the film Alien 3 and only one adult xenomorph but there's plenty of both in this very fun and tense game. Finding all the cocooned slap-headed convicts before the time runs out is heart in your mouth stuff, especially when you're treated to a gory scene of them giving birth to chest-bursters if you fail to find them all! I also want to say that the music alone is almost worth getting the game for, fantastic stuff, especially the score for level 4, easily one of the best pieces of music ever written for a game.

And I thought that Aliens Konami coin-op was hard! This is pure [licensed] arcade goodness that despite its tremendous difficulty, often incites the player to give it another go. It's too bad I never managed to get it rented nor borrowed and only played it seriously as an adult: I'm pretty positive it would have been a favourite of mine.
    This game is all about reflexes, memorization and fast shooting. Graphics are very nice despite of not being the pinnacle of variety and the soundtrack is from maestro Matt Furniss, which is always a huge plus.
    As many people say, this game is leagues better than the movie. And I have to add I don't dislike Alien 3 (it's just that Alien and Aliens were such tough acts to follow).
    Last edited by bigladiesman; 11-28-2021 at 07:21 PM.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Drive Bowlsey View Post
    especially the score for level 4, easily one of the best pieces of music ever written for a game.
    oh my god yes!

Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cart sizes @ Top 5 @ Top 250 @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150) @ best European games

Master of Shinobi

Nice music, fitting graphics, but I would have enjoyed the game a whole lot more without the timer.

I know the timer is there so that you have to learn the level layouts before you stand a chance at completing the game, therefore extending its life, but I've never had enough patience for it. Not now, not when I was a kid. If the timer was a little more forgiving maybe I'd enjoy it more, but as it stands it's basically "find the optimum route or die".

Quote Originally Posted by Silanda View Post
    Nice music, fitting graphics, but I would have enjoyed the game a whole lot more without the timer.

I know the timer is there so that you have to learn the level layouts before you stand a chance at completing the game, therefore extending its life, but I've never had enough patience for it. Not now, not when I was a kid. If the timer was a little more forgiving maybe I'd enjoy it more, but as it stands it's basically "find the optimum route or die".
    Well, you can try this hack that eliminates the timer, amongst other nice tweaks:

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4213/

We have a hacking community that deserve an Olympus for them only.

Thread Information