Quantcast

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Castlevania Bloodlines

Default Castlevania Bloodlines

Finally, could it really be a Castlevania game for the Genesis? After years of turning a deaf ear to anything Sega, Konami finally hears the cries from fans and delivers a title to the 16-bit wonder. What's even more amazing is that it isn't a port of any of the NES or SNES games; it's an original chapter in the Castlevania mythos. But is it any good? Read our full review and find out!
    Last edited by Melf; 07-19-2011 at 01:13 PM.

Child in Time Nameless One Antony's Avatar

Just one comment for the different versions: for some reason, the PAL/EURO version seems to lack some of the (pixelated/lo-res and harmless of course) "violence" that the Jap version had, and which was not removed from the US port. E.g. the zombies of the first stage are green.

Bloodlines is great, being a Castlevania fan on the NES, the megadrive version was a BIG step up, ahh memorys.

Half-asses "spinoff" like most other stuff from Konami for the MD. Some backgrounds are worse than 80s SMS games...
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

I like how the author of the review blames the Genesis for any shortcoming, including control. What a maroon! What an ignoramus! Stiff control due to the Genesis' control scheme? Please. The sound didn't "take a hit", either. It's not the best on the system, but it's certainly not bad.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

It's been too long since I've played Bloodlines, but I can say that the graphics are way better than Castlevania IV (although I think that CIV's graphics are bad) and the music is real Castlevania music, whereas CIV has ambient non-music. After a recent playing of CIV, I can say with confidence that the controls in Bloodlines are also way better.

Grandmaster's Reckoning ESWAT Veteran Knuckle Duster's Avatar

Bloodlines is timeless.

The controls, and presentation are perfect. The story is unique within the franchise and holds up well.

The two characters play differently enough to warrant multiple play throughs.

The game is rock solid for a traditional Castlevania title.

If you don't own it, you're missing out.

I don't think that Bloodlines ever reaches CIV, that game is the most epic old-school Castlevania, but it's still a million times better than the SNES half-assed port of Rondo of Blood (called "Dracula X" and "Vampire's Kiss" in western markets).

This is one of my favorite Castlevania games. This needs to be released on the Wii Virtual Console.

I like the music more than snes iv
    1 XB360, 1 md2, 1 mcd2, 1 snes, 1 ms adapter, 1 Nes, 2Gamegears (for playing sor co op)
    http://soundcloud.com/djtwok

Move Between worlds Raging in the Streets TheEdge's Avatar

Lets just say that if I didn't have castlevania bloodlines in my genesis collection than it wouldn't be complete. Great game worthy of the Castlevania name.

Still wondering why it didn't have more levels though Maybe one or two more boards would have really hit the spot
    "A Radical is One Who Speaks the Truth"

http://the-coolinator-lounge.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by beef jerky man View Post
    There's not many people willing to go against the grain, which explains why we're in such a dilapidated state. I personally commend The Edge for being so resilient.

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    It's been too long since I've played Bloodlines, but I can say that the graphics are way better than Castlevania IV (although I think that CIV's graphics are bad) and the music is real Castlevania music, whereas CIV has ambient non-music.
    I have to disagree with your comment about SC4 music as being ambient non-music. It's anything but ambient non-music (okay, maybe the opening stage with the drawbridge may be ambient non-music). It's one of the few SNES games whose soundtrack I really enjoy. If you want, I can provide you with a mp3 rip of the SC4 soundtrack (I own the actual original Japanese 2 CD soundtrack) to give you better listen.

Yeah, SCIV has one of the most amazing soundtracks of that era.

Bloodlines has great music as well. Almost all of the tracks are enjoyable, they fit the mood of the levels, and are original compositions, not recyling of previous NES/SNES Castlevania music. Of course, when familiar tracks like Vampire Killer, Bloody Tears and Simon's theme appear, they give you the chills, something few 16-bit soundtracks can achieve

(as far as I know the soundtrack was released in Japan together with that of PCE's Dracula X: Rondo of Blood as a 2-CD album)

I always preferred Bloodlines, but I will admit I have a Sega bias.

However, when being as subjective as possible, I still think Bloodlines is more fun. I really love the use of paralax scrolling, and the bosses are amazing!

Thread Information