Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forgotten Franchises: Streets of Rage

Mad Forgotten Franchises: Streets of Rage

It would seem like a no-brainer that Streets of Rage would be brought back for another installment, doesn't it?

Not to the company that released it.

Time and time again, hope for another sequel has been crushed by the corporate boot. Even the game's creators have tried to resurrect it and were unsuccessful. The company just doesn't seem to want to be bothered with the series any more.

So where did Streets of Rage go wrong? How did it fall from a first rate series to forgotten franchise? There's some history to that, so read on and prepared to get pissed.
    Last edited by Melf; 09-16-2011 at 10:26 AM.

Didn't Sega of America say they weren't familiar with the franchise or something? Yet there were 3 titles on the Genesis and Streets of Rage 2 was a pack-in game at one point. The only way I'd really want a sequel now is if it was in 2D and on the DS or PSP(though I don't own either I'll probably buy a DS for the Castlevania series). I definitely don't want a 3D edition after playing Final Fight Streetwise, ugh.

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

Sega of Japan recently released Bare Knuckle Mobile, a remake of the GG version of BK for mobile phones.
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Christuserloeser View Post
    Sega of Japan recently released Bare Knuckle Mobile, a remake of the GG version of BK for mobile phones.
    That game seems impossible to get a hold of if you're not Japanese,
    i searched my ass off for this, i want to see more of what they did
    then just those 4 screen shots that can be viewed everywhere.

I wouldn't like to see a new Streets of Rage now. After SEGA released that horrible new versions of Golden Axe, Nights and Alien Syndrome, I can't think that they would make a good Streets of Rage. Probably, it would be as disappointing as Final Fight Streetwise.

Beat'em up is a genre that couldn't make well into 3D polygonal worlds. There's not a single one that is comparable to the classics of late 80s and early 90s.

Raider of the lost skip Nameless One h00n's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WikiRafa View Post
    I wouldn't like to see a new Streets of Rage now. After SEGA released that horrible new versions of Golden Axe, Nights and Alien Syndrome, I can't think that they would make a good Streets of Rage. Probably, it would be as disappointing as Final Fight Streetwise.

Beat'em up is a genre that couldn't make well into 3D polygonal worlds. There's not a single one that is comparable to the classics of late 80s and early 90s.
    Tekken 3 man. The Tekken Force thing is great, although it lacks a little refinement. But if the whole game was Tekken Force rather than a side game
    with tweaked movement then it would be also great. Tekken force is super fun and an example of what could be done with a modern walk along and beat the crap outta people game.

CHICKEN!

Ahem. I think you speak outta nostalgia anyways. The Tekken franchise is bloody great. DOA is also great, if a game that leads to a bit of discomfert when your playing it with a group of guys... Soul caliber on the Dreamcast mmm tasty. let alone its playstation iterations. Guilty gear = super fun. Another Dreamcast gem = Project Justice: Rival Schools 2. Now in terms of all out zany superfun that game kicks the proverbial. And i strongly suggest you check it out if you have a Dreamcast. There are loads of others that are worth a play. The Dreamcast has some amazing fighting games as does the 3 Playstations and 2 X boxes. What they lack is walking along beating people up in hordes on the street games. A modern SOR with a refined combo structure, all the playable charectors from previos games + extras for duel mode and a fighting game side view, but 3d Could be the greatest thing ever. If done with respect and handled with care. Odds of that unfortunatley are low.

Real Gamers Wear Monocles Master of Shinobi mick_aka's Avatar

Fighting Force was developed originally as a Sega Saturn exclusive under the name Streets of Rage 4, but Sega had a disagreement with core over porting to other systems and pulled the SoR name, hence Fighting Force.

As for re-launching the brand, Sega would obviously have to take a very different approach to fighting force, I'd love to see a HD 3D beat-em-up with cell shaded characters faithful to the original game, because let's face it a 2D SoR rebirth is about as likely as Dreamcast 2 launching

Quote Originally Posted by MrSega
    When I speculate, I post sources to back up my claims.

Quote Originally Posted by mick_aka View Post
    Fighting Force was developed originally as a Sega Saturn exclusive under the name Streets of Rage 4, but Sega had a disagreement with core over porting to other systems and pulled the SoR name, hence Fighting Force.

As for re-launching the brand, Sega would obviously have to take a very different approach to fighting force, I'd love to see a HD 3D beat-em-up with cell shaded characters faithful to the original game, because let's face it a 2D SoR rebirth is about as likely as Dreamcast 2 launching
    I had never heard that before; pretty interesting.

It's just as well that they changed the name, though. Fighting Force was a decent game, but it was no Streets of Rage.

Banned by Administrators

Quote Originally Posted by WikiRafa View Post

Agreed. Streets of Rage now just wouldn't be the same. They probably wouldn't bring back the same artists and musicians.

A Fabio Gunstar Wildside Expert moonmaster1's Avatar

to make a good streets of rage game, you have to nitpick and stay close to alot of small details.

I highly doubt today's youthful game makers care much for gameplay perks. but then again the age of realistic 3D makes that kinda hard to accomplish.

Quote Originally Posted by mick_aka View Post

That gamer was never gonna be SoR4 at first. It was always FF. Sega thought about licensing it for SoR4 but that fizzled out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoltor View Post
    Japan on the other hand is in real danger, if Japanese men don't start liking to play with their woman, more then them selves, experts calculated the Japanese will be extinct within 300 years.

Raging in the Streets A Black Falcon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Shocker View Post
    That gamer was never gonna be SoR4 at first. It was always FF. Sega thought about licensing it for SoR4 but that fizzled out.
    Actually, the game did start out as a Saturn game, even though the final version wasn't released on the platform but just on PSX, PC, and N64. A prototype version of the Saturn version titled "Judgement Force", from after Sega dropped it as SoR4 but before they came up with the final title, leaked out last year. Evidently the Saturn version was actually completed, supposedly, but not released... the complete version hasn't leaked, yet at least.

Anyway, why do you think it wasn't started as SoR4? All the evidence I have seen says that it was...

Anyway, it wasn't that good a game, so it's better that it wasn't Streets of Rage 4. A fourth Streets of Rage should be as good as the first three, and that game definitely wasn't that.

If they did that new Golden Axe we are possible we might see a SOR release soon... Maybe?

Premier of the Guild Outrunner Ghaleon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by A2600 View Post
    If they did that new Golden Axe we are possible we might see a SOR release soon... Maybe?
    Well, if Melf's take on Beast Rider is any indication, you may well wish they hadn't (if they ever do).

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

In theory it would be possible to do a new Bare Knuckle game - if they hire some of the old artists and kept it 2D like KOF XII:

...and Koshiro doing FM chiptunes.
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

Thread Information