Quantcast

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Alien Storm

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

I totally missed out on playing Alien Storm during my heavy MD years (91/96)
    But i always knew this game existed, so when the day finally came that i purchased it from ebay i was ecstatic.

sadly the game turned out to not be much fun when played alone.
    Maybe its better with two players?

hmm, will have to give this one a try again.

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

It's definitely the weakest game of the bunch (Golden Axe, Streets of Rage, Alien Storm) but it's not terrible or anything. Its main issue seems to be the music, otherwise it's pretty much Golden Axe with aliens.
    So, if you and your buddy do enjoy the occasional Golden Axe 1 or 2 on MD, chances are you'll also enjoying Alien Storm.
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

Wildside Expert

I spent a little while with this game again today. This is just crazy...

The second stage got aliens actually EATING buildings.
    What other game is there where you can say you got dragged into the mouth of a giant slug by a green man coming out of it?

I made it to the last level, then I went blind - pink backgrounds with green alien face slug things running and jumping around.

I think I have to change my mind a little bit. This game is bad. This game is REALLY, REALLY bad, it's actually so bad it's good again.

One thing I noticed while playing is that the collision detection is completely off. Sometimes I get hit by stuff that's not even close to me, on the other hand the second boss, that giant mutated pineapple thing, shot me several times with the explosion sprites matching my yellow flamethrowergirl perfectly and nothing happened at all.

Raging in the Streets SEGA.GENESIS1989's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MarbleMagic View Post
    I spent a little while with this game again today. This is just crazy...

The second stage got aliens actually EATING buildings.
    What other game is there where you can say you got dragged into the mouth of a giant slug by a green man coming out of it?

I made it to the last level, then I went blind - pink backgrounds with green alien face slug things running and jumping around.

I think I have to change my mind a little bit. This game is bad. This game is REALLY, REALLY bad, it's actually so bad it's good again.

One thing I noticed while playing is that the collision detection is completely off. Sometimes I get hit by stuff that's not even close to me, on the other hand the second boss, that giant mutated pineapple thing, shot me several times with the explosion sprites matching my yellow flamethrowergirl perfectly and nothing happened at all.
    Double M:
    I agree wholeheartedly with your sentiments. Back in the early 90s i missed purchasing this game. it was only recently that I added this game to my ever growing collection. After playing this game a number of times, I discovered the same thing: The collision detection is completely off. So much so, it simply turned me off from cracking open this game and finishing it once and for all. In two player mode, it does have some redeaming qualities but in single player mode it exudes pure frustration.

Pity rep is still rep. Raging in the Streets Mr Smith's Avatar

You people who disagree with me have no taste. Alien Storm was pre-X-Files alien originality awesomeness at its most awesome. Golden Axe has aged worse than Mickey Rourke.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamahl
    You my lord, are a poet and a scholar. Of death.

Love this game so much, it's just crazy fun and the style is awesome. I actually prefer it to Golden Axe and I think it has aged better due to it's fast pace and constantly changing gameplay.

This game (made by the same team, makers after Golden Axe) is disappointed and weaker in everything.
    It reminds me the "nanard" movies or bad sequels to a first good B movie : "Axe Battler and the alien things".
    Technically it is a step down : not full screen action, bad collision system, anecdotic music and sounds, etc.

Aperture Science! Death Adder's minion Robocop2's Avatar

Maybe so but it has a ROBOT, WITH AN ENERGY WHIP!!

Genesis STILL does! Outrunner runback22's Avatar

I always loved this game...one of my all time faves for reasons unknown

[/url]

Outrunner

We've finally managed to get quite a few of the classic Sega arcade titles available over the past few years (Shinobi, Golden Axe, Altered Beast come to mind) but unfortunately Alien Storm seems to have been mothballed. I'd like to see this emulated on current gen systems

Now with 33% more @$$! Master of Shinobi Assman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Azathoth View Post
    We've finally managed to get quite a few of the classic Sega arcade titles available over the past few years (Shinobi, Golden Axe, Altered Beast come to mind) but unfortunately Alien Storm seems to have been mothballed. I'd like to see this emulated on current gen systems
    Actually, it is. Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection has it. It's just not on XBLA or anything.

I didn't realize until recently that the Genesis port was a re-tooled version of the arcade, much in the same vein as "Shadow Dancer". I should try both of them out sometime.

I love alien storm i just think the mutating aliens are so weird,not sure about comparing it to Golden Axe though.I like GA and own the arcade board too (suicide battery but nevermind) ,i consider it a classic but i think i am sick of it.Alien Storm on the other hand has a slightly faster pace during play and the run along and shooting sections do help to break the game play up a little,on top of that it is slightly more a challenge as GA is quite easy even on single player.

Sports Talker

This game seems very odd if you are not familiar with the arcade game. The arcade game has this really cool urban ghostbusters kind of feel but with aliens instead of ghosts. It perfectly captures that scary/gross but light and humorous tone that ghostbusters and so much other stuff in the 80s had. The genesis game, while very cool, tosses out a lot of the content that built up the vibe of the original game.

Gone is the intro bit of the team working at the their hot dog truck and the funky theme song that plays along. And for some reason they added two rural levels at the very beginning of the game. This totally changes the feel of the game, and I feel really puts a lot of people off. But I still feel like the formula of the game basically works and is still quite cool. The shooting gallery stages are only mildly cut-down for the genesis version and are very cool.

Super Sexy Sega Master of Shinobi cowboyscowboys's Avatar

Better then Golden Axe 1 about on par with Golden Axe 2. At the end of the day all good games, I will never understand why Alien Storm gets way more hate out of the bunch (music maybe).
    Beat Em Up- Streets of Rage 2
    Platformer- Sonic 3 and Knuckles
    Run and Gun- Gunstar Heroes
    Adventure- Story of Thor
    Action- Shinobi 3

Thread Information