Quantcast

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Top 100 Genesis games of all time

Super Robot Raging in the Streets Obviously's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Demonic Weasel
    That's not quite accurate, but you get the point. It's like like comparing a video game to a movie. All they will automatically have in common is flashing lights. Otherwise it's a useless comparison.

But the Wing Commander games are games and movies starting with the third part o f the series

Proud 16-bit War Veteran ESWAT Veteran David J.'s Avatar

Top 10 Genesis games...

1. Slaughter Sport
    2. Batman Forever
    3. Awesome Possum
    4. Action 52
    5. Wayne's World
    6. Terminator 2 Judgment Day
    7. Dark Castle
    8. Barney's Hide and Seek
    9. Captain America & the Avengers
    10. Street Smart
    The smell of scorched oil hangs in the air as a premonition of danger, while the engine gloriously shouts its war cry...

Throughout history, suspicion has always bred conflict. The real conflict, though, resides in people's hearts. This conflict has just begun.

nes x-men nes x-men nes x-men

I think my sarcasm meter just exploded....

you ARE being sarcastic, right?

RIGHT??

Old & Hardcore

Quote Originally Posted by David J.
    Top 10 Genesis games...

1. Slaughter Sport
    2. Batman Forever
    3. Awesome Possum
    4. Action 52
    5. Wayne's World
    7. Dark Castle
    10. Street Smart

Hey, there's nothing wrong with those games. Well notheing a hammer couldn't take care of! But I would put Action 52 at the top. I mean look at all the games it has!
    Currently Playing: whatever I can get my hands on!

I think by genre & by year would be the best way to do it (though the list size would have to vary by year, or be a small number like 10-20 since some genres are uncommon or hard to define), but any way is fine really, just set up some rules so we can get started

I believe something like a modified imdb (internet movie database) would be the best solution. I know it would take a while to give each game an individual rating, but you would only rate the games you played this way.

Basically, I envision it like this. A base list of the top 50 are created by a group of so called "experts." At the same time, all games are given ratings by users on a 1-10 or 1-100 scale. Then, 50% of the ratings are factored in from the expert group, 50% by the general users. Making seperate genre subgroups and year subgroups would be too complicated, time consuming, and not worthwhile. Comedies are rated against dramas on imdb, so i think that you could do the same thing here and get adequate representation from nearly all genres that produce good games.

This would be a big draw for me, as I know I came to this site to find the best games that I've never played for genesis.

Top 10 Genesis games...

1. Slaughter Sport
    2. Batman Forever
    3. Awesome Possum
    4. Action 52
    5. Wayne's World
    7. Dark Castle
    10. Street Smart
    Keep most of the games on that list. Get rid of T2 (I actually found the tune at the beginning of the game to be good) and replace it with Heavy Nova. Trust me Heavy Nova should be the second worst Genesis game with Dark Castle being first. Awesome Possum is worst than Batman Forever. I was actually able to get used to Batman Forever, but is still a poor game (I would give the game an F instead of an F- like many people would (Including VGC). Dark Castle is so broken that you think that the game is unfinished.
    "O Rly"

Master of Shinobi ary incorparated's Avatar

Luckily you kept the screenshots then i probaly have my eyebals lying on the keys.Man the Horrid why why put them in a compilation and port it too the snes make him misserable yeah yeah heheheheh.

So is this going to happen now guys or not?

I'd still like to see it done.
    Collectively, I would imagine that the Sega-16 crowd has played every commercially-released Genesis/Mega Drive game out there in one form or another, so there's no reason why we couldn't distill the library down to its finest few. There's a sizeable chunk of the Genesis army that can be ruled out of the top 50 race, and there are an easily-identified 100-200 quality titles that can be viewed as contenders to consider.

One very important thing to define, though - would these games be judged purely on their current gaming merit, or would we let ourselves be influenced by how important/fun they were at the time? For instance, as much as I might have a soft spot for Altered Beast, it does not deserve to be on a top 50 list for true quality alone.

..and using similar reasoning, I don't think that this list should include proportionate genre representation just for fairness's sake. If the game is genuinely good, include it. It should not be there because we feel obliged to add another *insert genre slang*.
    Last edited by Drixxel; 09-29-2006 at 09:54 PM.

^

Yes, I do agree, such matters as quality and personal taste need to be discussed over. I have a HUGE soft spot for the James Pond games, whilst obviously they are not what you would call, "good quality" games at all. Plus, Sonic The Hedgehog is not really of a high quality itself, rather, Sonic 3 & Knuckles is a higher quality, see what happens there? This really does need to be decided.

Death Adder's minion

Top 10 Genesis games...

1. Slaughter Sport
    2. Batman Forever
    3. Awesome Possum
    4. Action 52
    5. Wayne's World
    7. Dark Castle
    10. Street Smart

Slaughter Sport, my introduction to fighting games. I still enjoy it quite a bit, though I played the shit out of it when I was younger.

My opinion differs greatly from the typical guys that played it for 45 seconds in a ROM and decided to review it.

Nameless One

I know I am only a "noob" to you folks here, but I have been delving into the Genesis (and dozens of other consoles...) since I was a lad in the mid seventies. That being said....

Sheeesh, this is going to be hard. There are so MANY great games for the Genesis. Granted, there are a HEAP of duds, but cripes, look at all the GOLD. Titles like Sonic, Streets of Rage 2, Shinobi, Columns, Golden Axe, altered Beast, Lightning Force, Phantasy Star, Ranger X, etc...etc....ETC. It says a LOT about a game, and its creator(s) and concept that it is still enjoyed TODAY in a world of 'X-box' and games that consist of raping hookers and faces exploding in "full 3-D" These were q u a l i t y titles....well developed and c r a f t e d....true rarities in what is now a Jerry Bruckheimer "BOOM...BANG....TITS...POW...ALIENS....BOOOOM" society. Just my three cents...

-JD

A top ten list would be more efficient and interesting. Although, it'll be pretty tough to narrow down so many great games and THEN rank them in order.

Man, actually, that wouldn't be efficient at all.

Raging in the Streets

Lists are kind of a non-article. How can you sum up hundreds of games into one top 10? Why not twelve? Sixteen? Eighty-four?

How about a feature on interesting ideas in games - say, games that used sampled speech? There's that American football game, Altered Beast, Comix Zone, Awesome Possum (sorry, but it's used pretty well if it weren't for the time delay between wisecracks), even Space Harrier II used that 'AAaaaargh' sound. Hell, Sonic 1 was probably the first game ever to sound off its creators and go SEEEEGAAAAA.

How about a feature on 'It Can Do Whaaaat?' featuring the sprite scaling, FMV and rotation in Red Zone, those animations in the -Strike series, parallax abuse in Eliminate Down, the spinning special stages in Sonic 1 and S&K, interlaced 2player mode in Sonic 2, and of course Gunstar Heroes and other games that push the Mega Drive to its limits.

edit: or 'Mega Drive Did It First'. Sonic's role in the 90s furry character cliche, for example, or the whole Mortal Kombat thing. Or the explosion of the whole fanboy culture - Genesis Does, Pirate TV (SEGA) vs. Rik Mayall (Nintendo), and so on.
    Last edited by Elusive; 12-02-2006 at 04:04 PM.

Thread Information