Quantcast

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Alien Storm

Social Justice Ninja Master of Shinobi IrishNinja's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Christuserloeser View Post
    It's definitely the weakest game of the bunch (Golden Axe, Streets of Rage, Alien Storm) but it's not terrible or anything. Its main issue seems to be the music, otherwise it's pretty much Golden Axe with aliens.
    i like it better than Golden Axe. so there.

Super Robot Raging in the Streets Obviously's Avatar

I always preferred it over Golden Axe as well, though I agree the music is pretty weak.

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

Agreed on the collision detection, the enemy AI is a bit less one-dimensional than Golden Axe though so has let the game age a bit (a lot) better IMO.

The music however, pretty good if you ask me, through my stereo anyway. Some real funky stuff going on there with interesting instruments used. I seem to be in the minority there unfortunately.

Sports Talker

I don't want to say anything bad about golden axe but I'll just say, I find the character and enemy design, and level backdrops (except those first two) to be much much cooler in alien storm. and the multiple modes of play keep things interesting and always fun.

the music is basically fine with a couple tracks that I like fairly well. I just wish they included the theme music from the arcade game, even if it was like only accessible via the menu. with all the stuff they had to cut from this game, if the cart was like 1 meg bigger this game would have been one of the all time classic genesis games.

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IrishNinja View Post
    i like it better than Golden Axe. so there.
    Well, I like both better than I did in 2010 so there! =P

And yeah, while not insanely great the music actually isn't as terrible as I remembered it.
    Last edited by retrospiel; 08-05-2014 at 04:55 PM.
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

Ughh! I just purchased this game from a local game store (almost $40 too). Ouch! What a disappointing game to say the least. This is really boring and tedious. Too many enemies in some parts and poor collision detection really put this off. The game is just to repetitive and the music is pretty forgettable to say the least. It's a collection piece now for me only, sadly.
    Check out my review channel at GameFaqs here. Then feel free to leave feedback and comment here

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vintagegamecrazy View Post
    Ughh! I just purchased this game from a local game store (almost $40 too). Ouch! What a disappointing game to say the least. This is really boring and tedious. Too many enemies in some parts and poor collision detection really put this off. The game is just to repetitive and the music is pretty forgettable to say the least. It's a collection piece now for me only, sadly.
    Coincidentally I was playing this only last night and, having really enjoyed this game as a kid, I'm more forgiving towards it's flaws. Alien Storm plays like a sci-fi Golden Axe, featuring aliens and arcade style shoot-'em-up sections. Learning crowd control is essential when dealing with enemies because, as you say, there are a LOT of them and they will quickly swamp you. This can be very frustrating due to the dodgy collision detection, as you pointed out. I only have the game in the form of the Mega Games 3 compilation, but if I see it in the wild as a stand alone title I will add it to my collection because, as I said, I enjoyed it as a kid. Oh and I always really liked the music in this game, especially in the later levels. Quite atmospheric I thought. Ultimately Alien Storm is no Golden Axe, and certainly no Streets of Rage, but despite it's flaws it's a decent enough arcade style romp that can be quite fun, especially in two player mode.

Super Sexy Sega Master of Shinobi cowboyscowboys's Avatar

I don't get the collision detection complaints. They always seemed good to me.
    Beat Em Up- Streets of Rage 2
    Platformer- Sonic 3 and Knuckles
    Run and Gun- Gunstar Heroes
    Adventure- Story of Thor
    Action- Shinobi 3

Master of Shinobi midnightrider's Avatar

Been a while since I played this one myself, but I found it enjoyable enough.

Who do you guys prefer? I find I like the guy the best, precisely because he doesn't knock the enemies as far away. He can close in and finish them off while they're down before knocking them off screen.

Several days ago, I heard someone calling Alien Storm something the likes of "a B-series Golden Axe". Well after finding out about the parodic humor on the original coin-op, that could be a correct assertion.
    Taken at face value, though, the GA similarity is only a part of what this game is about: we also have two types of shooter levels that warrant some variety.

Another fine game I didn't experience until adultness, but in that case, I think that it was that I wasn't actually interested on Alien Storm as a kid

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Fozzy's Avatar

One of my favorite Genesis games. I revisit the Storm every so often just to get my alien busting mojo back. If you had Alien Syndrome for the Master System and Alien Storm for the Genesis you were doing alright.

Thread Information