Quantcast

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Columns

"In Columns, there’s no choice. Whether you like it or not, you’re delivered nothing but ladders, so the screen fills more quickly, allowing less latitude for strategic movement and pattern manipulation."

Probably why the game is called "Columns" or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Kollision View Post
    Columns sucks?
    Ah well tell me about Tetris then, one of the most boring and overrated games of all time...
    Columns owns Tetris in every way imaginable.
    I agree
    VISUAL SHOCK!
    SPEED SHOCK!
    SOUND SHOCK!
    NOW IS TIME TO THE 68000 HEART ON FIRE!

Prince of Persia 2 - The Shadow and the Flame Remastered Edition v1.5

The reviewer is entitled to have her opinion. As for me, I strongly disagree. This was one of my 4 first games on the MD, and while I confess it was a bit of the black sheep of this initial collection, it grew on me as I got older. But first of all, it brings some special memories: it's one of the very few games I played with my mother, who didn't touch any more videogames until we got the Wii about 15 years later (from then on she's been more willing to play, with Buzz and those Hasbro Gaming/Ubisoft casual software). [Sept. 2018 update: Now I've gotten her hooked on Knowledge Is Power for the PS4].
    But I disgress: as I said a couple of lines above, I've grown to appreciate this game over the years, after playing games like Puyo Puyo (or rather, Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine)on MD or Block Out on my first Windows computer.
    Columns is a colorful puzzle game with a twist that makes me think it's actually more challenging than Tetris itself: you play with switchable horizontal tiles and then connect them in a glorified game of tic-tac-toe. The graphics are beautiful for a puzzle game, and the solemn Ancient Greek theme makes it pretty unique. Surprisingly, the only thing I don't like is the music. I find it depressing (but at least it's better than Tetris' raping of Russian folk music).

Several months ago, after not being able to locate a working GG to replace my old one, I decided to start collecting for the GBC my bro made us buy during the Pokémon craze and then forgot. My first buy? A Tetris cartridge. And believe me, I would never bought it if it wasn't for that colorful Sega game that introduced me to puzzle videogaming. So, Tetris rules? Yes it does. Columns sucks? Not a chance: It shines and always will.
    Last edited by bigladiesman; 09-25-2018 at 05:05 PM.

I *think* that I have all the Columns I need, although I am thinking there are a couple of combinations I may be missing when it comes to boxed items... for now I am covered enough to do a typical compare, although I do not have any of the original boxes.

For Columns in the US, there are 3 boxes:
    1. original grid box
    2. Sega Classic rated by VRC
    3. Sega Classic rated by ESRB

There are 2 manuals:
    1. Color manual
    2. black and white manual

There are x carts:
    1. Sega Made in Japan
    2. Sega Made in Tailand
    3. Sega Assembled in USA
    4. Stripe NFR, Sega Made in Japan
    5. Circle NFR, Sega Assembled in USA*

* This was the last one to get, and I just notice that the Columns name on the top label is in small dark orange text, rather than all the other carts which have large bright orange text. AND I forgot to take a picture of this.

Well let's go with the pictures I do have. Perhaps later when I get some of the original boxes, I can update later.

Sega Classic (red version) two releases: VRC and ESRB. VRC version has the flat silver Genesis logo and ESRB has a white logo.

The backs are the same, except the ESRB version has the "Kids to Adults" text block. The copyright text is different and in a different font.

Spines, same, different color text matches above.

Insides show same plastic shell, but different manuals and inserts.

Regular carts shown here. The one to the left is Made in Tailand. For the ones I have here, the VRC has Made in Japan cart and the ESRB has Assembled in USA cart.

Here are the backs:

And these two NFRs:

So the circle NFR having the different text makes me think there is the possibility it is the Canadian label instead of the US.

Imgur album:
    https://imgur.com/a/PoaRXnH
    Sega Genesis Master Set Collector
    https://vgcollect.com/Tripredacus/gen

I wish there was way for people to hide these huge-ass images behind a spoiler tag or something.

Anyways, I found myself playing a little bit of Columns last night - a soothing and relaxing experience, with an interesting game system that keeps you sort of mesmerized ( simpler, but much more interesting than part III ).

It's an excellent puzzle game to play when you're tired, unlike the superior but much more frentic and demanding Puyo-Puyo; not having to deal with the CPU throwing shit at you is also nice - here it's just you trying to best yourself.

I think more developers could learn a thing or two from Columns tight and minimalist design.

And Clotho sure is a nice track.
    [ QCF, HCB + K ]

Quote Originally Posted by Bottino View Post
    I wish there was way for people to hide these huge-ass images behind a spoiler tag or something.
    Well they aren't the "huge ass images" as they could be put. Using this size allows for better visibilty than the thumbnails, and a person can go to the album link to view the larger images.

Japanese Sonic CD FTW!!! Master of Shinobi Ecco's Avatar

I think most people just don't think of big images freezing up people's computers anymore, since it's not the late 90's lol. But I guess it's probably a problem on phones and other smaller devices.

Yes maybe the dimensions do not work on mobile. The file sizes are not very big tho, fortunately Imgur actually generates the different sizes instead of using the original image.

Toejam is a wiener. Master of Shinobi SEGA-Jorge's Avatar

it's a shame that Columns didn't have a proper versus mode till Columns III. Luckily, that game isn't totally impossible to find. Honestly, I was never a fan of the aesthetic though. I like the mysterious tone of the original game, as well as the soundtrack.

Thread Information